Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SWU on BA - U inventory available but AA can't upgrade me

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2022, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist

I have a DFW-LHR-AMS flight with the second flight on BA. Upgraded on DFW-LHR using a SWU. AA.com shows the same flight available for J purchase using miles

but AAgents either say that they should be able to clear it but can't seem to manage to do so. Any ideas or similar issues?
Old Nov 23, 2022, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LHR-AMS is 230 miles 1:20hr scheduled You may spend as much time driving/taxing/waiting around the airports as flying wheels up/wheels down
If like most BA Eu flights LHR-AMS business will be economy seat with middle blocked.
A map from the Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper
aztimm likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
LHR-AMS is 230 miles 1:20hr scheduled You may spend as much time driving/taxing/waiting around the airports as flying wheels up/wheels down
If like most BA Eu flights LHR-AMS business will be economy seat with middle blocked.
A map from the Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper
Regardless, OP should be able to get J for no additional cost given the use of the SWU on the TATL. HUCA?
wrp96, JJeffrey, Spiff and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you can get an exit seat in economy, you are better off than in business class, I would suggest

Business is not much more than economy with an empty middle seat

Maybe, the description that it permits upgrades on transatlantic flights was correct but it is only recently been implemented in the AA system
Old Nov 23, 2022, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm not super fussed about the actual flight - exit row is actually perfect as I fit vs the usual seats.

Just curious as to what's going on.
JJeffrey and LowValueCustomer like this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 10:29 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Recently I had to call about a schedule change on an AA TATL connecting to BA. I had already been upgraded on the AA segment with a SWU (expired in June). I didn’t even ask about the connecting flight as I was afraid that it might mess things up because the itinerary was way complicated and had a price change. The kind agent fixed my flights but then said my connection had space available and would get me upgraded. In the process they dropped a leg charged me more for the flights put me on hold for 1.5 hours, then took my number to call me back 2 more hours later fixed it and gave me my money back.

Moral of the story the BA upgrades are new and sometimes you need to HUCA.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 7:15 am
Suspended

Hold up...we can use SWU on BA now?
Old Nov 24, 2022, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B744F14C172
Yup. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...s-ba-live.html
Old Nov 24, 2022, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Yea, I've only done this once last month, but it took a while. This was VIE-LHR-RDU with LHR-RDU already cleared.

The agent initially said it wasn't possible, or that I needed to be on a full fare. I asked her to please check with her supervisor or rate desk etc., she comes back and says OK we can do it. I'm then put on and off hold for at least 10-15 mins while they process it.

Everything worked in the end but it for sure required a lot of pushing and pulling and help from the rate desk and what not. Definitely try HUCA.

And the fact that this is a short flight or that BA's short haul business class sucks is irrelevant and beside the point.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 7:23 am

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by B744F14C172
Indeed.

I’ve used four SWUs now (J—>F and one W —>J) without the intra-Europe leg and have generally had positive results, including itinerary changes.

That said, there was a situation where the agent said space was available, but not confirmable when processing the booking. Once it was ticketed, she was able to quickly confirm it. Everyone I’ve talked to has apologized given how new it is - which is understandable.
Antarius likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I wrote to AA inquiring as to why I wasn't able to use my SWU on this segment. 1 agent said that I couldn't use SWUs and the second was the one I wrote about above.

Will post back if I get a reply that's not boilerplate
ryanbriar likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.