Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Will I get a Complimentary Upgrade from Y to W on tomorrow's flight as an EXP?

Will I get a Complimentary Upgrade from Y to W on tomorrow's flight as an EXP?

Old Nov 24, 22, 9:43 am

Programs: DL Skymiles DM, Hertz President Circle, Enterprise Platinum, IHG, BW Diamond Select, AA EXP
Originally Posted by metallo View Post
Be careful what you wish for, though -- if SWUs are allowed for Y to PE at some point in the future, it's possible that they may no longer allow one to bypass PE for a Y to J upgrade if/when such a change is made. I suppose it could benefit passengers who have no status or any status lower than EP, though, as they currently have no way to upgrade into PE.

While there has been all sorts of speculation about the potential of that happening over the years (SWUs only allowing Y to PE, instead of Y to J), I think AA has been quite generous to continue to allow upgrades even from deep discount Y all the way to J with a single upgrade instrument.

The ability for a CK or EP to get a Y to PE upgrade for $0 on the day of departure seems just as generous. From what I recall, it was originally supposed to be a limited time sort of thing (presumably while they worked out how to allow PE upgrades with their current IT), but for whatever reason, the policy still seems to be in place. It's even better that it's done on the day of departure at the airport/gate, so it ensures paid premium cabin customers aren't being deprived of any benefits, either.
EXACTLY! This year Delta changed their GUC's (Global Upgrade Certs) to require PE (PS on DL) to upgrade to DL One. If booked in Main Cabin, GUC only gets you to PE. You have to burn a 2nd GUC then to go to DL One or waitlist for a DoD upgrade to DL One with a single certificate.

DoD upgrades for top-tier elites from main cabin to PE w/o needing a certificate if already waitlisted is a nice benefit for AA.
Old Nov 24, 22, 4:02 pm

Wow I’m glad you made your PE upgrade and posted this!

I am EXP and my partner is regular Platinum. In 2024 we will be doing our first European trip (ORD to FCO) and I was hoping to book Y and get PE if open, but it seems it’s not likely as the Y-PE is only domestic and only for the actual EXP, correct?

Trying to find my best way into business class or PE for us both, guess it’ll be Amex MR transfers, which I am horrible at figuring out, lol.
Old Nov 26, 22, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by AB Dada View Post
Wow Im glad you made your PE upgrade and posted this!

I am EXP and my partner is regular Platinum. In 2024 we will be doing our first European trip (ORD to FCO) and I was hoping to book Y and get PE if open, but it seems its not likely as the Y-PE is only domestic and only for the actual EXP, correct?

Trying to find my best way into business class or PE for us both, guess itll be Amex MR transfers, which I am horrible at figuring out, lol.
You can't transfer AMEX MR into AA ADV; you can do it for BA avios miles but I wouldn't recommend it since BA charges horrible fees for F and J awards.
AB Dada likes this.
Old Nov 28, 22, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), Amtrak S+, HH, DL, B6, MR
Originally Posted by AB Dada View Post
Trying to find my best way into business class or PE for us both, guess itll be Amex MR transfers, which I am horrible at figuring out, lol.
There's no direct transfer option from MR to AA. You have to go via Marriott or something like that, and lose a third of the points in the conversion. Of course that may be ok, depending on how you earn them and how you value them. Or you could just book via Amex travel and pay with MR instead.
AB Dada likes this.
Old Nov 29, 22, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp View Post
There's no direct transfer option from MR to AA. You have to go via Marriott or something like that, and lose a third of the points in the conversion. Of course that may be ok, depending on how you earn them and how you value them. Or you could just book via Amex travel and pay with MR instead.
Yeah I saw at AwardHacker it was all terrible valuations.

Guess I just won't fly AA or partners for that trip -- I was hoping to leverage EXP status to somehow get a better route to PE or business!
Old Yesterday, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
That's great you got PE but I'd be more concerned that a SWU didn't clear.

Search this Thread