Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Will I get a Complimentary Upgrade from Y to W on tomorrow's flight as an EXP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will I get a Complimentary Upgrade from Y to W on tomorrow's flight as an EXP?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2022, 8:43 am

Programs: DL Skymiles DM, Hertz President Circle, Enterprise Platinum, IHG, BW Diamond Select, AA EXP
Originally Posted by metallo
Be careful what you wish for, though -- if SWUs are allowed for Y to PE at some point in the future, it's possible that they may no longer allow one to bypass PE for a Y to J upgrade if/when such a change is made. I suppose it could benefit passengers who have no status or any status lower than EP, though, as they currently have no way to upgrade into PE.

While there has been all sorts of speculation about the potential of that happening over the years (SWUs only allowing Y to PE, instead of Y to J), I think AA has been quite generous to continue to allow upgrades even from deep discount Y all the way to J with a single upgrade instrument.

The ability for a CK or EP to get a Y to PE upgrade for $0 on the day of departure seems just as generous. From what I recall, it was originally supposed to be a limited time sort of thing (presumably while they worked out how to allow PE upgrades with their current IT), but for whatever reason, the policy still seems to be in place. It's even better that it's done on the day of departure at the airport/gate, so it ensures paid premium cabin customers aren't being deprived of any benefits, either.
EXACTLY! This year Delta changed their GUC's (Global Upgrade Certs) to require PE (PS on DL) to upgrade to DL One. If booked in Main Cabin, GUC only gets you to PE. You have to burn a 2nd GUC then to go to DL One or waitlist for a DoD upgrade to DL One with a single certificate.

DoD upgrades for top-tier elites from main cabin to PE w/o needing a certificate if already waitlisted is a nice benefit for AA.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 3:02 pm

Wow I’m glad you made your PE upgrade and posted this!

I am EXP and my partner is regular Platinum. In 2024 we will be doing our first European trip (ORD to FCO) and I was hoping to book Y and get PE if open, but it seems it’s not likely as the Y-PE is only domestic and only for the actual EXP, correct?

Trying to find my best way into business class or PE for us both, guess it’ll be Amex MR transfers, which I am horrible at figuring out, lol.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by AB Dada
Wow I’m glad you made your PE upgrade and posted this!

I am EXP and my partner is regular Platinum. In 2024 we will be doing our first European trip (ORD to FCO) and I was hoping to book Y and get PE if open, but it seems it’s not likely as the Y-PE is only domestic and only for the actual EXP, correct?

Trying to find my best way into business class or PE for us both, guess it’ll be Amex MR transfers, which I am horrible at figuring out, lol.
You can't transfer AMEX MR into AA ADV; you can do it for BA avios miles but I wouldn't recommend it since BA charges horrible fees for F and J awards.
AB Dada likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by AB Dada
There's no direct transfer option from MR to AA. You have to go via Marriott or something like that, and lose a third of the points in the conversion. Of course that may be ok, depending on how you earn them and how you value them. Or you could just book via Amex travel and pay with MR instead.
AB Dada likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
There's no direct transfer option from MR to AA. You have to go via Marriott or something like that, and lose a third of the points in the conversion. Of course that may be ok, depending on how you earn them and how you value them. Or you could just book via Amex travel and pay with MR instead.
Yeah I saw at AwardHacker it was all terrible valuations.

Guess I just won't fly AA or partners for that trip -- I was hoping to leverage EXP status to somehow get a better route to PE or business!
Old Dec 1, 2022, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
That's great you got PE but I'd be more concerned that a SWU didn't clear.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 4:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
So I figured I would share another data point on this. Flying TATL and waitlisted for SWU that seemed unlikely to clear. But 7 open seats in PE.

I asked the agent at checkin counter who had no idea and said check after security. I asked a DrAAgon in the AC who understood the request but immediately said “no way, this can’t happen, SWUs are irrelevant for PE, you would have to buy up”. Said I could check with GA but they would say same thing. So I did the AC equivalent of HUCA and went to the other AC desk. There I found a helpful AAngel who thought she could do it, but after consultation with colleagues and a call to ops concluded that she couldn’t and that only the GA could process.

Went to the GA who said “I don’t think that is how it works, you can only move from coach to business”, but to her credit she offered to ask a supervisor to confirm. After a 5 second chat with supervisor, she quickly put us in PE seats. It may have helped that Y was very full and they were probably going to have to opup someone anyway, but I can’t be sure.

Moral of the story: be persistent and ask anyone you can lol.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 4:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Ooh, now this is fascinating. After getting tix I went back into the app to see if we were still on the J waitlist (we were) but I also saw this. I have never seen a PE waitlist on the app before, perhaps this means they are building infrastructure to make this more formal.

Old Jun 21, 2023, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA, WN
Question: Is this Y to PE policy applicable only to EXP with SWU pending, or to all EXP in Y?
Old Jun 21, 2023, 6:42 pm

I understand it is not an IT issue but a contractual issue. If PE is designated as a non Y cabin, then AA has to dedicate (1 or 2, can’t remember) FAs to that “cabin”. I would assume they are addressing this with the new FA contract.

Originally Posted by metallo
Be careful what you wish for, though -- if SWUs are allowed for Y to PE at some point in the future, it's possible that they may no longer allow one to bypass PE for a Y to J upgrade if/when such a change is made. I suppose it could benefit passengers who have no status or any status lower than EP, though, as they currently have no way to upgrade into PE.

While there has been all sorts of speculation about the potential of that happening over the years (SWUs only allowing Y to PE, instead of Y to J), I think AA has been quite generous to continue to allow upgrades even from deep discount Y all the way to J with a single upgrade instrument.

The ability for a CK or EP to get a Y to PE upgrade for $0 on the day of departure seems just as generous. From what I recall, it was originally supposed to be a limited time sort of thing (presumably while they worked out how to allow PE upgrades with their current IT), but for whatever reason, the policy still seems to be in place. It's even better that it's done on the day of departure at the airport/gate, so it ensures paid premium cabin customers aren't being deprived of any benefits, either.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by Rhomboid
Question: Is this Y to PE policy applicable only to EXP with SWU pending, or to all EXP in Y?
From my (limited) data point I think just SWU pending. The five people below me who also cleared into PE were also on the J waitlist below me, which implies they were using some sort of instrument.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.