Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Will I get a Complimentary Upgrade from Y to W on tomorrow's flight as an EXP?

Will I get a Complimentary Upgrade from Y to W on tomorrow's flight as an EXP?

Old Nov 23, 22, 1:36 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Strange they are asking for volunteers when the flight is still showing Y7/W7….

In addition, the seat map is not showing on the website or app for the PHL-CDG leg….
Old Nov 23, 22, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hertz Gold
Changed mind on post
Old Nov 23, 22, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA CK, AC SE100K, BA Silver, accidental DL FO, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, AmEx PLT
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
Y is going to be a very new experience for me internationally
I've never flown AA Y (or PE) internationally, either -- like others, will look forward to your report about whether the DOD Y to PE upgrade works out, as well as what sort of treatment you get in Y with your status if you end up stuck there!

I'm at a point where I always buy J/F now (except for the occasional cheaply priced domestic Y coach award when it's clear I'll be upgraded at the window). However, with the way flight loads have been lately, I've occasionally had to book other airlines when AA is zeroed out up front, and I could certainly envision a situation where I need to take a certain route that only AA flies.

Originally Posted by SFO_FT View Post
I’ve been advised by a few AA agents that the official policy is that ONLY the EXP gets a DoD UPG from Y to PY and that companions don’t. Assume that agents have some discretion on this, so don’t shoot the messenger (ie., me). This sort of silliness is one of several reasons I’m leaving AA.
Agree that the companion aspect of this is interesting also.
Old Nov 23, 22, 3:52 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Just got to AC here in PHL.

AAngel says it does usually happen if seats are available but only the gate agents have the ability to move us into PE.

There are 9 people on the standby list, 11 seats are left in W So she said we should get moved up with no issues.

Will update once we head down to the gate.
VFR likes this.
Old Nov 23, 22, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA CK, AC SE100K, BA Silver, accidental DL FO, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, AmEx PLT
Just got to AC here in PHL.

AAngel says it does usually happen if seats are available but only the gate agents have the ability to move us into PE.

There are 9 people on the standby list, 11 seats are left in W So she said we should get moved up with no issues.

Will update once we head down to the gate.
It would be incredibly frustrating if Y standbys received PE seat assignments over an EP awaiting a J SWU upgrade, but gate agents have been known to do crazier things!

I recall a post somewhere a few years ago that suggested having a ticket agent or Admirals Club agent add "W OKAY" next to your name on the PALL list (airport standby/upgrade list) to help make it clear to the GA that you're eligible for the Y to PE upgrade.
Old Nov 23, 22, 4:26 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Gate agent David has no clue what I’m talking about. Said he can move me to PE but it’s going to pull the SWU.

Nobody seems to know anything here.
Old Nov 23, 22, 4:27 pm

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
It sounds like the Y to PE upgrade as a consolation prize for missing a SWU happens far more regularly on the DFW-Hawaii routes...not sure why.
355F1 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 22, 4:32 pm

Gate agent David has no clue what I’m talking about. Said he can move me to PE but it’s going to pull the SWU.

Nobody seems to know anything here.
Well, that's disappointing. If it were me, I'd probably just let them pull the SWU and take it up with AA later to avoid confrontation and lock in the upgrade.

Since there is no legitimate, published way of upgrading from Y to PE with a SWU, I would hope that someone in AAdvantage customer service would agree and sort it out after the fact (e.g. return the SWU), if necessary.
355F1 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 22, 4:35 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

He cleared all of the non-revs into PE as I have been standing next to the podium and watched them all come up and get their tickets.
Old Nov 23, 22, 4:59 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

BOOM!!! I got it!!!

I went to the gate agent operating the Rome flight next to ours, , he said that agent should upgrade us automatically since we’re are 1/2 on the list, and he told me he would look into it.

He came back over to the podium and told David that it iIS policy to upgrade only CKs and EXPs to W if the SWUs do not clear, and space is available. David even moved a NonRev’s seat so that my gf and I could have seats together up here.

The agent who helped me said he should print it out and take it up at all of the gate podiums so that this kind of thing doesn’t happen again.

I hope this thread helps somebody who searches for this issue.

I have flown AA PE once HKG-LAX and it was fine. I’m excited to be up here.
Old Nov 23, 22, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
BOOM!!! I got it!!!

I went to the gate agent operating the Rome flight next to ours, , he said that agent should upgrade us automatically since we’re are 1/2 on the list, and he told me he would look into it.

He came back over to the podium and told David that it iIS policy to upgrade only CKs and EXPs to W if the SWUs do not clear, and space is available. David even moved a NonRev’s seat so that my gf and I could have seats together up here.

The agent who helped me said he should print it out and take it up at all of the gate podiums so that this kind of thing doesn’t happen again.

I hope this thread helps somebody who searches for this issue.

I have flown AA PE once HKG-LAX and it was fine. I’m excited to be up here.
I hope you write to AA about the amazing agent next door who ended up helping you and your wife... he could have just said oh sorry not my flight, but sounds like he went above and beyond to make sure you were taken care off... unlike his embarrassing colleague David
Old Nov 23, 22, 9:33 pm

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by metallo View Post
Well, that's disappointing. If it were me, I'd probably just let them pull the SWU and take it up with AA later to avoid confrontation and lock in the upgrade.

Since there is no legitimate, published way of upgrading from Y to PE with a SWU, I would hope that someone in AAdvantage customer service would agree and sort it out after the fact (e.g. return the SWU), if necessary.
I personally wish there were an option to use SWUs to upgrade to PE... particularly on flights where J upgrades are rare like LAX-SYD or DFW-Hawaii.
Old Nov 23, 22, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
FWIW, in( Sept going from DFW via Phl to Dub. No SWU left (ug Mrs. Deac 83, I was in coach, AA wouldn't forward me the SWU even though it was clear I should make it, as I sit here today with 5 in my account for next year, sorry my pet peeve), AA club in DFW, no help. Got to PHL asked the AAngel there, he just moved me up from Y to W, no problem.

At the time I had no idea this would/could happen, but the AA club agent did it with no fuss.

Later, someone here, said it was an unpublished benefit for EXP. And to be clear, I was in Y with no SWU available.
Old Nov 23, 22, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
I personally wish there were an option to use SWUs to upgrade to PE... particularly on flights where J upgrades are rare like LAX-SYD or DFW-Hawaii.
Be careful what you wish for, though -- if SWUs are allowed for Y to PE at some point in the future, it's possible that they may no longer allow one to bypass PE for a Y to J upgrade if/when such a change is made. I suppose it could benefit passengers who have no status or any status lower than EP, though, as they currently have no way to upgrade into PE.

While there has been all sorts of speculation about the potential of that happening over the years (SWUs only allowing Y to PE, instead of Y to J), I think AA has been quite generous to continue to allow upgrades even from deep discount Y all the way to J with a single upgrade instrument.

The ability for a CK or EP to get a Y to PE upgrade for $0 on the day of departure seems just as generous. From what I recall, it was originally supposed to be a limited time sort of thing (presumably while they worked out how to allow PE upgrades with their current IT), but for whatever reason, the policy still seems to be in place. It's even better that it's done on the day of departure at the airport/gate, so it ensures paid premium cabin customers aren't being deprived of any benefits, either.
LovePrunes, Antarius, econ and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 23, 22, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
I hope you write to AA about the amazing agent next door who ended up helping you and your wife... he could have just said oh sorry not my flight, but sounds like he went above and beyond to make sure you were taken care off... unlike his embarrassing colleague David
Agree -- very nice work by the other GA to step in (and a good thought on the OP's part to engage him to assist).

I think there will be numerous stories posted here about lack of employee knowledge in the coming years. I'm seeing a large number of what seem to be fairly new/junior staff at AA lately (FAs, GAs, AC/FL agents, etc.), and some are far too confident about their knowledge and abilities, even when they're quite plainly doing things incorrectly.

The amount of collective employee knowledge of AA's policies and operations that was lost due to senior employees leaving the airline during COVID seems dramatic and very apparent to me when I fly or phone AA these days.

Search this Thread