Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

American Airlines | AAdvantage

No hotel provided for 17 hour overnight delay?

No hotel provided for 17 hour overnight delay?

Old Nov 17, 22, 10:27 am

Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
I’ve never done this. What’s the AMEX Plat policy?
Basically if your flight is delayed > 6 hours or overnight, they will cover reasonable expenses up to x amount. (the specifics are on the amex website under benefits for trip delay). I've used it many times when a flight is delayed at a hub or coming back from a trip. There is some fine print, but largely speaking it covers most normal situations.

Originally Posted by thelark View Post
Horrible to see how bad this has gotten because my last experience (maybe 3 yr ago) went really well. EXP in F traveling with my wife LGA-DFW diverted to HOU for weather at DFW. Before we even got off the plane we were rebooked for the next morning and had a room at the nearby Hilton, which Hilton even upgraded to a nice suite.
Interesting. I've never had good experiences with AA with regards to hotels. Even traveling internationally in J as an EXP/CK, it's been a lousy hotel or no hotel.

UA seems to do a much much better job (words I can not believe I am saying) - my cousin, aunt and uncle were diverted resulting in 23 hours in HNL and despite no UA status and being in the back with pets, they were put up in a nice hotel on Waikiki beach. Another friend has a flight go MX on UA and similarly got a nice hotel.
Old Nov 17, 22, 10:46 am

Programs: Charter Member Delta Diamond Medallion, Lifetime AA Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hilton & Marriott Gold
Instead of providing a hotel room for the 17-hour delay, did American Airlines give a $12.00 US meal voucher plus say they were really, really sorry for your inconvenience?
sushanna1 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 22, 12:14 pm

I can share a couple positive recent experiences with American providing hotels. Last year my flight out of ORF was canceled due to non-weather reasons, was provided a voucher to stay at a Hyatt Place. More recently (last month) I got stuck in Charlotte overnight due to mechanical issues. Customer service provided a hotel voucher at Sonesta, two taxi vouchers, and a meal coupon.

I'm going to agree with others comments, I wouldn't really expect any airline to pay for a hotel on a one-way ticket. Same logic applies if the first segment of a round-trip ticket is delayed.

This thread is definitely a good reminder of why trip insurance is a good idea if you aren't traveling on company dime.
Old Nov 17, 22, 1:02 pm

Programs: United Premier, AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Bonvoy Gold; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by funnyfarm299 View Post

I'm going to agree with others comments, I wouldn't really expect any airline to pay for a hotel on a one-way ticket. Same logic applies if the first segment of a round-trip ticket is delayed.
How are RT and OW the same thing? Are the airlines selling one way tickets with the assumption that the customer lives in the city of origin? I mean, are they thinking that every passenger who ever buys a one way ticket from them is leaving their home? How, are they coming back then? Or are they moving homes every time the passenger buys a one way ticket?

It is ridiculous justification.
Old Nov 17, 22, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Crews don't typically time out on their own. It's MX, WX or something that leads to it. I've never had any issues with a delay claim that was due to a one of the above reasons, including crew timeout.
Amex only covers MX and WX (well and terrorism and lost documents but not relevant). Yes if crew timeout is due to those then claim is valid. If it’s due to, say, General ATC delays (eg, volume or runway construction) they may deny the claim. If a crew member calls in sick - not covered. The good news is that airlines love to blame weather since it absolves them of responsibility. But you have to provide documentation.
yabadoo and Antarius like this.

Search this Thread