Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Searching for MileSAAver award inventory

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2022, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Searching for MileSAAver award inventory

How do I search for MileSAAver award availability on aa.com so that I can then call BA to book said flights using Avios? Apparently this is a recommended method to get around the fact thatthe ba.com search engine isn't that great for partner flights.

I haven't done this in a while but seem to remember that the calendar view gave you various award classes to choose from. Now when I do an award search, all it shows me are the number of miles needed and I have to click on specific fares to see what the award basis is. I'm hoping that someone knows a better way .

Thanks
Old Nov 14, 2022, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Are you looking for just one flight, or do you need connecting flights for your trip? Have you tried searching on ba.com or the BA app for the flights you want?

In general, I would first determine the MileSAAver redemption rate for the route in question from the AA award charts. Then, search aa.com for your particular route, and look for dates with redemption rates at or below the MileSAAver rate. If you see any, click on the date, and then sort the flights by lowest cost. This should enable you to spot MileSAAver flights if they exist.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Probably noonstop flights on AA though it could be connecting flights since I'm trying to burn off BA Avios miles that I've had for a long time. Unfortunately, ba.co shows no availability regardless of route or how far out I look :-(

I will try looking at the award chart as a reference since any awards at aa.com seem to be either at regular award levels at popular times or Web Specials.

Thanks
Old Nov 14, 2022, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

MileSAAver awards for domestic flights >500 miles are 12500 miles so I did a search for one way SJC to PHX and most flights were below or above that amount. When I finally found a award flight that requires 12500 miles; it doesn't say anything about being a MileSAAver :-(

Fare page

Fare details
Old Nov 14, 2022, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
That should be an economy Milesaaver. Booking code for Milesaavers isT. Webspecials are Y. Unfortunately AA.com shows _nothing_ to communicate this more easily.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 9:19 pm

Yes, AA shows you it is Milesaver when you go to book it (it will tell you it cannot be changed, only refunded). At least from my experience (don't know if your login makes a difference).

(edit, got web special and milesaver mixed up)

Last edited by s0ssos; Nov 15, 2022 at 7:19 am
Old Nov 14, 2022, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Good to know about the relevant booking codes. And ba.com does show that flight available for 7500 Avios!

Now if aa.com would let me filter searches by booking codes

Thanks

Last edited by unmesh; Nov 14, 2022 at 9:36 pm
Old Nov 14, 2022, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Yes, AA shows you it is Milesaver when you go to book it (it will tell you it cannot be changed, only refunded). At least from my experience (don't know if your login makes a difference).
I'm afraid that you've got that backwards. MileSAAver awards are changeable; it's only Web Special awards that are non-changeable. And aa.com (or the AA app) will warn you when you have selected a Web Special award.
Antarius and Fly2Connect like this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The above shows a MileSAAver award: the redemption amount matches the MileSAAver mileage on AA's redemption chart, and the display includes the language, "Changes are allowed."

By contrast, here are the initial and subsequent displays for a Web Special:

(Note the "Only on aa.com" language in the initial display for the Web Special.)
Old Nov 14, 2022, 10:11 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by unmesh
Good to know about the relevant booking codes. And ba.com does show that flight available for 7500 Avios!

Now if aa.com would let me filter searches by booking codes

Thanks
ExpertFlyer will let you search in 6 day blocks for sAAver award availability. But it is a $10/month subscription. I find it incredibly useful, but more for the alerting feature to let me know when specific flights open up availability.
The only useful way I know of to use aa.com to search for sAAver inventory is to use the calendar feature after you've selected your city pairs and date. I usually do it in one way segments since that's how they're priced anyway.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Unfortunately, milesaver awards are rarer by the day now. I used to use Avios for AA domestic flights a lot, and that's largely not an option anymore.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHL
ExpertFlyer will let you search in 6 day blocks for sAAver award availability. But it is a $10/month subscription. I find it incredibly useful, but more for the alerting feature to let me know when specific flights open up availability.
Hmmm. May be worth it to sign up for it once the family is ready for domestic travel.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.