Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

American Airlines | AAdvantage

AA 169 Diverted to Seattle

AA 169 Diverted to Seattle

Old Nov 10, 22, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
90% of this kind of thing can be attributed to either a mechanical problem or a medical issue. In this case it was a medical issue with a pax.
Which is really just a mechanical issue with a PAX, right? I mean how different is the circulatory system from a hydraulic system? (Not trying to make light of what must have been a serious situation for the person involved, just trying to lighten up the thread before it gets any angrier)

Originally Posted by neverflyingaaagain View Post
The medical emergency was a business class flight attendant
I don't know how AA staffs their 787s, but if the sick crew member had gotten off in ANC wouldn't you potentially be stuck in ANC waiting for a replacement FA to be flown in?
Old Nov 10, 22, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by aviators99 View Post
SEA has the closest Level I trauma center to ANC. Not sure if that's the reason, but just wanted to point that out.
Good lord, if someone needed a Level 1 trauma center for an inflight accident, that's some really serious injury (not sickness).

As I write this I have been sitting on the runway for two hours after an already grueling 17 hour delay in Seattle. Why? Because no one can seem to figure out cargo numbers. Something we have had all day to do.
You definitely were not sitting on the runway or you'd have been disrupting SEA operations for those two hours. Tarmac most likely, taxiway possibly but quite unlikely.
Old Nov 10, 22, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by PHL View Post
Did you all remain on the aircraft or ever get off at SEA?
Appears it flew approx 8 hours from LAX, making it's way up to Alaska and backtracking to Seattle. Then everyone waited 16 hours before taking off again and will now land in about 3 hours. Ouch.
The cargo thing is weird since they would have known all about what's on board when they left LAX. Did they give any more detail? Aside from that, I'm guessing there was the time needed to bring a new crew in (from LAX probably) and also re-cater the aircraft.
We disembarked as soon as the paramedics walked with the flight attendant off the plane. Told us to go to the ticket counter to get accommodations. Hotels were supplied and the forever iconic 12 dollar food voucher that doesnt even cover the cost of a sandwich.

At first I rationalized the SEA diversion as to probably needing to fly in a whole new crew. Except thats not what happened. The entire crew minus ill FA is here. So why we had to fly past Anchorage just to have to turn around to Seattle confuses me. All around it was poorly handled, still not sure if these cargo numbers the captain was referencing while we sat on the tarmac for 2 hours was the legitimate reason but seems very off considering the circumstances.
Old Nov 10, 22, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Reeks of BS? I don't think that any airline is diverting without a solid reason.
Its quite confusing because a doctor was requested over the intercom within one hour of takeoff from LAX - we continued to fly despite that even past Anchorage so I assume the FA was deemed okay to continue on, until we suddenly heard we were diverting to SEA that was 2.5 hours behind us. Not sure what happened in between time as there was absolutely no indication of anything wrong.
Old Nov 10, 22, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Reeks of BS? I don't think that any airline is diverting without a solid reason.
Crappy situation for sure but the only thing this post wreaks of is over-dramatics.
JIMCHI, formeraa, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 10, 22, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
FlightRadar24 shows that the flight made a turn at Alaska around 13:00 UTC heading back to SEA. The flight landed at SEA at 15:57 UTC. The flight flew for 3 hrs. from the time they decided to turn back. It looks like a doctor on the ground (and if there were medical personnel onboard the flight) thought this FA did not require immediate medical attention. It does look like it was an operational reason to get back to SEA and not to land at ANC. If the FA did not require immediate medical attention, then I am sure another option was to continue on to HND. Continuing on to HND would have been a lot longer before landing and it could have been over water and no place to land immediately if the condition of the FA turned worse.

The flight left SEA and is scheduled to land at HND in an hour and 40 min. Landing at 4:44 a.m. local time. The first monorail to the city is at 5:18 a.m. from Terminal 3 HND, and the first Keikyu train to the city is at 5:26 a.m. from Terminal 3 HND. Looks like passengers will not be stranded at the airport upon arrival. It will not be fun if the only option for arriving passengers is to take a taxi to the city, which can be anywhere from $50 - $100 depending on the destination in Tokyo.
Old Nov 10, 22, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by _kurt View Post
Which is really just a mechanical issue with a PAX, right? I mean how different is the circulatory system from a hydraulic system? (Not trying to make light of what must have been a serious situation for the person involved, just trying to lighten up the thread before it gets any angrier)

I don't know how AA staffs their 787s, but if the sick crew member had gotten off in ANC wouldn't you potentially be stuck in ANC waiting for a replacement FA to be flown in?
Excellent point, if they are using minimum staffing.
Old Nov 10, 22, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
It’s quite confusing because a doctor was requested over the intercom within one hour of takeoff from LAX - we continued to fly despite that even past Anchorage so I assume the FA was deemed okay to continue on, until we suddenly heard we were diverting to SEA that was 2.5 hours behind us. Not sure what happened in between time as there was absolutely no indication of anything wrong.
Trust me there was likely a lot of discussion going on between on-board medical personnel, the AA medical emergency contractor, the Operations depeartmend the flight crew. For medical issues, it is not an easy decision to divert and then decide where to divert. If it had been clear, they would not have flown so far past SEA.
JIMCHI, wrp96, Antarius and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 10, 22, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles View Post
Crappy situation for sure but the only thing this post wreaks of is over-dramatics.

​​​​​How is my post dramatic? If a flight gets diverted, there's a process, protocol and a reason for doing so. They don't divert on a whim or for BS

Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
Excellent point, if they are using minimum staffing.
I doubt they're running at minimum. AA's 788s have 234 seats, which requires 5 FAs only. LAX-HND would have more than that.

Last edited by JY1024; Nov 10, 22 at 8:47 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Nov 10, 22, 5:31 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
My only reaction is that no one appears to have wondered how the Crew Member actually is. If that had been me, I would be mortified at the inconvenience that my being unwell had occasioned others. At AA where the seniority is all important when bidding flights there will be senior and thus older people bidding and flying. It stand to reason that this occurrence rare thought it is, could be more prevalent when the crew is older. I may, of course, be quite wrong - what I do know is that the decision to divert will not have been taken lightly.
JIMCHI, catmndu and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 10, 22, 11:44 pm

Its quite confusing because a doctor was requested over the intercom within one hour of takeoff from LAX - we continued to fly despite that even past Anchorage so I assume the FA was deemed okay to continue on, until we suddenly heard we were diverting to SEA that was 2.5 hours behind us. Not sure what happened in between time as there was absolutely no indication of anything wrong.
While it can be frustrating, I am sure AA didn't divert back to SEA just for fun.
Antarius likes this.
Old Nov 11, 22, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I cannot question the decision to divert back to SEA for medical reasons. I'm not a doctor and I'm not a pilot therefore I'm not in anyway qualified to question that decision making process (and even if I was, I wasn't there so that disqualifies me too).

I will question how AA handled the diversion after they landed in SEA. It sounds like they could've handled the recovery flight so much better. It's not like they have no employees on the ground at SEA, and it shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone in OPS that they would have a flight full of passengers that needed to be taken care of.
bchandler02 and Antarius like this.
Old Nov 11, 22, 9:25 am

AA usually does not offer immediate compensation. I had a flight to DEN earlier this year divert to PUB, and ended up having to spend a night at PUB. AA has no operations there so they had to contract a bus company in DEN which didn't end up arriving to pick pax up in PUB until 12 hours had passed. I bailed and got a hotel and a UA flight to DEN the next morning after I found out there were no rental cars available. AA then offered 10k miles compensation- I probably could have filed my expenses and tried to get cash but work reimbursed my expenses anyway.

However, I will say that AA's compensation is rather weak compared to competition. DL cancelled a flight on me delaying me a day (I ended up just booking an AA flight last minute) and they sent me $150 in vouchers, even though the delay was shorter than the PUB nightmare. UA cancelled my LHR-ORD flight and rerouted me through EWR, and they offered $150 cash or 10k miles even though the new route only added a few hours.
Old Nov 12, 22, 7:10 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum

​​​​​How is my post dramatic? If a flight gets diverted, there's a process, protocol and a reason for doing so. They don't divert on a whim or for BS

I doubt they're running at minimum. AA's 788s have 234 seats, which requires 5 FAs only. LAX-HND would have more than that.
Dont be so sensitive. Wasnt referring to your post. Was adding onto your commentary.

Search this Thread