Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

First Experience as EXP - AA is flooded with Elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Experience as EXP - AA is flooded with Elites

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2022, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by rt23456p
You can easily be earning much more cashback equivalent with your spend if you charge on Chase Reserve/AMEX Plat etc.
I think it depends on how you value the AA miles and status vs. the cashback. Remember, you're getting both RDMs and status, and status does get you things that otherwise cost money, such as MCE seats at booking and extra checked bags. I suspect this valuation is different for each individual based on their own travel and spending patterns.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by TRAVEL4SCUBA
Simple if they stopped handing out points like candy, there would be less elites. Being an EXP should be a rather rare thing, really any top tier should be. I am Alaska 100K Gold, which I will lose this year and reason I chased status with AA, but the 100K gold is rather rare, its hard to hit. I have a 100 percent upgrade as a 100K and this includes routes SAN - JFK and SAN to LIH
You handed AA thousands of $$ (through credit card/hotel booking companies) for loyalty points, costing AA very little. And you think AA is going to discontinue that practice? AA loses money flying people, so they don't want you to earn status flying!
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 2:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
17th on a waitlist when 6 were likely already upgraded is diluted. That is way to many elites. They should raise this to 300k LP
Welcome to flying through Major AA Hubs.

LAS flights will always have a high number of buy ups to First.
PHX will have a very large number of Elites.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The only problem I see with lower LP EXP thresholds is that any other EXP will beat you for upgrades if you are on an award ticket... Other than that there is nothing bad about the current 200k LP level.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 3:05 pm

I agree that 200k is a good point. We're in the "golden window" of recovery incentive offers and travel raging back. I'm sure AA will make adjustments, but to the original poster, being a lower LP EXP is only going get you so much. I've been #2 only a few times this year between any markets, #1 almost every time, but, currently at 580,000 LPs.
tfizzle likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 3:11 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by ORD1Kguy
I agree that 200k is a good point. We're in the "golden window" of recovery incentive offers and travel raging back. I'm sure AA will make adjustments, but to the original poster, being a lower LP EXP is only going get you so much. I've been #2 only a few times this year between any markets, #1 almost every time, but, currently at 580,000 LPs.

wowzas!!!
tfizzle likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I hit EXP on 10/29, a few days over 8 weeks since I started to get "status". I did this mostly with CC spend and AA hotels, only took one flight. As suspected, there are WAY to many EXP already, AA is going to have to raise the bar.

I booked a mid afternoon flight, LAS to DEN via PHX departed yesterday. As of Thursday there were 7 open First Class seats and the fare was really high to pay the difference. By Monday AM all seats taken and I was number 11 on the upgrade list! On the flight from PHX to DEN 6 seats open as of Sunday night, but Monday all gone and I was number 17 on the upgrade list, 17 as an EXP ! WOW.

I suspected this would be the case, AA simply made it too easy to get status, so as the saying goes, if everyone is elite, nobody is.
Well thank goodness this isn't the case on Delta or United.
FAA1996 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well thank goodness this isn't the case on Delta or United.
Exactly! As both an AA EXP and UA 1K (and less comparatively a DL Plat) - I can tell you my upgrade percentage this year is far higher on AA. When I don't clear on AA, I'm usually #1-3 on the upgrade list. On UA, it's not uncommon to be below #10 on the list with no one (including GSs) getting upgraded. These days, if you want first then buy first. Devaluation of elite status is no worse on AA than others, in my experience.

-FlyerBeek
nk15 and BWISkyGuy like this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 8:12 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by 777lover
U need to understand two issues.

1. You needed to call and have the status in all of ur PNRs to EP as u booked them when not EP. You will never know what your true position was or if you would have cleared. If you had any more PNRs booked when you weren’t EP, please call and update them!

2. the credit card warriors are greatly affecting the upgrade list. They don’t travel much, but when they do, they generally are at the upper part of the list. I see from above that you are a lite flier and attained EP status only through cx spend.

but think u will find that #1 is your main issue

PNRs
I have asked multiple AA reps if that is true,, that one needs to update their prior reservations to reflect new EXP status. Always the answer has been no, that it updates automatically.

Until today! Twitter rep said many of my upcoming reservations are still reflecting PP status. EXP phone rep had no clue what I was talking about and tried to transfer me.

Edit: big ups to 777lover as i would have missed out on 34 flights worth of upgrade priority. Twitter rep said 33/34 still had my PP status attached to the reservation. It took about 45 minutes to fix online with a 2nd EXP desk agent who knew what she was doing.

Last edited by nineworldseries; Nov 10, 2022 at 11:04 am
Old Nov 10, 2022, 8:28 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Well, I hit EXP on 10/29, a few days over 8 weeks since I started to get "status". I did this mostly with CC spend and AA hotels, only took one flight. As suspected, there are WAY to many EXP already, AA is going to have to raise the bar.

I booked a mid afternoon flight, LAS to DEN via PHX departed yesterday. As of Thursday there were 7 open First Class seats and the fare was really high to pay the difference. By Monday AM all seats taken and I was number 11 on the upgrade list! On the flight from PHX to DEN 6 seats open as of Sunday night, but Monday all gone and I was number 17 on the upgrade list, 17 as an EXP ! WOW.

I suspected this would be the case, AA simply made it too easy to get status, so as the saying goes, if everyone is elite, nobody is.
You've dunked on yourself there buddy!

Have you seen a DL upgrade list recently by any chance?
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I was UA 1K for years and would routinely sit in Economy Plus seeing an upgrade list dozens of names long. On AA (though I don't fly domestic much), I've missed 3 upgrades ever as EXP. One pre-COVID PIT-ORD (didn't even check the list), and this year we missed (2 on same PNR) DFW-LAX on an early Friday evening, were #1 and 2 on upgrade list, and also LAX-DFW on a Friday night redeye (arriving Saturday) also #1 and 2 on the upgrade list. Both business commuter flights (if people still do such a thing), so no big surprise. I'm VERY VERY low LP which probably explains why we didn't get the T-100 upgrade on both (both were relatively lightly booked in F at T-100) but all in all, I get a lot more upgrades on AA than I did UA. Funnily enough my upgrades into and out of NYC (both LGA and JFK) are still 100% unlike an above poster mentioning MIA-LGA being difficult (yes I've done the MIA-LGA and sat up front).

Having said that, I do wish AA wouldn't include credit card spend, I can qualify on flying just fine when there are no COVID border controls. Obviously it makes them more money, or they wouldn't do it. $200k a year in credit card spend isn't something the average American can or would do in a year without some manufactured spend, but still I don't really care for it. UA PPs from credit cards are much harder to come by.

Last edited by dvs7310; Nov 10, 2022 at 10:06 am
Old Nov 10, 2022, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by 777lover
2. the credit card warriors are greatly affecting the upgrade list. They don’t travel much, but when they do, they generally are at the upper part of the list.
If they don't travel much then it is very likely that they won't be the ones populating the upgrade list. Unless they fly a lot, which then contradicts your premise.

I really don't understand what the problem is. If earning LPs with credit cards, hotels, etc is that easy, why doesn't everybody just do the same and add those points to the ones earned flying?
It is not that those earning LPs flying can't earn points other ways.

But again, if the "CC warriors" don't travel much, then (the logical conclusion) is that they won't affect the upgrade list much (for the most part).
When they do fly, it will affect the upgrade list for that particular one-off flight, they won't be "greatly affecting" overall anything, just that flight.
LovePrunes and onetouchpass like this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by slpybear
Welcome to flying through Major AA Hubs.

LAS flights will always have a high number of buy ups to First.
PHX will have a very large number of Elites.
# 6 on the upgrade list with no open seats in first ( PHL => PHX) A good example of hub to hub experience.
355F1 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by nk15
Essentially, the elite levels do not matter much in terms of upgrade priority. What matters is the LPs.
This can't be right. The LPs matter only within status levels. Status is still the primary determinant of upgrade priority.

An EXP with 20K rolling LPs will beat a PPRO with 100K rolling LPs every time.

Or did I misunderstand what you were saying?
apeortdz and LovePrunes like this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by vasantn
This can't be right. The LPs matter only within status levels. Status is still the primary determinant of upgrade priority.

An EXP with 20K rolling LPs will beat a PPRO with 100K rolling LPs every time.

Or did I misunderstand what you were saying?
Yes, that's true, so the correlation is not perfect, so an EXP falling behind in LPs (likely on their way down to a lower status) gets some temporary (until end of year) cushion based on the elite level separation. But in general terms, the LPs matter either way, as the continuous measure of status and priority.
vasantn and BWISkyGuy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.