Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Applied Trip Credits but Credit Card Charged Instead

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2022, 8:37 am
Original Poster

I have a situation with AA that Im not sure how to resolve and looking for some input;

I have 3 trip credits with AA from previous cancelled trips. These trip credits expire July 2023. So I made a reservation on AA.com for flights to Europe for June 2023 for myself and partner. I was unable to apply credits online, so as instructed on the website, I put the booking on hold, got the PNR and called AA to apply the trip credits.

The agent I spoke with said not a problem, checked credit validity - all good, and put me on hold while agent applied the credits. Two of the credit values were approx $1400 each and the 3rd credit value was for approx $100, so total credits of $2900. The trip cost was approx $3000. I was advised the outstanding balance was $100 and so provided credit card details to pay the remaining balance. Agent confirmed credit card would be charged the $100 as credits applied for remainder of ticket cost. Payment taken and itinerary received. Shortly after i checked my credit card statement and saw that my cc had been charged $2900 and only one of the credits ( the $100 value) had been applied.

I called AA back, was on hold for about 90 mins while new agent investigated, long story short - nobody was able to explain why the other 2 credits had not been applied. Agent advised to contact AA, explain situation and have them revert the charges and apply trip credits. Advised I would receive a reply within 24 hours. Despite following up twice and it has been 10 days - I have heard nothing back.

I don't know if i should dispute the credit card for the charges, but if i do would AA cancel the flights and then I'm left with no flights booked? And then the situation gets messy and confusing for AA to handle? Or do i dispute charge, make new reservation, put on hold, and call to apply the credits?

Or should I just wait for AA to eventually get back to me? I am trying to organize an itinerary for my trip so need to have trip dates locked in to plan around that. But, frustratingly, I also did not authorize that amount to be charged on my credit card. I authorized for the $100 to be charged and the credits applied - and was lead to believe this was the case.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 9:50 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Did you contact AA through their customer service link/form? I wouldn't dispute the charge at this point yet. Let AA fix it themselves. To be clear - you still have the two $1400 credits in your wallet?

You may also contact them via their Twitter DM @AmericanAir. Keep it succinct. Provide PNRs. Tell them you called to apply trip credits, but not all were correctly applied and you were overcharged. Also let them know you reached out 10+ days ago (and through which method) with no response. There is likely a case already open that they can check on or get an update for you.
Antarius likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply PHL!

Yes I contacted them through their customer service link, twice. Interestingly I cannot locate the credits in my wallet/AA account.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 10:11 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by WT81

Yes I contacted them through their customer service link, twice. Interestingly I cannot locate the credits in my wallet/AA account.
That would be a little concerning. Do you have the numbers for those trip credits (should be the 001 ticket number of the trips they came from)? You can look them up here

Try the Twitter DM route to ask for follow up on this issue.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Yes I have all the trip credit numbers (and emails from AA confirming trip credits) and provided them to the agent on the phone when I originally made the booking. The agent confirmed the credits and said she was going to apply them to the reservation.

However i cannot retrieve them myself when I try.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 10:34 am
Original Poster

I maybe in the minority here but i do not have a twitter account
Old Nov 2, 2022, 10:39 am

Are you sure the card was actually charged as opposed to authorized? I have had some odd "charge pending" amounts appear, but in the enthe correct amount was actually charged. Not saying that's what happened here, but might be worth looking in to.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WT81

If you put the numbers in here, do you see them? https://www.aa.com/reservation/view/...sveLink=header

If not, try your partners name/account. AA's system is weird and it dumps any residual credit on the last ticketed passenger. Just theorizing that the $2800 somehow didn't get applied and ended up as a new credit on the second passenger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.