Wiki Posts
Search

Any way to guarantee a hot meal?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2022, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinum, American Gold
Any way to guarantee a hot meal?

Hello. I have a flight in a few weeks PHL-MCI. Says it's a meal flight up front. Don't have the choices yet but am wondering if any of the special meals are guaranteed to be hot meals. Thanks.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by michaelaeaston
Hello. I have a flight in a few weeks PHL-MCI. Says it's a meal flight up front. Don't have the choices yet but am wondering if any of the special meals are guaranteed to be hot meals. Thanks.
I fly the A321T a lot in J and you can select and reserve the meal up to 30 days in advance on the app. Have you tried that on your domestic F flight? At least you would know what is being served.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 5:13 pm

The flight time looks like it is under 3 hours which means the standard meals will all be cold, like Charcuterie Plate. No idea if any of the special meals available are hot but I think I checked last time I had to choose and didn't see anything.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 5:33 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I used to fly Phl-mci almost weekly right before the pandemic and it was mostly on an E170/E190 which don’t have ovens so the meal was always a sandwich or cold pasta option of sorts. There was occasionally an A319 put on the route though I don’t recall if meals were hot on it.

As your trip gets closer you can choose your meal in the app.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by PHL
I used to fly Phl-mci almost weekly right before the pandemic and it was mostly on an E170/E190 which don’t have ovens so the meal was always a sandwich or cold pasta option of sorts. There was occasionally an A319 put on the route though I don’t recall if meals were hot on it.

As your trip gets closer you can choose your meal in the app.
Looks like the non-stop currently is on an A319.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I’d be much more confident of getting a quality hot meal in Philadelphia or Kansas City than I would on an airplane. YMMV
Old Oct 27, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
The only way to guarantee a hot meal is to purchase one at the airport before boarding.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 8:42 am

And absolutely no way to 'guarantee' a hot meal either.
boss315 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by yakel
Fly a longer flight on AA? As far as I know there have never been hot meals on the 900+ mile segments.
boss315 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by yakel
Well if the meal choices offered online are showing a hot meal option, except in unusual circumstances you’ll get one. But as I pointed out above, getting a quality hot meal is a different matter altogether, and for that getting one in town is a way better option than the airport.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
It will not be a hot meal only a snack maybe cold sandwich.
boss315 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Fly a longer flight on AA? As far as I know there have never been hot meals on the 900+ mile segments.
Hot meals were most common pre-COVID.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Blumie
Well if the meal choices offered online are showing a hot meal option, except in unusual circumstances you’ll get one. But as I pointed out above, getting a quality hot meal is a different matter altogether, and for that getting one in town is a way better option than the airport.
Dunno what you have against airplane food. I'd rather have a mediocre meal on an airplane than a meal at an airport outpost of a gourmet restaurant.
KansasMike likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by vasantn
Dunno what you have against airplane food. I'd rather have a mediocre meal on an airplane than a meal at an airport outpost of a gourmet restaurant.
Cost wise, yes. Quality wise, no.

Especially on AA. Some of the "chef inspired" meal choices are almost as if their airport staff were inspired to cook for the first time after watching Chopped.
ksucats likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
Cost wise, yes. Quality wise, no.

Especially on AA. Some of the "chef inspired" meal choices are almost as if their airport staff were inspired to cook for the first time after watching Chopped.
Personally, I wish they'd stop with the "chef inspired" meals. Just serve a decent and simple meal that is mainstream enough most people will eat it. Or, partner with a decent restaurant chain (e.g., Maggiano's, Capital Grill, etc.) and serve meals inspired by their regular menus.
Antarius and KansasMike like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.