Wiki Posts
Search

Best Way to Get Refund for Trip in Vain

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2022, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Best Way to Get Refund for Trip in Vain

I was scheduled to fly PIT-CLT-DEN (and return DEN-CLT-PIT) for work in early September. My PIT-CLT was delayed by 2 hours for a mechanical reason and I was going to miss my CLT-DEN flight .The later flights from CLT would not get me to Denver in time (and were full) so I got off the plane and was rebooked PIT-ORD-DEN. PIT-ORD was on time and ORD-DEN was delayed 2.5 hours for a mechanical reason and caused me to miss the meeting I was traveling for. I requested to be booked back to PIT and was eventually rebooked (after receiving a surprising amount of pushback). I asked how to obtain a refund and was told to call AA. I called AA and was told to fill out a refund form. I filled out the form and was told that I am not eligible for a refund as the coupons have been used. I called again and was told to fill out a customer service form. I received a canned reply "sorry for your experience here is 7,000 miles." I don't want the miles. I am happy with receiving a credit (don't need trip refunded) but am not sure how to get it at this point. I would prefer to avoid a CC chargeback (have had to pursue this unfortunately quite frequently with other airlines). Is there a better way to go about this? Thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
When you gave up and had them rebook you back to PIT, did you request that they note that it was a trip in vain? I've found that to be important to getting everything straightened out. I haven't had a trip in vain post COVID but a few before the change fee changes, and in all cases the notation that it was a trip in vain is what got me my trip credit. All I can suggest is that you keep calling until you get an agent willing to look at the record of rebooks to see what was really going on. Other than that, involving your credit card is the next step.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 12:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
This thread hasn't been updated in over 3 years, and I'm not sure if yours will get merged or not, but this would be a great place to get started:
American Airlines trip in vain - policy, questions, what now? (consolidated)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.