Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Ticket / AA Flight No / JetBlue Operated / OWE Status

Old Oct 22, 22, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Ok. So just trying to muddle through some domestic flight bookings in the US and would appreciate any guidance.

I have OWE status (BA Gold) and on my AA domestic flights I normally have the baggage fees waived. I am booking some personal travel (here on business) and the direct flights AA offer on their website are operated by JetBlue. If I book on AAs website, with an AA code and ticket, does anyone know if my OWE status will be honoured?

not sure if to post here or in JetBlue so feel free to move it.
Old Oct 22, 22, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA: CK
I don't have the answer, but this is an interesting one. B6 is not in OW, they're only partnered with AA, and you're not AA elite. My guess it you won't get any benefits. I don't think B6 cares about the AA flight number.
NateOz likes this.
Old Oct 22, 22, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlooJoo View Post
I don't have the answer, but this is an interesting one. B6 is not in OW, they're only partnered with AA, and you're not AA elite. My guess it you won't get any benefits. I don't think B6 cares about the AA flight number.
Thanks BlooJoo - that is my thinking too; tho annoying as it is being sold on AAs website as an AA flight. If anyone else has thoughts or experience tben that would be hugely appreciated!
Old Oct 22, 22, 8:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Diamond; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NateOz View Post
Thanks BlooJoo - that is my thinking too; tho annoying as it is being sold on AA’s website as an AA flight. If anyone else has thoughts or experience tben that would be hugely appreciated!
I don't have the answer either, and there's a related question: If you attach your BA # to the reservation, do you earn anything on the J6 segment?

EDIT: Actually, the answer to that question is NO. Flights marketed by a One World partner but operated by a non-OW airline do not earn BA TPs or Avios. However, you can earn QR Avios on a B6 flight, and then move them to BA if you've linked the 2 accounts.

Please let us know what transpires.
NateOz likes this.

Last edited by SpammersAreScum; Oct 22, 22 at 11:16 pm Reason: Answered my own question.
Old Oct 22, 22, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA 8MM Exec,Life Plat, Marriott Amb,Life Titanium, ,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist.
Indeed you will.

I recently flew two flights. JFK-FLL-JFK on Jet Blue. I booked on the Jetblue website as AA did not have all the Jetblue flights. I put in my AA aadvantage # on the booking. The Jetblue booking still queried me to buy extra luggage. When I got to the airport, I was able to check in at the "mosaic" counter which is jet blue's first class. I was also informed I would have been allowed 2 bags of up to 32 kilos checked baggage. My boarding pass said AAELITE on it I believe, I was a Platinum member at the time. My only problem is that JetBlue credited my first flight to the Mosaic program EVEN THOUGH I had AAELITE on my boarding pass and I wanted the miles to go to AA, both arilines blamed each other......The return flight I received AA status credit and miles. FYI. Hope this helps.
NateOz likes this.
Old Oct 22, 22, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by NYCtraveler View Post
I recently flew two flights. JFK-FLL-JFK on Jet Blue. I booked on the Jetblue website as AA did not have all the Jetblue flights. I put in my AA aadvantage # on the booking. The Jetblue booking still queried me to buy extra luggage. When I got to the airport, I was able to check in at the "mosaic" counter which is jet blue's first class. I was also informed I would have been allowed 2 bags of up to 32 kilos checked baggage. My boarding pass said AAELITE on it I believe, I was a Platinum member at the time. My only problem is that JetBlue credited my first flight to the Mosaic program EVEN THOUGH I had AAELITE on my boarding pass and I wanted the miles to go to AA, both arilines blamed each other......The return flight I received AA status credit and miles. FYI. Hope this helps.
The OP's elite status is with BA, not AA. AA has a special arrangement with B6 -- which is not a oneworld carrier -- that allows elites in each carrier's frequent-flyer program to receive some reciprocal benefits in the other carrier's FFP, and to earn miles. BA has no such agreement with B6.
NateOz likes this.
Old Oct 22, 22, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Nearly all oneworld benefits apply to flights marked and operated by a oneworld member (or affiliate). AA*/B6 flights are not operated by a oneworld member or affiliate, so I think it unlikely that BA elite benefits would transfer over, though I have no relevant experience. (Certainly they don't have to by the letter of oneworld rules.) Bilateral agreements like the one between AA and B6 don't transfer to other oneworld frequent flyer programs.

There are some exceptions to this general rule (eg AA members at least used to be able to earn elite-qualifying miles on QF*/EK flights even though EK is not a oneworld member), but they're fairly rare.
NateOz likes this.
Old Oct 23, 22, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Op, youll get nothing regardless of flight code.
Markie and NateOz like this.
Old Oct 23, 22, 4:52 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/GfL
The best you can get is some AAdvantage points by crediting to AA. You get nothing if you credit to BA.
onanisland and NateOz like this.
Old Oct 23, 22, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. I am less concerned about the tier points and mileage but more about baggage as I am then connecting (separate ticket) onto an international J fare.

In an unexpected twist, the confirmation email from AA shows that I can take two free checked bags plus the usual AA carry on allowance. I phoned to confirm and the agent said that AAs rules on baggage apply and JetBlue has agreed to honor this (ie OWE status at least for baggage, AAs carry on baggage limits etc.). Not sure if will extend to lounges etc and ofc I am not expecting any miles or TPs as per OW rules. Will post an update in two weeks when I go to take the flight to confirm if it was in fact honoured.

As an aside, the QF exception with EK (QF flight number but operated by EK) is an official OW rule/exception and is set out in the OW website. From memory, EK accepted my BA status and allowed lounge access as I was on a QF ticket but that is going back pre-Covid. There has been some chat that EK has stopped honouring the lounge access but the mileage and tier points continue to be applied as per OW rules/exception. It was part of the QF tie-up with EK back in the day.

Last edited by NateOz; Oct 23, 22 at 1:53 pm
Old Jan 24, 23, 1:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NateOz View Post
Thanks all. I am less concerned about the tier points and mileage but more about baggage as I am then connecting (separate ticket) onto an international J fare.

In an unexpected twist, the confirmation email from AA shows that I can take two free checked bags plus the usual AA carry on allowance. I phoned to confirm and the agent said that AAs rules on baggage apply and JetBlue has agreed to honor this (ie OWE status at least for baggage, AAs carry on baggage limits etc.). Not sure if will extend to lounges etc and ofc I am not expecting any miles or TPs as per OW rules. Will post an update in two weeks when I go to take the flight to confirm if it was in fact honoured.

As an aside, the QF exception with EK (QF flight number but operated by EK) is an official OW rule/exception and is set out in the OW website. From memory, EK accepted my BA status and allowed lounge access as I was on a QF ticket but that is going back pre-Covid. There has been some chat that EK has stopped honouring the lounge access but the mileage and tier points continue to be applied as per OW rules/exception. It was part of the QF tie-up with EK back in the day.
Hi OP - any feedback on your flight? I have exact same situation coming up and wondering whats your outcome? Thx
Old Jan 25, 23, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zeeww View Post
Hi OP - any feedback on your flight? I have exact same situation coming up and wondering whats your outcome? Thx
Hi and sorry for the delayed response. In short, and as expected and advised, nothing despite AA and the AA app suggesting I would get bags. Having said that, the check-in agent was lovely and could see it showing as having an allowance on the information sent to me (but not showing in their system) and kindly waived the baggage fee for me. There seemed to be confusion from everyone I spoke to and AAs expectation/advice was that I would receive the additional baggage allowance.

It is an interesting point and I wonder if OW / airlines will revisit the rules given what seems to be more increased codeshares and agreements with airlines outside the alliance post Covid. I certainly would now look around rather than just going direct to AA as I used to because of the OW benefits.

If you have Amex platinum then I suggest Delta as you get the bags + lounge access (at least on the UK version).

Search this Thread