Wiki Posts
Search

Boston to Lisbon

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2022, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Boston to Lisbon

Flying in Feb 2023. My choices are BOS-LHR AA metal or BA, then BA to Lisbon or Iberia BOS Madrid then IB to Lisbon.

Flying times are about the same. Recommendations?
Old Oct 22, 2022, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Class of service? Length of layover at LHR vs. MAD?
Old Oct 22, 2022, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Class of service? Length of layover at LHR vs. MAD?
Economy. Layover equal, about 2:30. Primarily concerned about cancellation of BOS Madrid and backup flights.

Thanks for any insight.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sholmes149
Economy. Layover equal, about 2:30. Primarily concerned about cancellation of BOS Madrid and backup flights.

Thanks for any insight.
Intra-European seat pitch in Economy on both BA and IB is dire; for that reason alone, I would choose the BOS-MAD-LIS routing. (MAD-LIS is less than one-third the distance of LHR-LIS.)
Old Oct 22, 2022, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Intra-European seat pitch in Economy on both BA and IB is dire; for that reason alone, I would choose the BOS-MAD-LIS routing. (MAD-LIS is less than one-third the distance of LHR-LIS.)
Ug.. now retired and flying on my own dime. A lot different from 1990's when having even low status meant something.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Didn't we just have a thread about this one trip, which is months and months in the future?
Old Oct 22, 2022, 1:23 pm

The recent thread I recall was someone doing a one-way to LIS on miles, AA vs BA.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ug.. now retired and flying on my own dime. A lot different from 1990's when having even low status meant something.
Of course, you could always choose the BOS-LIS nonstop on TAP. If you had any interest in flying to a second European city a few days after your arrival in LIS, you could price the trip with TAP's free stopover option (up to five days). It's even possible that BOS-LIS (stopover)-BCN/MAD/PAR would cost less than BOS-LIS alone.
Barrheadlass and ryanbriar like this.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP / 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold
Iberia is still requiring masks, if you care about that sort of thing. I wouldn’t want to wear one for that long.
MTC1976 and estrela like this.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 3:36 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.

Thanks for any insight.
If you’re primarily concerned about cancellation backup, then there are more options BOS - LHR than BOS - MAD.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 4:12 am

Programs: QF
The transit in MAD is easier and the lounges are better than in LHR T5 if you have access
roberto99 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 6:18 am

what about TAP?

BA vs IB probably best depends on schedule and price for me
Old Oct 23, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
BA>BA - more flights than Iberia ex BOS and probably more re-routes/resilience if February/winter weather in Boston/East coast, same terminal (with people mover between A,B,C gates), clear security in London, clear immigration in Lisbon.
IB>IB - same terminal at Madrid (with people mover between gates in 4&4S), longer distances to walk, clear immigration and security in Madrid to enter Schengen, arrive as Schengen/domestic in Lisbon.
AA>BA - terminal transfer via bus at LHR, clear security in London, clear immigration in Lisbon.
No real difference in economy seating across the Atlantic or intra-Europe, despite claims to the contrary.

Last edited by geronimo; Oct 23, 2022 at 9:10 am Reason: update
Old Oct 23, 2022, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geronimo
No real difference in economy seating across the Atlantic or intra-Europe, despite claims to the contrary.
Except that the OP is AAdvantage Lifetime Gold, so if flying on AA BOS-LHR and Main Cabin Extra seats are still available at T-24, the OP could snag one for free. But then the OP would have a three-hour flight in BA short-haul Economy.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for great information. Will probably go with LHR route for flexibility given the Boston weather in Feb. Will have to choose between AA metal and BA. AA seating is 2-4-2 in economy while BA is 3-3-3. Leaning towards first BA flight out of BOS. Backup would be second BA flight and AA. As noted by Geronimo, BA flights arrive and depart from terminal 5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.