Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Economy Fares changes will increase COVID risk IMO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2022, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, SWA, Delta

Since AA has decided to end changes on economy fares, I wonder how many people with Flu or COVID symptoms will just decide to travel anyways? I mean if you are on a budget in this crappy economy and you need to get somewhere there is now incentive to fly with COVID because that person maybe feels losing the fare is too costly. I fly a minimum 100x year and have logged 200 flights in one year but now switching back to SWA. SWA is a little cheaper anyways but was willing to pay a little extra for economy fares on AA. I don't want to be paying insurance or higher fares just so I can have the ability to change flights. At that cost SWA much cheaper. I guess AA will miss out on possibly 100 fares by me this upcoming year. Even if I decided to fly AA, the risk of other passengers now with COVID is definitely increased IMO. So, guess I will get back to getting herded onto SWA.
estrela likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 10:22 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
This is MAJOR news if true, but I have heard nothing. Where are you seeing that change fees are coming back?
ksucats, fdog, cmd320 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
This is MAJOR news if true, but I have heard nothing. Where are you seeing that change fees are coming back?
My thoughts exactly. I see nothing online about this
Old Oct 21, 2022, 10:35 am

Yes, I would just stop booking travel on AA if this was true, unless all the other airlines immediately matched. But DL indicated even before the pandemic they wanted to get away from these fees, so it seems unlikely that they'd pull the trigger on bringing them back.
Antarius and becks1 like this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 10:43 am
Original Poster

BASIC FARE ECONOMY RESTRICTIONS:
x No Changes allowed.

I have a ticket and asked to change and just found out. Change happened last month. So now you cannot even change with a fee. You FORFEIT the entire fare!!!!
Is AA assuming people on a budget that bought an economy ticket are just going to forfeit the fare if they get COVID symptoms? A few maybe but a bunch will just fly anyway.
In this current economy I don't see many people forfeiting their fare if they are sick. The people that can afford to lose the fare likely booked a different fare. The one's that
really cannot afford to forfeit the fare likely booked an economy fare and you will have them coughing next to you on a flight.

I am switching back to SWA. Too bad because I really like AA otherwise but this is a deal breaker.
becks1 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 10:54 am
Original Poster

I am a traveling physician and my schedule changes. I often book a lot of tickets and have to change some periodically. AA was really sneaky about it. They posted it so obscurely when you book the economy fare you might miss it like I did. I might be ok with a reasonable change fee but now they make you just forfeit the fare or fly the flight you scheduled. You can do same day standby but if filled I was told you forfeit the fare. So, definitely going back to the cattle plane SWA. I would fly AA over SWA all things being equal with change of flights. My economy fares more on AA than SWA but I was still willing to pay increased fares on AA but not now with the possible forfeiture of fare.

Flu/COVID already picking up. I assume AA will have greater numbers with this policy.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
BE tickets were never open to changing anyway.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
BE tickets were never open to changing anyway.
I was changing them the last 2 years. They just made this change in SEPT.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 10:58 am

deleted

Last edited by LeonS; Oct 21, 2022 at 10:59 am Reason: redundant post
Old Oct 21, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Those restrictions only apply to AA Basic Economy fares, and that's been the related AA policy for a long time--not just since September--for travel on other AA fares for flights beginning in North or South America. That's a risk with buying the cheaper Basic Economy fare.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by taxatty56
Those restrictions only apply to AA Basic Economy fares, and that's been the related AA policy for a long time--not for travel on other AA fares for flights beginning in North or South America. That's a risk with buying the cheaper Basic Economy fare.
True but were allowing change up until SEPT
Old Oct 21, 2022, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by DrBennettPMR
They just made this change in SEPT.
BE tickets have been un-changeable since long before September.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 11:11 am
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by DrBennettPMR
I would fly AA over SWA all things being equal with change of flights. My economy fares more on AA than SWA but I was still willing to pay increased fares on AA but not now with the possible forfeiture of fare.
Flu/COVID already picking up. I assume AA will have greater numbers with this policy.
I'm not sure I understand? If you prefer AA over SWA and you are comfortable paying more for AA (which you allude to), then why not just continue with AA on NON-Basic econ fares?
Even pre-Covid, I would NEVER buy a basic economy fare, as the discounted price never made up for inflexibility.
Spiff, Redhead, fwfdan and 11 others like this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 11:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Basic economy fares are not the same as Main Cabin fares. They're both coach fares. And no people aren't going to sit home if they get the sniffles. I sure the hell am not.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by DreAAmliner
I'm not sure I understand? If you prefer AA over SWA and you are comfortable paying more for AA (which you allude to), then why not just continue with AA on NON-Basic econ fares?
Even pre-Covid, I would NEVER buy a basic economy fare, as the discounted price never made up for inflexibility.
I think the OP's concern is that other passengers who purchase Basic Economy fares on AA will be more likely to fly when sick. And he does not want to be on the same airplane with them.
ithinkurdumb, becks1 and _fx like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.