Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Economy Fares changes will increase COVID risk IMO

Economy Fares changes will increase COVID risk IMO

Old Oct 22, 2022, 3:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
I wish airlines would stop selling BE. It’s not changeable, no seat selections, no bags. It has always been very clear. Yet people who buy them expect exceptions to be made for them. So many time, I see kids crying because they can’t sit next to their “preferred” parent, parents are upset because the entire family of 4 can’t sit together.

now, we have implied Covid risk because BE is not changeable. The whole concept is just troublesome.
I flew mostly on BE fares when I was in the US last year, I'm going to do it again during the upcoming holiday season, assuming the savings are non-negligable. I have status on AA, DL, and UA, so I guess I can board early, but I prefer boarding last anyway (less time in the aluminium tube and no need to witness people fighting over storage space).
Old Oct 22, 2022, 5:18 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Karenchondria
LETTERBOY, wrp96, RRROOO and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 7:17 am

haha...EXACTLY..

Dude, it's called LIFE. Deal with it.
arabiamark, LETTERBOY and SSF556 like this.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 8:29 am

Programs: American Airlines
I think the impression that American recently adjusted refund/change fees is because they stopped selling domestic BE for almost two years, so all domestic fares were changeable.

I don’t think they ever changed domestic BE rules (apart from some waivers at the very beginning of COVID), they just stopped selling them. Which is clever from a marketing perspective with the long term view of reintroducing change fees without needing to make an announcement with all the associated negative publicity.

Domestic BE just came back in the past couple of months, so OP is feeling the change.

I have also switched to WN now for most of my domestic travel since AA “reintroduced” BE. I don’t want to pay 20% premium for the ability to change, and WN has much more SDC flexibility on the route I fly.

Was hitting a high percentage of upgrades on AA, but it’s domestic first, so whatever.

Edit: I understand that BE is totally non changeable/refundable - the rest stands
Old Oct 22, 2022, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
I wish airlines would stop selling BE. It’s not changeable, no seat selections, no bags. It has always been very clear. Yet people who buy them expect exceptions to be made for them. So many time, I see kids crying because they can’t sit next to their “preferred” parent, parents are upset because the entire family of 4 can’t sit together.

now, we have implied Covid risk because BE is not changeable. The whole concept is just troublesome.
IMO, that's on the purchaser, not the airline. These hissy fits are like someone buying Y and expecting to get J "just this time".

AA falls short on clearly disclosing several things, but BE is not one of them. There's a massive banner and repeated reminders that force acknowledgement of the conditions. Not reading or expecting the airline to not follow this is wishful thinking and self-importance.

Also, for us FTers who have status, BE is largely indistinguishable from regular Y save for the non-refundable/changeable aspect.
​​​​​​
Old Oct 22, 2022, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Ivan Denisovich
I think the impression that American recently adjusted refund/change fees is because they stopped selling domestic BE for almost two years, so all domestic fares were changeable.
Domestic BE just came back in the past couple of months, so OP is feeling the change.
Exactly. Nothing has changed except BE fares recently became available again after being gone for 2 years. It was the smart, reasonable and simple thing for AA to do to give all ticket holders flexibility during the pandemic.
LETTERBOY, Antarius and Repooc17 like this.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 9:55 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Covid is over. Move along.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.