Search

Beat up bird

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2022, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Beat up bird

This 320 is 22 years old. When does AA decide to send these relics to the boneyard?

rt23456p likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 5:09 pm

Probably an America West remnant.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lonedaddy
Probably an America West remnant.
no I checked. Delivered to US 10/25/00
Old Oct 18, 2022, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Has nothing to do with the age of the frame and all to do with maintenance and having a modicum of standards.

Air India had 6 month old 787s that felt like they were 40 years old in terms of appearance and cleanliness, for example. Meanwhile, DL has some ancient 763 frames that feel brand new.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What does the age of the aeroplane really matter as long as it is airworthy and maintained ? no reason for the quality of the passenger cabin to be any worse than a newer aeroplane

The photos suggest that the interior needs refurbishing - not that the aeroplane needs to be scrapped
Old Oct 18, 2022, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
What does the age of the aeroplane really matter as long as it is airworthy and maintained ? no reason for the quality of the passenger cabin to be any worse than a newer aeroplane

The photos suggest that the interior needs refurbishing - not that the aeroplane needs to be scrapped
Of course I know it’s been mechanically maintained otherwise it wouldn’t be in the air.

The cabin was falling apart.
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
Has nothing to do with the age of the frame and all to do with maintenance and having a modicum of standards.

Air India had 6 month old 787s that felt like they were 40 years old in terms of appearance and cleanliness, for example. Meanwhile, DL has some ancient 763 frames that feel brand new.
Delta routinely runs older aircraft (717s and 757s) with refurbished interiors. Hard for the general public to tell the age of their aircraft.
cmd320, rt23456p and Antarius like this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 6:18 pm

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
I've actually been noticing this with legacy 320's I've been in lately...it's as if they are scheduled to be removed from service, so not much effort at keeping them looking nice.

We get quite a few of them flying into RNO. Poor unloved birds.

All the best, James
Old Oct 18, 2022, 6:25 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I was on a JetBlue A320 (flying on an AA codeshare) the other day that had the original live TV 6" seatback screens that I could cover with the palm of my hand. The seats were the thick padded leather, unlike today's paper thin seats on newer aircraft. I looked up the tail number and sure enough it was a 2001 delivery. It showed it's age on the inside, but aside from the tiny TV, I wasn't phased much.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 7:22 pm

Come on now you have not been on a America West old bird until the tv monitor falls out of the ceiling when the latch no longer holds.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by enviroian
Of course I know it’s been mechanically maintained otherwise it wouldn’t be in the air.

The cabin was falling apart.
From the photos there did seem to be cabin quality issues but these can be fixed - your original post complained about AA flying a 22 year old aeroplane, which I do not see why that in itself is an issue
trooper, etiene and LovePrunes like this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
From Feb 2022 - N668AW A320:

Old Oct 18, 2022, 8:23 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by PHL
I was on a JetBlue A320 (flying on an AA codeshare) the other day that had the original live TV 6" seatback screens that I could cover with the palm of my hand. The seats were the thick padded leather, unlike today's paper thin seats on newer aircraft. I looked up the tail number and sure enough it was a 2001 delivery. It showed it's age on the inside, but aside from the tiny TV, I wasn't phased much.
On the flipside, JetBlue’s refurbished A320s are stunning and feature sleek interiors, mood lighting, and large seatback screens.
rt23456p and wrldwide1 like this.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I actually like the A320s, other than fewer F seats for upgrades, because they still have the old padded seats, including coach.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EXP100
I actually like the A320s, other than fewer F seats for upgrades, because they still have the old padded seats, including coach.
I do too and is a comfy ride in F compared to slimline oasis. I liked the old style actual bulkhead despite it falling apart. You would think of all the $$ AA is raking in these days they'd re-invest it into updating interiors. Nope.
cmd320 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.