Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA1021 BUF-DFW passengers involuntarily downgraded from Paid First Class

AA1021 BUF-DFW passengers involuntarily downgraded from Paid First Class

Old Oct 11, 2022, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Colin
does AA limit the number of carry-on $125 pets allowed per cabin?
We can only accept:
  • 7 kennels on American flights, excluding service animals
  • 5 kennels on American Eagle flights; 1 in First
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...tance/pets.jsp
I didn't see anything on that page that suggests more than one pet per kennel is prohibited.

But, I did notice the following:
  • Your pet stays in the kennel and under the seat in front of you the entire flight
Old Oct 11, 2022, 9:12 am

How did this thread manage to go from involuntary downgrades to in-flight animals?
KBMIFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by moondog
I didn't see anything on that page that suggests more than one pet per kennel is prohibited.

But, I did notice the following:
Originally Posted by AADFW
How did this thread manage to go from involuntary downgrades to in-flight animals?
​​​​​​​

i just can't help but thinking having two dogs was a factor. rules say these dogs must be underneath seat in front in a case. that eliminates bulkhead. so, here's my guess. these people show up at the airport w/ bulkhead first seats and w/o pre-purchasing two dog carry-on fees. AAgent is rightly annoyed having to deal with this fee collection on top of having to pick 4 confirmed F passengers for downgrade. is AAgent going to move these two F passengers back a row to cleanup their mistake and then find 4 different passengers to downgrade? Or, is agent going to just solve half her 4F downgrade problem in snap bc passengers didn't follow the rules?
Old Oct 11, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
​​​​​​​
these people show up at the airport w/ bulkhead first seats and w/o pre-purchasing two dog carry-on fees. AAgent is rightly annoyed having to deal with this fee collection on top of having to pick 4 confirmed F passengers for downgrade.
This would be a weak excuse as
1) you cannot pre-purchase pet fees. You can only make a reservation by phone to save one of the limited slots (which IME is a waste of time), in any case you have to pay at the counter, unless the rules recently changed
2) $250 (2 pets) for what should be 5 minutes of work is a very high-margin counter transaction for AA, agents should be happy about this need…
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by lrdpenn
This would be a weak excuse as
1) you cannot pre-purchase pet fees. You can only make a reservation by phone to save one of the limited slots (which IME is a waste of time), in any case you have to pay at the counter, unless the rules recently changed
2) $250 (2 pets) for what should be 5 minutes of work is a very high-margin counter transaction for AA, agents should be happy about this need
would AA on the telephone making the pet reservation fix the bulkhead seat assignment error which would have saved the gate agent having to hassle with finding volunteers for a seat shuffle? might that be sufficient explanation for why a gate agent needing to downgrade passengers pick the passengers in the invalid row for downgrade? point here is advise for future and not showing up w a carryon pet and a bulkhead seat assignment is prudent advice for those capable of receiving it.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 1:12 pm
jqm
Original Poster

would AA on the telephone making the pet reservation fix the bulkhead seat assignment error which would have saved the gate agent having to hassle with finding volunteers for a seat shuffle? might that be sufficient explanation for why a gate agent needing to downgrade passengers pick the passengers in the invalid row for downgrade? point here is advise for future and not showing up w a carryon pet and a bulkhead seat assignment is prudent advice for those capable of receiving it.
She said she called ahead of time to both arrange the dogs and wheelchair request.

At this stage, I think we can conclude there was a change of airplane, some combination of special requests, and possibly lack of status which knocked her out of first class. And just some poor gate management on AA's part which upgraded two others over her paid ticket.

Last mystery: Some people had mentioned that it is possible due to the aircraft change that the two others upgraded over these folks may also have been paid first as well. Would the upgrade list on the board list people who were paid first, seated in economy, then placed back in first as an "upgrade"?
Old Oct 12, 2022, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jqm
She said she called ahead of time to both arrange the dogs and wheelchair request.

At this stage, I think we can conclude there was a change of airplane, some combination of special requests, and possibly lack of status which knocked her out of first class. And just some poor gate management on AA's part which upgraded two others over her paid ticket.

Last mystery: Some people had mentioned that it is possible due to the aircraft change that the two others upgraded over these folks may also have been paid first as well. Would the upgrade list on the board list people who were paid first, seated in economy, then placed back in first as an "upgrade"?
If they were correctly denoted as DSR, then yes, ​they would show up on the board for upgrades above any other passengers (listed by status).

So it is definitely possible that the 2 upgrades were F pax downgraded and got the seats due to being higher status than the other passengers.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jqm
IRROPs rather than aircraft change but in that case I was originally in paid F, AA only had Y available and I showed up on the upgrade list.
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, DL Silver, SPG Titanium
Originally Posted by hbtr
IRROPs rather than aircraft change but in that case I was originally in paid F, AA only had Y available and I showed up on the upgrade list.
To me, that sounds like you weren't properly listed as DSR for F.

IIRC -- and I could be wrong since it's been a while since I've been in this situation, and things do change -- DSR does not show up on UG list.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.