Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Going from Plat Pro to Exec Plat - Existing Reservation Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2022, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

I'm close to moving up to Executive Platinum and have several flights already booked. I thought I read somewhere that I need to contact AA for those reservations and have my FF number removed and put back in, or my status level would be what I had when I booked it.

Is this correct, or is the system smart enough to assign the current status? Most concerned about the upgrade window.

TIA.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by gowarty
I'm close to moving up to Executive Platinum and have several flights already booked. I thought I read somewhere that I need to contact AA for those reservations and have my FF number removed and put back in, or my status level would be what I had when I booked it.

Is this correct, or is the system smart enough to assign the current status? Most concerned about the upgrade window.

TIA.
No, not smart enough, call and get it updated after you hit EXP. Same situation with me but I buy F so less of a problem. You do get correct bonus points though (thankfully) as I got to EXP after my first leg so my second leg got more bonus points.
nineworldseries likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 1:30 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Last time I moved through the ranks was when plat pro was introduced (lost exp to plat pro, and then within jan moved from plat pro to EXP) but didnt have to call and re-state number..
Old Oct 6, 2022, 2:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by galaticos
Last time I moved through the ranks was when plat pro was introduced (lost exp to plat pro, and then within jan moved from plat pro to EXP) but didnt have to call and re-state number..
Same here. I had bought some tickets when I was Platinum Pro but upgrades were processed based on the Executive Platinum timing once I became Executive Platinum. I didn’t have to call, either.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 6:53 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by Raralith
No, not smart enough, call and get it updated after you hit EXP. Same situation with me but I buy F so less of a problem. You do get correct bonus points though (thankfully) as I got to EXP after my first leg so my second leg got more bonus points.
Really? I'm going to hit EXP next week and I have 28 upcoming AA flights and like 12 AS ones. Please tell me I don't actually have to call in and get all of these switched.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 7:50 am
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
I was PPRO when i booked flights for this upcoming weekend, became EXP a few weeks back, and was upgraded on my first leg at exactly T-100.
I did not call in...
Old Oct 6, 2022, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by DreAAmliner
I was PPRO when i booked flights for this upcoming weekend, became EXP a few weeks back, and was upgraded on my first leg at exactly T-100.
I did not call in...
Yeah, after thinking it through, it doesn't make any sense. I definitely booked flights as a Gold and was then upgraded like a Platinum once I hit Plat, then same thing once I hit PP. Never had to call. Patently untrue after my experience this week--see below post for update.

Last edited by nineworldseries; Nov 12, 2022 at 8:01 am
Old Nov 12, 2022, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by gowarty

TIA.
You 100% need to call in and have your bookings updated. I did not ever believe this before, and a few AA reps even told me that everything would happen automatically, but then I checked again with an AA rep on Twitter this week, and they said that my 34 upcoming reservations all reflected my Platinum Pro, not my new EXP status. So yes you have to call in and have the reservations updated. The EXP phone agent said that what needed to happen was to delete the FF# from the reservation and then readd it. It took about 45 minutes for 34 upcoming reservations.
GVR Bill likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 8:17 am

Programs: Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
You 100% need to call in and have your bookings updated. I did not ever believe this before, and a few AA reps even told me that everything would happen automatically, but then I checked again with an AA rep on Twitter this week, and they said that my 34 upcoming reservations all reflected my Platinum Pro, not my new EXP status. So yes you have to call in and have the reservations updated. The EXP phone agent said that what needed to happen was to delete the FF# from the reservation and then readd it. It took about 45 minutes for 34 upcoming reservations.
do you know if you can do this yourself by removing your FF number from the reservation, finding your reservation, and adding back in your number?
Old Nov 12, 2022, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jagoffee
do you know if you can do this yourself by removing your FF number from the reservation, finding your reservation, and adding back in your number?
You can't remove a FF number from an AA reservation (at least not via AA.com... if there is a workaround, e.g. using another airlines website to look up the PNR, then I'd be interested to hear about it).
Old Nov 12, 2022, 2:19 pm

Programs: Executive Platinum
Coleslaw, Thank you.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Twitter DM is your friend here. Send them all the PNRs and ask them to remove your AAdvantage number and re-enter it for each one. They will message you back when it's done and you won't have to spend any time on the phone.
GVR Bill likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Does anyone know if this applies to JetBlue reservations also? I just hit Plat Pro and might want to take advantage of same-day switch on an upcoming trip, which isn't available to lower tiers.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 9:28 am
formerly plenTpak

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by njvandy
Twitter DM is your friend here. Send them all the PNRs and ask them to remove your AAdvantage number and re-enter it for each one. They will message you back when it's done and you won't have to spend any time on the phone.
Also can do this via chat feature in AA app. I requested them to delete, and then reapply my FF#. They confirmed the delete/add and did not ask any context. Took about 5 minutes for two upcoming reservations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.