Avoiding 737 max in AA?

Old Oct 1, 2022, 5:53 am

Programs: AA EXP DL Plat BONVOY LT Plat
at 35,000 feet , I cannot tell a difference between 737 equipment and A32X equipment.
as for the safety - I think that is moot for a carrier like American - their pilots are professional and are trained to perform
LETTERBOY and seigex like this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 7:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pampa
I have fear of flying but think that the MAX is now safer. MCAS doesn't have the same teeth as before. From Boeing:
  • Measurements from two Angle of Attack (AOA) sensors will be compared.
  • Each sensor will submit its own data to the airplane’s flight control computer.
  • MCAS will only be activated if both sensors agree.
  • MCAS will only be activated once.
  • MCAS will never override the pilot’s ability to control the airplane using the control column alone.
I’m not a pilot or engineer but that these ‘fixes’ weren’t initially part of the system is head scratching. That said, I will not fault anyone for some extra sense of nervousness but not flying them seems extreme.
LETTERBOY, wrp96 and pampa like this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by JackMackey
I’m not a pilot or engineer but that these ‘fixes’ weren’t initially part of the system is head scratching. That said, I will not fault anyone for some extra sense of nervousness but not flying them seems extreme.
From my understanding, the second AoA indicator was, but only some airlines choose to pay for it.

EDIT: correction, it was the alert and indicators that were optional:

Boeing offered customers two optional paid features relating to AOA. The first was an AOA DISAGREE alert when the two sensors disagreed and the second was an indicator giving pilots a gauge of the actual angle.

Last edited by seigex; Oct 1, 2022 at 8:34 am
Old Oct 1, 2022, 12:36 pm

If you are interested in reducing risk to the level you will avoid a MAX you would get an order of magnitude bigger bang for your buck by flying LHR-YYZ nonstop.
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by Aliquot; Oct 1, 2022 at 1:32 pm
Old Oct 1, 2022, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
I would hope that some folks currently in F on my Tuesday flight decide to not want to fly the MAX so we can get above J0 and make space for upgrades.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

So answer
Why dont they remove the MCAS?
Old Oct 1, 2022, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by plas
I'm also an aeronautical engineer and I disagree.
so please Comment,
why don’t they remove the MCAS

(they can’t, because of the design incompatibility. Mcas is an additional variable which shouldn’t be there. It was all about doing it in a rush. All of you defending Boeing are either naive or paid by Boeing. Just like they are spending millions to keep covering everything. Out of the 100 critical incidents logged post feb 2022 , 60 were of Boeing max and there is a lid on it. But this stats can easily be checked if you have the resources to.)
you don’t mind flying, it’s fine, but stop making fun of people who are aware and conscious about it
Old Oct 1, 2022, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
You asked the question if it's possible to identify if AA has a 737-MAX scheduled on a given flight. It is, trivially, by going to AA.com if BA's booking doesn't show it. The flight you want is scheduled to be a 737-800. Any aircraft assignment can, and often does, change at any time, especially between planes with identical passenger configurations like AA's 738s and 7M8s. There are precious few North American airlines, and no BA partners, on which you can be guaranteed not winding up on a 737-MAX variant on a flight from the US to YYZ (or on nearly any other mainline narrowbody route); I think the odds of getting swapped to a 7M8 are similar on AA to any other North American airline other than Delta or jetBlue. Honestly, what more is there to the thread at this point?
Old Oct 1, 2022, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Khansam
So answer
Why dont they remove the MCAS?
C'mon man.
​​​​​
Hoi polloi likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Simple answer...if you don't want to fly on the 737 Max 8, you shouldn't book any mainline (non-TPAC/TATL) flights on AA as they can be switched to this aircraft at any point. Your own views on the safety of the aircraft are yours to have, which is perfectly fine. There's not much more that can be said for this topic.
FAA1996 likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; HH Gold; Bonvoy Gold; Wynd Diamond
This whole thread just smells of bs to me… OP creates an account to ask for readily available information, has to ‘clarify’ his route several times, etc… I’m not buying any of it.
LETTERBOY and DSM Flyer like this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 9:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
You should stick to boats, trains and cars.
Hoi polloi likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, WN, Hyatt, HHonors, Avis Pref+
Just like they are spending millions to keep covering everything. Out of the 100 critical incidents logged post feb 2022 , 60 were of Boeing max and there is a lid on it. But this stats can easily be checked if you have the resources to.)
​​​​​​Citation needed.

What are the other 40/100? So we can avoid those planes too.
LETTERBOY and Antarius like this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 5:00 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by ptsailor
This whole thread just smells of bs to me… OP creates an account to ask for readily available information, has to ‘clarify’ his route several times, etc… I’m not buying any of it.
You may be on to something here.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
am BA gold so have to stick with BA.
Are you sure about that? I am BA gold as well. I just checked their terms and conditions and see nothing that requires me to fly BA.
ijgordon likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.