Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

4x miles on AA purchases with Citi AAdvantage Executive Card through 12/31/22

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4x miles on AA purchases with Citi AAdvantage Executive Card through 12/31/22

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2022, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Originally Posted by AB Dada
Wow, that's not how I'm reading this at all, interesting.

"Eligible AAdvantage® miles include the base miles earned on purchases, and do not include any bonus miles or accelerators. Loyalty Points may be earned on miles on purchases made by primary cardmembers and authorized users. Loyalty Points earned will be posted to the primary credit cardmember’s AAdvantage® account in 8-10 weeks."

I would assume if you're getting 2X miles already on the card per $1 on AA purchases, that means 2 LPs are currently earned per $1 -- but I admit I've never actually looked at my statements to see. I'll have to log in later and check.
How are you not reading it, it's CLEAR as day in your fine print quote:

"Eligible AAdvantage® miles include the base miles earned on purchases, and do not include any bonus miles or accelerators"

AA says Loyalty Points are only earned from "Eligible" miles. Hence, eligible miles do NOT include bonuses. Hence, 1 Loyalty Point per dollar spent regardless of bonus. It's horribly confusing and shame on AA/Citi for using such terminology and relying on fine print. Any normal human interprets this as, you get 4 miles, those miles are eligible to be used for miles so I should get matching LPs. They should simply say, "Loyalty Points are earned on base miles only"

I already proved this on my post above with screen shots, six tickets purchased, received Base Miles + LP then received JUST Bonus miles with no LP.
ksucats likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 1:21 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
It seems so stingy that the AA shopping portal gives out miles like candy but the AA credit cards only give one per dollar spent, with the only caveat that you can get a few thousand extra for spend thresholds.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
One thing that gives me hope that I won't be competing with a bunch of newly-minted EXPs next year is that a lot of posters still seem baffled by how Loyalty Points earning even works.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Considering exp status is 200k LP a year switching to Amex platinum would put the kabosh in that! I spend probably 70k on that card now so I wouldn’t requalify not using the Amex plat.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EP
Wow, that's not how I'm reading this at all, interesting.

"Eligible AAdvantage® miles include the base miles earned on purchases, and do not include any bonus miles or accelerators. Loyalty Points may be earned on miles on purchases made by primary cardmembers and authorized users. Loyalty Points earned will be posted to the primary credit cardmember’s AAdvantage® account in 8-10 weeks."

I would assume if you're getting 2X miles already on the card per $1 on AA purchases, that means 2 LPs are currently earned per $1 -- but I admit I've never actually looked at my statements to see. I'll have to log in later and check.
Give it up lol
Old Sep 30, 2022, 6:38 am

Talking

Originally Posted by craig_2029
Give it up lol
I have. I look for all of 5 minutes, saw that it IS the case that it's only 1 LP per $1, and moved on.

I don't nit pick every penny I spend, seems like a huge waste of time. I'm not surprised that a lot of folks will waste 200 hours a year on forums and spreadsheets and calculators in order to try to get $2000 worth of "free" upgrades, tho, lol.

Not shocked at all that most of them are here.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 6:39 am

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by BrianV
How are you not reading it, it's CLEAR as day in your fine print quote:

"Eligible AAdvantage® miles include the base miles earned on purchases, and do not include any bonus miles or accelerators"
Yeah, lol, that's clear as day.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
One thing that gives me hope that I won't be competing with a bunch of newly-minted EXPs next year is that a lot of posters still seem baffled by how Loyalty Points earning even works.
It's not just "posters" that are baffled by LP. I doubt that more than a couple of pax on any given AA flight have even heard of LP.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by JetAway
It's not just "posters" that are baffled by LP. I doubt that more than a couple of pax on any given AA flight have even heard of LP.
I regularly fly the same flight between cities (personal reasons) with someone who flies for work reasons. For a long time, he was always 1 step above me on the upgrade list but recently he was 1 step below me. We know each other by XXX, Y naming conventions and he mentioned last time we were both upgraded that he was surprised I was ahead of him since he flies every week while I fly every other week or so -- I mentioned my most recent round trips were $650 (last minute bookings) versus the usual $250 which obviously gave me enough LPs to get ahead of him.

His response was "LPs? What are those?"

This is someone who flies weekly on AA for work, too.
nineworldseries likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by MarkOK
Not sure why it shouldn't be 4x miles all the time anyways, but at least we get it for a bit.
I wouldn't be surprised if they are running this as a trial, the new United Club card gives 4x miles on UA purchases, and the premium DL cards gives 3x miles on DL purchases.

Of course, this would probably come with an AF increase, so....
Old Oct 1, 2022, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I'm not sure this will drive a lot of incremental business to the card. I already charge personal AA tickets to the card, and that's the only thing I charge to the card. Business tickets have to go on the company card. A promo that increased loyalty points for that spend would be a much different story.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 7:02 am
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
So there seems to be a fair amount of personal AA airfare purchased on AA cards in this thread.

Genuinely, may I ask why? With zero travel protections and a worse earning structure than most other travel cards (including $99 low-mid tier cards), I am really trying to understand the value-add for using the AA card for airfare. One LP/RDM + one extra RDM does not appear like a good trade to me?
Old Oct 2, 2022, 7:55 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by DreAAmliner
So there seems to be a fair amount of personal AA airfare purchased on AA cards in this thread.

Genuinely, may I ask why? With zero travel protections and a worse earning structure than most other travel cards (including $99 low-mid tier cards), I am really trying to understand the value-add for using the AA card for airfare. One LP/RDM + one extra RDM does not appear like a good trade to me?
I will barely be able to qualify for executive platinum this year, so going for every LP I can get. I have had the AA card for years for lounge access. I don't have any other travel cards with travel protections and don't want any more cards. I have discover that I primarily use for the 5% cashback promos. Then I have IHG, Marriott & Hilton that I primarily use when I stay at their properties.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by DreAAmliner

If I fly 100 flights a year averaging $210 per flights, it’s $21,000 a year on a credit card.

21,000 LPs by shoving it on an AA card, plus 84,000 bonus award miles?

$1312.50 putting it on my Schwab Amex Platinum.

I value my award miles for domestic travel mostly so let’s say I value them at $840 or so. And LPs help with upgrades — and I see how I swap positions with frequent flyers on the same route.

I am not going to cry over $500 in value in a year. My time is worth more than nickel and diming. If I remember to stick it on Amex, I will, but not in some obsessive methodology.

I am not wealthy, either. But time is so much more valuable to me. I am positive a lot of folks are happy to use 2 or 3 credit cards and be fine with missing out on $120 a month of more cash back.

As for travel insurance, I have never needed it once in my life that I can think of. I did get covid in Mexico tho, so perhaps then, but I have flown 2000 flights to 6 continents and maybe one time I needed insurance? It’s not even close to being valuable, to me.
ksucats likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 7:47 am
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
If I fly 100 flights a year averaging $210 per flights, it’s $21,000 a year on a credit card.

21,000 LPs by shoving it on an AA card, plus 84,000 bonus award miles?

$1312.50 putting it on my Schwab Amex Platinum.

I value my award miles for domestic travel mostly so let’s say I value them at $840 or so. And LPs help with upgrades — and I see how I swap positions with frequent flyers on the same route.

I am not going to cry over $500 in value in a year. My time is worth more than nickel and diming. If I remember to stick it on Amex, I will, but not in some obsessive methodology.

I am not wealthy, either. But time is so much more valuable to me. I am positive a lot of folks are happy to use 2 or 3 credit cards and be fine with missing out on $120 a month of more cash back.

As for travel insurance, I have never needed it once in my life that I can think of. I did get covid in Mexico tho, so perhaps then, but I have flown 2000 flights to 6 continents and maybe one time I needed insurance? It’s not even close to being valuable, to me.
My only pushback is that you are essentially giving up a near equivalent (if not slightly better using your own math) redemption alternative to NOT have insurance, just to get 21k LPs.
LPs are easy/cheap to come by, and i would rather take a few extra minutes out of my day to buy something through the eshopping portal than be uninsured. When things go wrong, the usually get expensive, especially as it is normally weather which is not covered by the airline.

I am glad you have never needed flight interruption/luggage coverages before and genuinely hope this continues to be the case for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.