Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"Main Cabin Flexible" - how to find fare rules?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2022, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

where does AA hide fare rules these days?

I was looking at a fare (coach TYO-LAX ow if relevant) described as flexible and "Main Cabin Flexible" with Q bucket in popup and a bullet...
  • Changes or refunds allowed
nowhere on those pages i can see what it means exactly and the next step is to fill out pax information..

As i have zero trust in AA I did look up in expertflyer and the matching fare seems to have 30000Y cancellation fee but i only took a quick glance without thorough reading so far so maybe i was off..

The question remains - where can one find the fare rules or at least what "main cabin flexible" really means prior to buying? (but good news is that it prominently peddles upgrade to prem eco for $2K+ - cant miss that one)
Old Sep 23, 2022, 11:10 pm

Isn't it still on the page of final payment, where there's an extremely tiny blue lines of "detailed fare rules'? Not sure if it's still the case as I havent bought an AA ticket in a while. (Only works for the US website. All other countries website which uses a very suspicious looking Amadeus interface only shows the fare rule name, and some extremely basic and useless information like min stay etc, and can't display the full rule) Also in the past the twitter/phone whatever cs couldn't send me the fare rule.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, they are still on the final "Review and Pay" page with link at bottom of page to "Detailed fare rules" as below. If you want to get to it more quickly, click the "skip seats for all flights" link when you get to the seat selection process.

Here is top of fare rule page.

If you were looking at the QLE00ON0 "Main Cabin Flexible" fares, they indeed have a cancellation/refund fee of JPY 30000 as found in the fare rules.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 24, 2022 at 12:01 am
Old Sep 24, 2022, 3:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you book on AA's Japan site, it is very clear what the change and refund conditions are - for example for booking that I checked it states in fare conditions

Adult

Tokyo - Los Angeles

Refund conditions
  •  
    • Check full fare conditions for additional information
  • Prior to Departure of first flight
    • Refund: Allowed with restrictions
    • Penalty fee between: 30000 JPY / 30000 JPY (at today exchange rates 30000 JPY / 30000 JPY)
    • Maximum Refund penalty fee for entire ticket: 30000 JPY
  • No-show for first flight
    • Refund: Not allowed
  • After departure of first flight
    • Penalty fee between: 30000 JPY / 30000 JPY (at today exchange rates 30000 JPY / 30000 JPY)
  • No-show for subsequent flight(s)

Los Angeles - Tokyo

Refund conditions
  •  
    • Check full fare conditions for additional information
  • Prior to Departure of first flight
  • No-show for first flight
    • Refund: Not allowed
  • After departure of first flight
  • No-show for subsequent flight(s)

Not sure why AA's US site makes it very difficult to read the rules whilst in other countries, it makes it easy to read
Old Sep 24, 2022, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
If you put an itinerary on hold (if you can still manage it these days) there will also be a link to the fare rules.

Refundable does not necessarily mean without penalty, and it’s unfortunate how deep one must look in the fine print to confirm this on “flexible” fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.