Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Passenger with nut allergy wants FC flyers to forego dinner

Passenger with nut allergy wants FC flyers to forego dinner

Old Sep 23, 22, 9:08 am

Programs: MVPG75, OWE, Hilton, Bonvoy, Enterprise Plus, MGM, AA, BA
Originally Posted by dickinson View Post
On AA 1982 BOS to MiA. Woman in front of me can't understand why they are going to serve dinner. She says it could kill her because of her nut allergy. She is never flying AA again because she says all other airlines honor her request.
Something tells me her double N95 caused entitlement syndrome. Other pax should have acted swiftly, subduing her with seatbelt extenders, and providing her husband with a smaller girlfriend.
Old Sep 23, 22, 9:12 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
Originally Posted by lawly View Post
I get the point you are making, but in practice this is not true. I have a severe nut allergy and the smell of nearby nuts can cause panic attacks that manifest in the form of allergic response reactions. It's not like anyone chooses to be like "I smell nuts so I'm gonna freak out", it's your own body working against you and you can't help it. Like for me, I know there is no chance I'll die, and I regularly work on mitigation techniques to help in those situations. I do fly first class on American but I won't eat the food unless every dish served that flight is nut free, not just mine. However, this doesn't mean that no one can eat! It simply means that I won't eat that flight. If someone next to me is eating nuts, I have my anxiety mitigation techniques.

It seems clear the person is a "the world revolves around me" type person which is annoying, but I do find some empathy knowing myself that allergy anxiety creates physical symptoms that are difficult to get past sometimes. I really hope they learned their lesson because it's bottom line it's unacceptable. I just thought I'd share a different perspective.
If you are getting panic attacks due to "what if's," I would suggest that you discuss this with your PCP and possibly seek therapy for it. Biofeedback can be a fantastic way to train your brain to not overreact to stresses. I mean this with all due courtesy, and it is not intended to be snarky. My son used biofeedback for a similar stress point when he was a tweener, and over 20 years later is still able to use the techniques he learned when facing certain stressful situations.
Old Sep 23, 22, 9:17 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by llary View Post

If a passenger in the seat next to me politely asked me not to do or eat something because it stressed them out or upset them I would have ZERO problem complying whether they had an allergy or not, it's just basic human decency.
Then explain to them that you are gluten intolerant ask that they refrain from eating anything with gluten.
LovePrunes and Annerk like this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Curious what the cabin crew said or how they responded, and if the passenger continued making a stink or just sat there for the rest of the flight?
Annerk likes this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 11:48 am

Programs: MP Silver
wear a n95 mask if you are afraid of tree nut aerosols
Old Sep 23, 22, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I found it amazing when speaking with my friends mother (in her 80's) telling me how she changed her health in the 80's because she stopped eating Chinese food, as the MSG in it gave her headaches and made her feel ill. This as she continued the entire time to devour an entire bowl of Doritos in front of her.................There exponentially more MSG in a bag of Doritos than any Chinese restaurant would have ever put in any Chinese meal.

A friend of mine whgo owns restaurants loves to tell stories about people demanding non-dairy for their meals.................but then ordering Ice Cream with a wink.

No one doubts that there are a few people out there with extreme allergies, but such people are, believe it or not a teeny tiny minority. I have personally seen peanuts served in an F cabin, one passenger was asleep, everyone chowed down, the passenger woke up (she was seated across the aisle from me) was totally normal for several hours, and then later on when the FA was collecting garbage SAW an empty peanut pack and then started to have a complete breakdown about how "she was going to die" because people were eating peanuts around her. The FA's tried to console her.......she was having no shock, and the passenger next to her - who identified himself as a doctor - calmed her down by pointing out that everyone had eaten their peanuts several hours before, and it was incredibly unlikely that anything would happen to her. She then pulled herself together.
Old Sep 23, 22, 2:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
Originally Posted by hfly View Post
I found it amazing when speaking with my friends mother (in her 80's) telling me how she changed her health in the 80's because she stopped eating Chinese food, as the MSG in it gave her headaches and made her feel ill. This as she continued the entire time to devour an entire bowl of Doritos in front of her.................There exponentially more MSG in a bag of Doritos than any Chinese restaurant would have ever put in any Chinese meal.
I was talking to a friend of mine who is a nutritionist. She said that a lot of the "symptoms of MSG" that people get after eating Chinese food are actually water retention and elevated blood pressure due to the high amounts of sodium found in Chinese foods.
Old Sep 23, 22, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Be grateful that she didn't have her nut detecting service squirrel with her.
Old Sep 23, 22, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So did she die?
Old Sep 23, 22, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold (earned), AS, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Five Star
As someone with a lifelong and potentially life-threatening nut allergy, I have a novel tip for this lady...

Avoid eating nuts.

This strategy works 100% of the time.
Old Sep 23, 22, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Originally Posted by rickg523 View Post
So did she die?
We'll never know. Big Nut controls all media.
PresRDC, TommyD2, Sealink and 8 others like this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 4:29 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
We may only hope and pray that her bluff is real and that she never flies AA again.
Oh no! With my luck she'll switch to Delta, on which I more often fly.
cemlaw likes this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 5:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Hilton/IHG Diamond, LT UA Silver.
Originally Posted by nancypants View Post
this is in part why the misinformation has to be countered. People have heard this but youll die if someone 30 rows back on the plane opens a bag of nuts so many times that they now have medical sequelae to an entirely non-existent thing. Its literally mass hysteria. It has to be called out literally every time it is brought up. Ideally thered be mass advertising and a rollback of any existing nut free airline policies but Im a realist and know that wont happen
Now do this with the fentanyl hysteria.
GrumpyYoungMan and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Curious what the cabin crew said or how they responded, and if the passenger continued making a stink or just sat there for the rest of the flight?
The cabin crew was courteous and very professional. They explained that they did not set the policy, that the airline did. And the passenger did not continue to complain about the policy after expressing her opinion that she would never again fly American...Oh, to those concerned, she seemed OK on arrival in Miami.
llary likes this.

Last edited by dickinson; Sep 23, 22 at 6:10 pm
Old Sep 23, 22, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dickinson View Post
The cabin crew was courteous and very professional. They explained that they did not set the policy, that the airline did. And the passenger did not continue to complain about the policy after expressing her opinion that she would never again fly American...Oh, to those concerned, she seemed OK on arrival in Miami.
Another Miami "miracle" flight...they just never stop
wrp96 likes this.

Search this Thread