Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Passenger with nut allergy wants FC flyers to forego dinner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger with nut allergy wants FC flyers to forego dinner

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2022, 5:12 am

Airlines could provide meals that are nut free without any loss to most meals.

I was on a plane when it was announced that someone had a serious nut allergy so no one could eat anything with nuts. The woman in front then ate a snickers without a medical emergency so it was just the airline covering their back.
Auto Enthusiast and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 5:32 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
When I was a grad school, I had a part-time internship at a consulting firm. I went in a couple of days a week to find various numbers in annual reports and 10-Ks and plug them into spreadsheets, do PowerPoints, stuff like that.

One day I bought some peanut M&Ms and brought them back to the office, and I asked others there if they wanted any. One guy said he couldn't because he had a very serious peanut allergy. I apologized and asked him if I should put them away, and he just said, nah, it's fine.
Because we all know the plural of anecdote is data
Old Sep 23, 2022, 6:28 am

Programs: AA, Hertz, Hyatt, Hilton
Originally Posted by Collierkr
This nut sh*t has to stop. Drive, fly private or maybe just stay home.
Truth. If your allergy is so bad that you have to rely on everyone else on a plane so that you won't potentially die, then perhaps you shouldn't be flying at all.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:05 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
She should have taken Amtrak and not flown. How strange of her to think she could control what others eat.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:46 am

Programs: AA, Hilton
Perhaps we can start a new airline? NoNut Airways.

Ironically serving pax who are a) nutty b) haven’t nutted in ages or c) are actually allergic to nuts. I see a huge market here.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Why don't I get specimens like these on my flights. My flights are all pretty much boring. TBH since her comment was so asinine and selfish I really would have asked her if I could have her nuts.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by FlyingfromDC
She should have taken Amtrak and not flown. How strange of her to think she could control what others eat.
There's stories of airlines accommodating these requests, so there's probably people who expect exactly that to happen.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:07 am

"These people who claim they're going to die if they so much as look at a peanut on an airplane - I have a really hard time believing that, I'm sorry."

Try a little education on the subject, you might learn something. My mother will die if you breath your peanut breath in her face and she can't get her epi pen out in time. It's a rare condition, and she'd never ask people to not eat. She will just keep her pen ready so you can eat your precious nuts that you fly first class for lol....
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.6 MM
What aboutmy dog/cat allergy?

I feel the same way. I am quite allergic to dogs and cats, yet somehow manage to make it through a flight...
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
Those are definitely options, they're fairly tasty, and usually have more food than the standard meals.

YMMV on whether catering actually loads them. My success rate is 33% this year...
Thank you, and thanks to the OP for mentioning this. I looked at the list for the first time. It seems only a few special meals are "Available on most domestic flights when a full meal is served in First." I'll give the Hindu meal a try next time I'm on an eligible flight.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Stripe
There are no peanuts in the AA nut mix, and I doubt there was anything in on any of the meal trays that would have triggered a peanut allergy. Aren't most nut allergies specific to peanuts?

What was for dinner? And I'm also curious. Was there a postprandial medical diversion?
Not 100% accurate. The evening "Protein Pack" does have almonds. even if the label clearly says, NO PEANUTS... true it doesn't have peanuts, but it does have almonds. My GF is allergic, but airborne is not an issue for her, so we just sanitize all surfaces and avoid the nuts. All good.
Annerk likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by A Berry
"These people who claim they're going to die if they so much as look at a peanut on an airplane - I have a really hard time believing that, I'm sorry."

Try a little education on the subject, you might learn something. My mother will die if you breath your peanut breath in her face and she can't get her epi pen out in time. It's a rare condition, and she'd never ask people to not eat. She will just keep her pen ready so you can eat your precious nuts that you fly first class for lol....
No, she won't.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:57 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Originally Posted by dickinson
On AA 1982 BOS to MiA. Woman in front of me can't understand why they are going to serve dinner. She says it could kill her because of her nut allergy. She is never flying AA again because she says all other airlines honor her request.
I'm allergic to all tree nuts, peanuts, shellfish, and the list goes on. I do not believe that with one exception, someone eating an item containing peanuts or tree nuts or their presence in a room (or airline cabin which has fresher air than a typical restaurant) will cause anaphylaxis. The only exception is eating fresh peanuts or tree nuts in the shell, as shelling them creates quite a bit of fragmentation, some small enough to be airborne.

If I was that allergic, I would not fly commercially. All airlines have a disclaimer on their web site about serving nuts/peanut products and/or not being able to keep other passengers from bringing them on board.

https://www.maallergy.com/blog/focus...1-common-myths
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by the phoenix
Perhaps we can start a new airline? NoNut Airways.

Ironically serving pax who are a) nutty b) haven’t nutted in ages or c) are actually allergic to nuts. I see a huge market here.
Oh please can I design the livery?!!

I gots ideas!!!
Old Sep 23, 2022, 9:07 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Originally Posted by A Berry

As a person with numerous food allergies, if I were that allergic that someone breathing near me after eating a PBJ could kill me, I wouldn't be flying commercial.

By the way, the medical evidence contradicts your claim.

https://foodallergycanada.ca/ask-the...red-june-2021/
https://www.aaaai.org/allergist-reso...nut-air-travel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.