Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Passenger with nut allergy wants FC flyers to forego dinner

Passenger with nut allergy wants FC flyers to forego dinner

Old Sep 22, 22, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Not to get totally off topic here, but it's so boring they seem to only serve nuts as the appetizer, not to mention in square bowls wherein round ones are more appropriate.
Old Sep 22, 22, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold.
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Me me me me me me.

I'm sympathetic to allergies and ​​​​​understand accomodations, but this is absurd. What next, she wants everyone's bags searched in case they happened to have snacks?
2006 or so flying out of PHX-CLT this exactly happened. On the board at the gate was "NUT FREE FLIGHT." The gate agents were on the PA every 5-10min reminding people that Peanuts were not allowed on this flight. No Peanuts, No Candy with Peanuts, No Peanut Butter, etc...... People were requested to show any food they are brining on with them to validate. It was serious stuff. But at least US was very open and repeating the danger Peanuts would be on this fight.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 9:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by dickinson View Post
I ordered Hindu and wife ordered Asian vegetarian. Hindu was a hot chicken curry (best meal I have had on a domestic flight in ages) and wife's meal was also served hot. It's definitely a good idea to order a special meal if you want a hot meal on the BOS to MIA route.
These are options in domestic F? Yummy!
Old Sep 22, 22, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by GaryZ View Post
Not to get totally off topic here, but it's so boring they seem to only serve nuts as the appetizer, not to mention in square bowls wherein round ones are more appropriate.
AA doesn't mean for the nuts to be served as an appetizer, just a warm, more elegant snack during the initial drink service
Auto Enthusiast and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
This nut sh*t has to stop. Drive, fly private or maybe just stay home.
Old Sep 22, 22, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Repeated studies have shown that the myth of airborne peanut dust is exactly that. Even in severe cases, they're likelier to touch something that was left behind on the seat and then a mucus membrane.

Some random person in F eating something that may have been in facility that comes in contact with peanuts will not do anything to this person.
​​​​​
​​​​​All I can say to these people is - Trust the science, skip the hype.
Originally Posted by AAdamE View Post
Correct. According to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology

"There is no evidence to support peanut vapor as a cause of reactions or that peanut dust itself circulates and causes reactions."
I get the point you are making, but in practice this is not true. I have a severe nut allergy and the smell of nearby nuts can cause panic attacks that manifest in the form of allergic response reactions. It's not like anyone chooses to be like "I smell nuts so I'm gonna freak out", it's your own body working against you and you can't help it. Like for me, I know there is no chance I'll die, and I regularly work on mitigation techniques to help in those situations. I do fly first class on American but I won't eat the food unless every dish served that flight is nut free, not just mine. However, this doesn't mean that no one can eat! It simply means that I won't eat that flight. If someone next to me is eating nuts, I have my anxiety mitigation techniques.

It seems clear the person is a "the world revolves around me" type person which is annoying, but I do find some empathy knowing myself that allergy anxiety creates physical symptoms that are difficult to get past sometimes. I really hope they learned their lesson because it's bottom line it's unacceptable. I just thought I'd share a different perspective.
PresRDC, corky, renila and 23 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 11:00 pm

Programs: EVA
Originally Posted by lawly View Post
I get the point you are making, but in practice this is not true. I have a severe nut allergy and the smell of nearby nuts can cause panic attacks that manifest in the form of allergic response reactions. It's not like anyone chooses to be like "I smell nuts so I'm gonna freak out", it's your own body working against you and you can't help it. Like for me, I know there is no chance I'll die, and I regularly work on mitigation techniques to help in those situations. I do fly first class on American but I won't eat the food unless every dish served that flight is nut free, not just mine. However, this doesn't mean that no one can eat! It simply means that I won't eat that flight. If someone next to me is eating nuts, I have my anxiety mitigation techniques.

It seems clear the person is a "the world revolves around me" type person which is annoying, but I do find some empathy knowing myself that allergy anxiety creates physical symptoms that are difficult to get past sometimes. I really hope they learned their lesson because it's bottom line it's unacceptable. I just thought I'd share a different perspective.
If someone was demanding and complaining that the whole plane cancels dinner because of a claimed allergy I would advise them to get lost and probably eat as many extra helpings of Walnut Surprise as the FA would give me, because I'm petty.

If a passenger in the seat next to me politely asked me not to do or eat something because it stressed them out or upset them I would have ZERO problem complying whether they had an allergy or not, it's just basic human decency.
Old Sep 22, 22, 11:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT PRO | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist

If you or anyone were respectfully candid as you are here - I would have zero qualms being accommodative. Its just hard to be empathic if someone starts off combative.
Old Sep 22, 22, 11:13 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by AAdamE View Post
Correct. According to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology

"The bottom line is that flying with a peanut allergy and being exposed to potential sources of peanut in the cabin is not likely to represent an increased risk to the peanut allergic flier. There is no evidence to support peanut vapor as a cause of reactions or that peanut dust itself circulates and causes reactions."
yeah but what would they know? /s

this is in part why the misinformation has to be countered. People have heard this but youll die if someone 30 rows back on the plane opens a bag of nuts so many times that they now have medical sequelae to an entirely non-existent thing. Its literally mass hysteria. It has to be called out literally every time it is brought up. Ideally thered be mass advertising and a rollback of any existing nut free airline policies but Im a realist and know that wont happen
jordyn, TommyD2, wrp96 and 6 others like this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 12:10 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nancypants View Post
yeah but what would they know? /s

this is in part why the misinformation has to be countered. People have heard this but youll die if someone 30 rows back on the plane opens a bag of nuts so many times that they now have medical sequelae to an entirely non-existent thing. Its literally mass hysteria. It has to be called out literally every time it is brought up. Ideally thered be mass advertising and a rollback of any existing nut free airline policies but Im a realist and know that wont happen
I think education is part of the solution. However think of it like a fear of flying.. There are people that are terrified of flying.. They might need meds or alcohol to help. Even though that person knows flying is the safest form of travel, and even though they've watched the YouTube videos from pilots explaining all the accelerations and sounds they may feel and hear, anxiety still rears its ugly head. I still sometimes get shortness of breath or a pounding heart when there are open air nuts near me, even though I know that they can't harm me.

I dont know what the solution is for closed spaces like planes and allergies. The population with allergies is so small that it doesn't make sense to make airline wide bans, but it does kinda suck if you have the allergy and get anxiety from airborne smell which most do.
corky, wrp96 and northinsouth like this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SE, Marriott Silver, Omni Select Plat
Good for American for not agreeing to this insane request.

I was unaware of the science so when on a BA flight (easter time), I was asked not to open my bag of trail mix by an FA, I complied.
Old Sep 23, 22, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K, *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Well it's breakfast time here and reading this has made me feel like a handful of nuts (!) so I am off to raid the salted peanuts right now!
Old Sep 23, 22, 3:38 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by SJOGuy View Post
These are options in domestic F? Yummy!
Those are definitely options, they're fairly tasty, and usually have more food than the standard meals.

YMMV on whether catering actually loads them. My success rate is 33% this year...
SJOGuy and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 4:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Had I been there I would have asked if there was enough for seconds.
Auto Enthusiast and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan View Post
Those are definitely options, they're fairly tasty, and usually have more food than the standard meals.

YMMV on whether catering actually loads them. My success rate is 33% this year...
Another data point.... Flew PHX to IND a few weeks ago in F... Requested a kosher meal. Second time ive done that and same experience both times. Interesting multi part meals. More than enough food.

Search this Thread