Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Passenger with nut allergy wants FC flyers to forego dinner

Passenger with nut allergy wants FC flyers to forego dinner

Old Sep 22, 22, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
There are no peanuts in the AA nut mix, and I doubt there was anything in on any of the meal trays that would have triggered a peanut allergy. Aren't most nut allergies specific to peanuts?

What was for dinner? And I'm also curious. Was there a postprandial medical diversion?
dw and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by OskiBear View Post
I did a quick search online and for what it's worth, it seems AA is actually the least accommodating airline when it comes to peanut allergies. It's basically, "we don't do anything, and we won't do anything" to accommodate your allergy.

She chose poorly.
Because its impossible to make a plane an allergy free zone,

You could have a kid 3 days before eating a packet of nuts and they wipe their hands on the seat, the armrest, tray table, even under the seat and in the seat pocket and so on and its impossible to clean every single area that thoroughly.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...-allergies.jsp

We cant accommodate requests to not serve certain foods or to provide nut buffer zones. Our planes are cleaned regularly, but cant guarantee the removal of nut allergens on surfaces or in the air filters. Because of this, we cant guarantee you wont be exposed to peanuts or other tree nuts during flight, and we strongly encourage those with allergies to take all necessary medical precautions before flying.
wrp96, Antarius, oopl and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Dinner on the flight was Cajun Chicken Salad (described by the FA as Chicken Cobb salad, so maybe the menu changed) and a fruit and cheese plate. Both cold entrees.
I ordered Hindu and wife ordered Asian vegetarian. Hindu was a hot chicken curry (best meal I have had on a domestic flight in ages) and wife's meal was also served hot. It's definitely a good idea to order a special meal if you want a hot meal on the BOS to MIA route.
My wife and my dessert was a Walnut Baklava. Delicious but a little nutty.
Old Sep 22, 22, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
There are no peanuts in the AA nut mix, and I doubt there was anything in on any of the meal trays that would have triggered a peanut allergy. Aren't most nut allergies specific to peanuts?
She said she was allergic to ALL nuts.
Old Sep 22, 22, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by dickinson View Post

Fixed it for you. 😁

I mean you've got tree nuts, ground nuts, animal, and human nuts, surely it cant be all of them....
renila, dls25, sxpsxpsxp and 27 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:21 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by DataPlumber View Post
Fixed it for you. 😁

I mean you've got tree nuts, ground nuts, animal, and human nuts, surely it cant be all of them....
I'd have been tempted to tell her to go get herself some chin nuts, to paraphrase an old naughty joke.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Dinner on the flight was Cajun Chicken Salad (described by the FA as Chicken Cobb salad, so maybe the menu changed) and a fruit and cheese plate. Both cold entrees.
I ordered Hindu and wife ordered Asian vegetarian. Hindu was a hot chicken curry (best meal I have had on a domestic flight in ages) and wife's meal was also served hot. It's definitely a good idea to order a special meal if you want a hot meal on the BOS to MIA route.
My wife and my dessert was a Walnut Baklava. Delicious but a little nutty.
This answered my open decision on what to order in a couple of weeks from now given that I did a SDFC a week ago on the same flight and lost my pre-ordered Hindu meal.

I was on a string of BA flights this summer where nuts werent served due to someone on board with a severe nut allergy. I figured that it was a good cover for a service enhancement

Glad to hear that this person was okay.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:27 pm
THR

Uh oh, walnut baklava...
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:29 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Repeated studies have shown that the myth of airborne peanut dust is exactly that. Even in severe cases, they're likelier to touch something that was left behind on the seat and then a mucus membrane.

Some random person in F eating something that may have been in facility that comes in contact with peanuts will not do anything to this person.
​​​​​
​​​​​All I can say to these people is - Trust the science, skip the hype.

If someone next to me had a peanut allergy and asked me to not eat peanuts, I'd gladly oblige. It's in close enough proximity that if it makes them feel better (and if I drop one) I have no problem not eating it. But someone 5 rows back, yea not so much.
i work at least part time in this field and had a post on a very breathless IBB removed for medical misinformation because I pointed this exact fact out. This has repeatedly been proven to be a non-issue and persistently distracts from the actual potential issue and solution, which is that nut protein can remain on hard aircraft surfaces for some time, client/family should be encouraged to pre board and wipe down surfaces etc
PresRDC, BERGBRLY, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT PRO | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul View Post
Frankly that's nuts.

you win the internet today
UAPremierExec and jhalapin like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT PRO | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
1. No 2. Sounds like someone didn't contact the airline in advance 3. I wish I was there, I would have asked her why those in F that paid or earned the right to be there should be punished? As others have mentioned, perhaps she could have relocated to coach where there absolutely have never served nuts.
PUCCI GALORE and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Repeated studies have shown that the myth of airborne peanut dust is exactly that. Even in severe cases, they're likelier to touch something that was left behind on the seat and then a mucus membrane.

Some random person in F eating something that may have been in facility that comes in contact with peanuts will not do anything to this person.
​​​​​
​​​​​All I can say to these people is - Trust the science, skip the hype.

If someone next to me had a peanut allergy and asked me to not eat peanuts, I'd gladly oblige. It's in close enough proximity that if it makes them feel better (and if I drop one) I have no problem not eating it. But someone 5 rows back, yea not so much.
Correct. According to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology

"The bottom line is that flying with a peanut allergy and being exposed to potential sources of peanut in the cabin is not likely to represent an increased risk to the peanut allergic flier. There is no evidence to support peanut vapor as a cause of reactions or that peanut dust itself circulates and causes reactions."
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:49 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I'm also sympathetic to allergies, but she should wear an N95 while everyone eats dinner.
seawolf, dw, PresRDC and 12 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 8:02 pm

So she's allergic to herself?
Old Sep 22, 22, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DataPlumber View Post
Fixed it for you. 😁

Deez nuts....

I'll see myself out.

Search this Thread