Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

For those who complain about the Admirals Club [JFK T5 rant]

Old Sep 22, 22, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD

I dare you to go spend some quality time in the JetBlue terminal at JFK! Massive crowds. Mostly indifferent staff (with exceptions, of course); the line at the help desk stretches down the hall. And restaurants selling airport quality (in other words, not particularly good) food and drink at absurd prices.
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
I dare you to go spend some quality time in the JetBlue terminal at JFK! Massive crowds. Mostly indifferent staff (with exceptions, of course); the line at the help desk stretches down the hall. And restaurants selling airport quality (in other words, not particularly good) food and drink at absurd prices.
There is reality and then there is online land (bloggers, social media, forums, etc.)

Next thing people will discover is DL hast been all that for 3 or 4 years.
eddiehuang97 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Really this is many airports. Has the OP been to MIA, AUS, LAX T4, PHL? The difference is that I'm paying to enter an AC to get away from what many airports have become. If I wanted crowds, people yelling at the top of their lungs, bathrooms with lines to use the stall and stalls that look like something out of a rock concert, etc. I'd just stay in the terminal and save my money.
ryanbriar and Hoi polloi like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EXP100 View Post
Really this is many airports. Has the OP been to MIA, AUS, LAX T4, PHL? The difference is that I'm paying to enter an AC to get away from what many airports have become. If I wanted crowds, people yelling at the top of their lungs, bathrooms with lines to use the stall and stalls that look like something out of a rock concert, etc. I'd just stay in the terminal and save my money.
Ive been to them all. But I have lounge access at all of them so am indifferent to what the commoners experience. At B6 at JFK one has no choice.

And all joking aside, this is worse than Ive experienced at other US airports (and most international ones).

Last edited by Microwave; Sep 23, 22 at 4:18 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Old Sep 22, 22, 1:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EXP100 View Post
If I wanted crowds, people yelling at the top of their lungs, bathrooms with lines to use the stall and stalls that look like something out of a rock concert, etc. I'd just stay in the terminal and save my money.
Truth. And, honestly, the crowds would be a little easier to deal with if they just fixed the other issues.
Old Sep 22, 22, 3:46 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
there's a bus behind security that runs between t5 and t8. You can use the AC in T8 and take the bus to T5
GaryZ and madmanshoney like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA Plt Pro/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by donotblink View Post
there's a bus behind security that runs between t5 and t8. You can use the AC in T8 and take the bus to T5
So if originating in NYC you have to bust it out to the T8 outer concourse and then bus it to T5? Id rather pay $27 for a beer near my departure gate (or whatever the going rate is )
rkaradi and ryanbriar like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Completely agree - T5 is an awful experience at all times of the day. The best food is probably the jar farmers fridge vending machines. T1 is also awful.

T8 is objectively nice and a pleasure to fly from (except when you are late for a flight and it’s at the west corner of the outer concourse and most of the moving walkways are out of service.)
ryanbriar and Fluhalp like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Ha. Try flying B6 out of EWR. Then you can title your post "For those who complain about the B6 terminal at JFK". Same as you described above, but even more crowded, and with a Dickensian security screening process as a bonus.
Old Sep 22, 22, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by donotblink View Post
Tried that, but was told you had to have a T8 boarding pass to ride the bus. I figured I couldve bullsh*tted my way past that, but didnt feel like challenging the minimum wage worker who was trying to enforce what she thought was the rule.
Old Sep 22, 22, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Tried that, but was told you had to have a T8 boarding pass to ride the bus. I figured I couldve bullsh*tted my way past that, but didnt feel like challenging the minimum wage worker who was trying to enforce what she thought was the rule.
Please let me get on this bus so I can enjoy the house white wine and then return a short while later. Jokes aside, this is why B6 is a fundamentally different airline no club network, limited elite recognition etc when things go sideways. Those are two reasons why Ive avoided flying them during this alliance. Its nice to be able to now hit the AC before a B6 flight in Boston, but not enough to move the needle.

Originally Posted by lrdpenn View Post
Completely agree - T5 is an awful experience at all times of the day. The best food is probably the jar farmers fridge vending machines. T1 is also awful.

T8 is objectively nice and a pleasure to fly from (except when you are late for a flight and its at the west corner of the outer concourse and most of the moving walkways are out of service.)
T1 is next level / on par with the old Penn Station Amtrak waiting room. Anyone who thought the former LGA central terminal was the worst terminal around needs to make a visit during the European departures window.

AA needs to work with the PANYNJ to fix those moving walkways - it can become quite the trek. Otherwise Im a big fan of T8 (and thats a minor thing anyway).
Fluhalp likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
You can clear security in T8 (which is a WAY better experience than the nightmare T5) then take the bus from T8 -> T5. Sadly I actually did this once last year when the security line in T5 was crazy long and no precheck lane was open. You could even use the little AC next to the FL, no need to go to the outer concourse.
Of course if your B6 flight is significantly delayed (common) you can't ride the bus to T8 to ride out the delay in the AC.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
You can clear security in T8 (which is a WAY better experience than the nightmare T5) then take the bus from T8 -> T5. Sadly I actually did this once last year when the security line in T5 was crazy long and no precheck lane was open. You could even use the little AC next to the FL, no need to go to the outer concourse.
Of course if your B6 flight is significantly delayed (common) you can't ride the bus to T8 to ride out the delay in the AC.
The one time I had to depart from the B6 terminal I used the Amex Centurion Lounge in T4.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by vasantn View Post
The one time I had to depart from the B6 terminal I used the Amex Centurion Lounge in T4.
Im assuming you left T4, AirTrained to T5?
vasantn likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This was the first time I actually was connecting in T5. Actually I flew MSY-JFK expecting to stay in NYC, but in route learned I needed to be in Boston so booked JFK-BOS. When originating at JFK, I go straight to T5 if flying B6. I dont arrive early enough to require a lounge, and even though T5 security appears nightmarish, Ive never had an issue with the pre-check there.
ryanbriar likes this.

Search this Thread