Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

For those who complain about the Admirals Club [JFK T5 rant]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

For those who complain about the Admirals Club [JFK T5 rant]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:07 am

Two weeks ago, I had a four hour layover at T5, so I left the terminal and relaxed at the TWA Hotel's Constellation bar. Yes, the drinks were expensive, but the vibe was a lot mellower than it would have been in the terminal.
adambrau likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:34 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
It’s nice to be able to now hit the AC before a B6 flight in Boston, but not enough to move the needle.
I was going to give you a hard time about going outside security to do this, but then found out that the B to C airside connector opened recently!

It's about a mile of walking from the Admiral's club to C17, but not a bad way to spend a long delay.

Old Sep 23, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
”Please let me get on this bus so I can enjoy the house white wine and then return a short while later”. Jokes aside, this is why B6 is a fundamentally different airline — no club network, limited elite recognition etc when things go sideways. Those are two reasons why I’ve avoided flying them during this alliance. It’s nice to be able to now hit the AC before a B6 flight in Boston, but not enough to move the needle.

T1 is next level / on par with the old Penn Station Amtrak waiting room. Anyone who thought the former LGA central terminal was the worst terminal around needs to make a visit during the European departures window.

AA needs to work with the PANYNJ to fix those moving walkways - it can become quite the trek. Otherwise I’m a big fan of T8 (and that’s a minor thing anyway).
T1 is the worst terminal at JFK. I work there 5 days a week so I can attest to this, PANYNJ is promising us a beautiful new terminal by 2026, so there is distant light at the end of the tunnel. And at least we have lounges.

https://www.anewjfk.com/m-w-lbe-sdvob-i ... dbreaking/
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 9:58 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
T1 is next level / on par with the old Penn Station Amtrak waiting room. Anyone who thought the former LGA central terminal was the worst terminal around needs to make a visit during the European departures window..
I have flown LH from JFK T1. Absolute madhouse. Still, the building didn't leak on me like the old LGA B

Definitely good that T1 is getting rebuilt though. It needs it.

(of course, the shining star of the old LGA Terminal B, even with the leaks and lack of space and with Auntie Anne's being the upscale dining choice past security....was the fact that the old LGA B was so very convenient curb to gate and vice versa)
njvandy likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 11:05 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ty97
I have flown LH from JFK T1. Absolute madhouse. Still, the building didn't leak on me like the old LGA B

Definitely good that T1 is getting rebuilt though. It needs it.

(of course, the shining star of the old LGA Terminal B, even with the leaks and lack of space and with Auntie Anne's being the upscale dining choice past security....was the fact that the old LGA B was so very convenient curb to gate and vice versa)
Yup, can't tell you how many times I arrived at curbside 45 min before departure and made it through security and to the gate before boarding even started. It was super convenient.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by upinsmoke
I was going to give you a hard time about going outside security to do this, but then found out that the B to C airside connector opened recently!

It's about a mile of walking from the Admiral's club to C17, but not a bad way to spend a long delay.

https://twitter.com/BostonLogan/stat...08850655854592
Yes! I walked it a few weeks ago to validate that what someone posted / was on Reddit was accurate. Here. I was surprised that Massport didn’t release anything, but I should have thought to check Twitter.

Depending on timing, I may make the daring attempt of accessing the BA lounge ahead of an AA flight in a couple of weeks. Fully expecting massive pushback.

Originally Posted by S.R
Yup, can't tell you how many times I arrived at curbside 45 min before departure and made it through security and to the gate before boarding even started. It was super convenient.

The new set up is brutal for curb to gate, though Delta’s new terminal is worse.
upinsmoke likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I’m assuming you left T4, AirTrained to T5?
Yup.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 6:51 pm

JetBlue is a discount airline that runs a lot of flights out of T5. The downside is crowds, the upside is cheaper fares with a lot of flight options. It is a busy terminal but a pretty quick walk once through security to any gate. T8 isnt that crowded because AA isnt utilizing it to its capacity.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by S.R
I can't tell you how many times I arrived 20-25 minutes before departure and still managed to just make it. 100% would NOT recommend anymore.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by DMPHL
I can't tell you how many times I arrived 20-25 minutes before departure and still managed to just make it. 100% would NOT recommend anymore.
Yeah this is airport feature #1 and we definitely went backward. I remember even when the Precheck lines were like 25 people deep weekday mornings, you'd hardly even break your stride. IMO the new arrivals flow, which feels like walking in circles, is even worse than departures.

One claimed benefit (which I would sacrifice 5 mins of walking for) was the new design would decrease taxiway congestion which presumably would translate into shorter block times and fewer delays. I don't think we can conclusively say either way but feels the same for me.

Yes it is visually nicer & more spacious and has the FOUNTAIN
njvandy, DMPHL and ryanbriar like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Home is currently DCA and it used to be LGA. I HATE what they've done to both. There is just a fundamental disconnect between what I (and I suspect many frequent travelers) want in an airport.

I don't care about fountains, or shopping, or even dining options. I want to minimize the amount of time and steps I have to spend before and after the flight. Give me an AC to wait out delays and help with IRROPs and I'm happy.

The old LGA was magnificent! From wheels down, I could be in a cab headed towards Manhattan in less than 10 minutes (my record was 7). I couldn't care less if the ceiling was leaking as I walk past the Auntie Anne's. These days it feels like you're walking through half of Queens.

DCA is much better but it still adds time before departure to go all the way downstairs to security.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 5:17 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by njvandy

DCA is much better but it still adds time before departure to go all the way downstairs to security.
Completely agree with your post, however I don’t find new DCA to be that much different when arriving by Metro with no checked luggage. Last week my phone buzzed with the boarding notification as I was leaving the Metro and (with PreCheck/Clear) I still got to the gate with plenty of time to spare. I do find it much less convenient when checking bags but with no bags I still aim to arrive 35 or so mins before departure.

On the other hand the LGA situation drives me nuts. So much wasted time and walking compared to the old days. The only good thing I have to say about it is the new Admirals Club is beautiful.
donotblink likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 8:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I've worked with several airport authorities in the US and they've all determined that their airport should be a mall. They're under pressure to "produce profit." Hence the build out of shops and other facilities that the FF has little need for. They've also will never say no to how many flights an airline wants to jam into their concourses/terminals.
vasantn and ryanbriar like this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by njvandy
Home is currently DCA and it used to be LGA. I HATE what they've done to both. There is just a fundamental disconnect between what I (and I suspect many frequent travelers) want in an airport.

I don't care about fountains, or shopping, or even dining options. I want to minimize the amount of time and steps I have to spend before and after the flight. Give me an AC to wait out delays and help with IRROPs and I'm happy.

The old LGA was magnificent! From wheels down, I could be in a cab headed towards Manhattan in less than 10 minutes (my record was 7). I couldn't care less if the ceiling was leaking as I walk past the Auntie Anne's. These days it feels like you're walking through half of Queens.

Haha, nothing is worse than the walk at the new SLC. You better have 20 minutes to get from the gate to the rental car counter.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by River in Sight
The only good thing I have to say about it is the new Admirals Club is beautiful.
It feels small to me, and some of the corridors are too narrow eg between the bar and the coffee station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.