Unusual nonstops on AA?

Old Sep 22, 22, 9:57 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, United Premier Gold
I didn’t think BOS-YHZ was that odd considering that there is competition on the route from AC. (Even WS flew the route seasonally at one point)
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:04 am
Original Member

We ended up rerouted onto that AC flight...DH8 which wasn't awful.
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:11 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Diamond, peasant elsewhere
I've always found that MDT-BOS flight interesting - I used to live north of MDT and frequently traveled to Massachusetts and Maine. It's a pretty long and annoying drive, and I think Harrisburg is just far enough that a flight makes sense over driving or Amtrak. The fares were always sky-high when I checked them (pre-Covid), so clearly the demand was there for business travel.

Last edited by ssb2045; Sep 22, 22 at 10:12 am Reason: clarity
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
They still fly RDU-LHR....lots of BioTech and Pharma in the Triangle fund this route. They also fly SEA-LHR and probably get some feeder traffic from the tie-up with Alaska.
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro/2MM, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by ssb2045 View Post
I've always found that MDT-BOS flight interesting - I used to live north of MDT and frequently traveled to Massachusetts and Maine. It's a pretty long and annoying drive, and I think Harrisburg is just far enough that a flight makes sense over driving or Amtrak. The fares were always sky-high when I checked them (pre-Covid), so clearly the demand was there for business travel.
A lot of these odd Northeast point to point routes that US operated had ridiculously high fares. I used to fly BOS-BUF for work in the mid-00s and fares on the US nonstop were often around $700 r/t. Then B6 started flying the route and fares dropped more than half. It has to be business demand since the routes are short enough that at those fares driving makes a lot more sense.
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by platbrownguy View Post
Don't forget BOS-YHZ, Saturdays June through October. Will fly that one of these days just for the novelty.
BOS-YHZ used to be at least daily (I think it was multiple daily flights, especially in peak season). The BOS-YHZ route was inherited by American Eagle when it acquired Business Express. Remember that BOS was at one time a decent sized hub for Eagle. I flew BOS-YHZ back in the Saab days after Business Express was folded into Eagle.

Originally Posted by brenc3 View Post
A lot of these odd Northeast point to point routes that US operated had ridiculously high fares. I used to fly BOS-BUF for work in the mid-00s and fares on the US nonstop were often around $700 r/t. Then B6 started flying the route and fares dropped more than half. It has to be business demand since the routes are short enough that at those fares driving makes a lot more sense.
Way WAY back when, pmpmUS (that's pre-HP-merger Unfortunately Still Allegheny In Reality. Why Alter Your Signs?) was the one major that actually had a consistent domestic yield premium versus AA.

Charging extremely high fares on a lot of very short flights from BOS/PHL/PIT is a great way to produce staggeringly high unadjusted yields. Of course, stage length adjusting changes the conclusion a bit.
platbrownguy likes this.

Last edited by Herb687; Sep 22, 22 at 11:01 am Reason: pmpmUS yield premium
Old Sep 22, 22, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by diburning View Post
AA has some really odd nonhub routes out of BOS (all regional)

And seasonally:
BOS-TVC
The others sort of made sense from a vacation/beach/tourist sort of point of view, but seriously, Traverse City, MI??? Can someone explain that one? Does it have to do with ship crews or something like that?

saunders111
Old Sep 22, 22, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro; AS MVP Gold, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by saunders111 View Post
The others sort of made sense from a vacation/beach/tourist sort of point of view, but seriously, Traverse City, MI??? Can someone explain that one? Does it have to do with ship crews or something like that?

saunders111
Apparently Traverse City is a tourist destination of some kind.
Old Sep 22, 22, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by nineworldseries View Post
Apparently Traverse City is a tourist destination of some kind.
More likely Mackinac Island, I expect. The Island's Grand Hotel was featured in the movie, "Somewhere in Time."

https://www.grandhotel.com/#
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 1:09 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
BOS-ILM makes a lot of sense for Boston startups incorporating in Delaware
Old Sep 22, 22, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA PPro 1MM, WOH Explorist
Originally Posted by AMflier View Post
ILM is Wilmington, North Carolina! Delaware is the only U.S. state without a commercial airport offering regularly scheduled flights!
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by AMflier View Post
If only ILM were in Delaware! (It's in North Carolina.)
Old Sep 22, 22, 3:41 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, United Premier Gold
Originally Posted by brenc3 View Post
I flew BOS-BUF roundtrip once on JetBlue for $97!
Old Sep 22, 22, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
I was going to mention some of the BOS routes, but I view BOS as a focus city on par with Austin (not a hub, but not insignificant).

In addition to whats been listed, theres SYR, ROC, IND, YYZ, CUN, MBJ, Punta Cana (all Saturdays) and probably a few others Im missing.

Ive done the MDT flight once (versus connecting in PHL to UNV) and will be on the SYR flight next week. Those late day 145 flights seem to habitually delayed, but still better than driving on I-90 for several hours.
Old Sep 23, 22, 6:42 am

Programs: AA PPro 1MM, WOH Explorist
BNA-MCO
BNA-RDU
BNA-TPA
RDU-TPA
RDU-PIT
RDA-CVG (begins next year)

There are also a whole bunch of random seasonal routes to CUN including CMH, IND, MCI, RDU, STL
ernestnywang likes this.

Search this Thread