Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New Flagship Suites coming to 77W, 789 & 321XLR; 3-class F and 321T sub-fleet to go

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Flagship Suites coming to 77W, 789 & 321XLR; 3-class F and 321T sub-fleet to go

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2022, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM

New flagship suites coming in 2024 to 77W, 789 and the 321XLR.

77W F will go away

321T fleet will be eliminated

Per:

Old Sep 20, 2022, 7:39 am

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Press release is here.

Edited with some of my comments

A lot of content, but the key points I saw that were not in the summary bullets:
  • New deliveries starting in 2024 will get the suites. 20 on the XLR and 51 on the 789
  • Lie flats will remain on JFK/BOS transcon flights (with the XLR or other lie-flat non-modified planes?). No mention of MIA-LAX. I can’t imagine they will be able to solely rely on the XLR given fleet size at the onset and in some cases may be hamstrung by 20 lie flats.
  • Retrofitting the 77W (70 suites) and 321Ts to commence in late 2024. The 321T will become yet another 321.
  • Based on this, F to be eliminated at some point in 2025 / 2026 unless they make a decision to stop offering it as soon as the retrofits begin. Too bad.
  • No mention of retrofitting the 772, 788 and already-delivered 789s. My guess is that they will want to see how the process unfolds with the 77W and / or create a difference between flagship suites and flagship business.
wrp96 and rt23456p like this.

Last edited by ryanbriar; Sep 20, 2022 at 8:12 am
Old Sep 20, 2022, 7:43 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Looks like they’re using the same product on the 789s that QR uses for their “business suite” 789 product. For me, this is pretty disappointing. I’ve flown this product a few times and while it has a ton of bells and whistles, the seat is really tight (especially around the shoulders) and the foot box is pretty small. I’d take the super diamond and definitely the current 77W J product over this (let alone Apex or qsuites). So unless AA does some serious customization to this, to me it’s kinda a downgrade.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 7:45 am

Part of me is sad to see F go but I don't really know why, lol. Guess it's just the end of an era.

Obviously we don't really know much yet, but is it speculated that they plan on using the XLR's much domestically or are they basically just going to do east coast TATL flights?

Edit: Actually, reading between the lines of the press release, guessing they'll use them on transcons as well.
rt23456p likes this.

Last edited by LlamaJesus; Sep 20, 2022 at 7:56 am
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I just don't get the current trend of a door on the J seats. What's the point? Anyone standing up can simply look over them. If you are sitting down, you're usually reclined enough except for maybe takeoff/landing to not be able to see or be seen unless you sit up and make an effort.

Just seems like another useless trend to me.
beachfan, carlosdca, m.y and 10 others like this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:05 am

Programs: AA, Marriott
American will also retrofit its Airbus A321T fleet to align those 16 aircraft with the rest of its A321 fleet. American will continue to offer lie-flat seats on its transcontinental routes departing New York and Boston along with its Northeast Alliance partner, JetBlue Airways, providing travelers with a premium experience and the opportunity to arrive refreshed after a cross country flight.
Sad to see the transcon fleet go; guess my username is vintage now.

Even if there are more J seats in the new planes they put on the route, this was the last place you could consistently get a reasonable seat and IFE even in Main Cabin.

Hope they don’t cede all premium transcon flying to B6, or if they do, hope they figure out Mint upgrades. 😛
renila, Arsey00 and keyw like this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Redesigned lounges to me means no more FFD...
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by A321T
Sad to see the transcon fleet go; guess my username is vintage now.

Even if there are more J seats in the new planes they put on the route, this was the last place you could consistently get a reasonable seat and IFE even in Main Cabin.

Hope they don’t cede all premium transcon flying to B6, or if they do, hope they figure out Mint upgrades. 😛
You can just become A321XLR though having a vintage handle is neat!

Lie-flat will remain on the premium transcon routes,AA just won't rely on a specific dedicated sub-fleet for that purpose any longer. This is (probably) better from an operations and utilization standpoint.
renila, wrp96, LovePrunes and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United 1K, Delta Platinum ,Hilton Diamond, Mariott Gold
I find the color scheme interesting. They seem to be moving away from the grey on grey. Even in Y the seats are light blue now.
Antarius and Arsey00 like this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:29 am

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by ty97
You can just become A321XLR though having a vintage handle is neat!

Lie-flat will remain on the premium transcon routes,AA just won't rely on a specific dedicated sub-fleet for that purpose any longer. This is (probably) better from an operations and utilization standpoint.
At least at the beginning, I don’t see how they will be able to 100% rely on a full-suites offering for the Tcon routes. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see flagship business and flagship suites used to kick this off given they will have 50 XLRs in total when fully ramped.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Personally (I'm 6' 1"), the Business seat looks a little tighter than the super diamond. The PE seat looks like a shell. Looks more upscale but could be less comfortable?

The XLR, looks like it'll be a nice ride in Business and PE to Europe. Wish it had slightly more PE seats but 20 & 12 kinda makes sense overall, though maybe not for a few routes (SNN, LIS). New color scheme is nice.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by airb330
Personally (I'm 6' 1"), the Business seat looks a little tighter than the super diamond. The PE seat looks like a shell. Looks more upscale but could be less comfortable?

The XLR, looks like it'll be a nice ride in Business and PE to Europe. Wish it had slightly more PE seats but 20 & 12 kinda makes sense overall, though maybe not for a few routes (SNN, LIS). New color scheme is nice.
Im 5’ 10” and have size 11 feet and this product was really tight for me and pretty uncomfortable so much so I couldnt sleep on the few segments I’ve flown this product. So I’m assuming it will be pretty rough for you as well. It is def tighter than the super diamond, a product I’ve been easily able to sleep on.
Arsey00 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by fender5787
Im 5’ 10” and have size 11 feet and this product was really tight for me and pretty uncomfortable so much so I couldnt sleep on the few segments I’ve flown this product. So I’m assuming it will be pretty rough for you as well. It is def tighter than the super diamond, a product I’ve been easily able to sleep on.
Ugh, oh well. If I am paying, I'm going PE most likely. Long gone are the days of Advantage redemption in business. I really enjoy the Super Diamond product and shockingly enjoyed Polaris as well. Concept D and the old Continental/UA Diamond seats were never my favorites.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Those PE seats look so uncomfortable. Wow so thin.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Originally Posted by enviroian
Those PE seats look so uncomfortable. Wow so thin.
its the same seats delta uses as first class class on their NEOs, and let me assure you, they are more comfortable than anything AA has in their domestic fleet. Everyone had their doubts about it too when Delta first announced the seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.