Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New Flagship Suites coming to 77W, 789 & 321XLR; 3-class F and 321T sub-fleet to go

New Flagship Suites coming to 77W, 789 & 321XLR; 3-class F and 321T sub-fleet to go

Old Sep 23, 22, 7:26 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
I am curious to see how this new Flagship Suite percolates through the fleet, and the knock on effects of rationalization....
  • 777-200 fleet is LONG in the tooth, anywhere from a 1999 fleet entry to 2006.... I think the average age is like 19 years old. And most frames have a J product that was installed in the last 5 years. Is AA planning to ride these frames into the sunset with the current J product? I don't see them doing a J overhaul with not a lot of time left on the useful lifespan of that fleet.
  • Which begs the question.... is the 787-8 + 787-9 fleet supposed to be THE replacement for 777-200's.... 47 772's on hand, and 40 787's between the two variants on order at present, mostly the larger 787-9 which is the closest seat count to 772.
  • I could see AA picking up some used 77W's to supplement that fleet and boost their cargo abilities as well as have enough premium capacity on select routes.
  • But then again, the A321XLR is supposed to be the long-thin INTL route swiss-army-knife..... Are they thinking that frame will pickup the INTL slack where 772's were previously underutilized? And then move the excess wide bodies to routes where the cargo is profitable?
A lot of moving parts in the years to come!
Old Sep 23, 22, 7:54 am
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by jtav559 View Post
I am curious to see how this new Flagship Suite percolates through the fleet, and the knock on effects of rationalization....
  • 777-200 fleet is LONG in the tooth, anywhere from a 1999 fleet entry to 2006.... I think the average age is like 19 years old. And most frames have a J product that was installed in the last 5 years. Is AA planning to ride these frames into the sunset with the current J product? I don't see them doing a J overhaul with not a lot of time left on the useful lifespan of that fleet.
This is a COVID era article, but probably still relevant in the bigger picture.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/willhor...h=371031be6424

Using the hindsight of regretting the hasty decision to dump the 757/767/330 fleets, I could see them taking a more phased approach like retiring the older 772s and refurb the remaining ones for another ~10 years of life. Or do what UA does and densify their seating for medium haul flights.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 9:24 am

Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PHL View Post
This is a COVID era article, but probably still relevant in the bigger picture.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/willhor...h=371031be6424

Using the hindsight of regretting the hasty decision to dump the 757/767/330 fleets, I could see them taking a more phased approach like retiring the older 772s and refurb the remaining ones for another ~10 years of life. Or do what UA does and densify their seating for medium haul flights.
I don't see AA refurbishing their 772s. By the time the current gen of seats ages out to need replacement and they start a refurb, frames will be 30 years old. Even their announcement explicitly calls out the 77Ws.

I wouldn't be surprised long term if they pick up some 78Js as replacements to some 772s. Still maintains fleet commonality, but gives them more flexibility between the 77W and the 789.

I get retiring the 767s and 757s, the former more so. The a330s was absolutely daft. AA is still paying for some of those a332s.

Search this Thread