Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New Flagship Suites coming to 77W, 789 & 321XLR; 3-class F and 321T sub-fleet to go

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Flagship Suites coming to 77W, 789 & 321XLR; 3-class F and 321T sub-fleet to go

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Bolding mine in both cases:

Originally Posted by anabolism
We wish. Qsuite is a terrific product, a contender for best business class in the sky. This is the Adient Ascent product, which QR uses on their 789 as Business Suite. It's awful. Cramped, no storage, with walls and door too low to provide any privacy. It looks like a Qsuite in photos, but in reality is nothing like Qsuite.
AA's press-release says:

Flagship Suite® seats will offer customers a private premium experience with a privacy door, a chaise lounge seating option and more personal storage space.
Is it possible they've added more storage compared to what QR has? The pictures on AA's website show what appears to be a little storage locker to the right of the seat. I can't tell if there's more, though.
Antarius likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
It doesn't? You asked how much privacy one needs in J, and I replied "For a transcon, not much. For true long-haul, especially overnight flights where sleep is a priority, the more privacy the better" because more privacy means easier sleep for myself and many others (not everyone, of course, some people have not the slightest problem sleeping without any privacy).
The point that many of us are making is that the amount of privacy gained vs a reverse herringbone seat is negligible bordering on zero. The walls are just as easy to look over as they are now and you can't see anyone in a reverse herringbone anyways.

It's a brilliant piece of marketing like curved TVs. Everyone wanted one, but in reality it offered nothing materially better.

I agree that on longhaul having all aisle access makes a big difference, but feel that there isn't a privacy problem with the majority of the current gen products.
airb330 likes this.

Last edited by Antarius; Sep 22, 2022 at 9:05 am
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
What does "10 PP" mean?
On United, PP = Pluspoints. UA replaced their long-haul/premium upgrade instruments (the equivalent of AA's eVIP/SWU or DL's RUCs/GUCs) with a plus points system. Depending on the upgrade type (domestic vs long-haul international) and cabin request (Y-W, W-J, Y-J), a different number of points is required. UA Platinum members (equivalent to AA Plat Pro) get 40 PP. 1K member (equivalent to EXP) get 280 PP.

(UA still has free domestic F upgrades for elites like AA and DL, but plus points can be used to jump to the front of that queue as well)

MileagePlus Upgrades | Eligibility & Upgrade Types | United Airlines
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:12 am

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
What does "10 PP" mean?
10 Plus points. UA now awards points for upgrades, not the old certificates. I think 40 plus points is the equivalent of an AA SWU
Old Sep 22, 2022, 11:33 am

So I had asked earlier about the bulkhead/first row seats on the 789 having a more spacious and nicer suite, OMAAT is saying that's also likely...would def be a nicer experience. https://onemileatatime.com/news/new-...PuY2Bf3GniP_10

Also, something else I noticed is the "mini" economy section right behind PE on the 789...as well as the first two Y rows on the XLR looking a bit different with the headrest...I think AA might bring back some real MCE seats at least on the 789 the way it had them on the 77W before PE was introduced.

https://cdn.onemileatatime.com/wp-co...Economy-1.jpeg
Attached Images  
Old Sep 22, 2022, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
Bolding mine in both cases:

AA's press-release says:

Is it possible they've added more storage compared to what QR has? The pictures on AA's website show what appears to be a little storage locker to the right of the seat. I can't tell if there's more, though.
If so, it's definitely an improvement. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by ty97
On United, PP = Pluspoints. UA replaced their long-haul/premium upgrade instruments (the equivalent of AA's eVIP/SWU or DL's RUCs/GUCs) with a plus points system. Depending on the upgrade type (domestic vs long-haul international) and cabin request (Y-W, W-J, Y-J), a different number of points is required. UA Platinum members (equivalent to AA Plat Pro) get 40 PP. 1K member (equivalent to EXP) get 280 PP.

(UA still has free domestic F upgrades for elites like AA and DL, but plus points can be used to jump to the front of that queue as well)

MileagePlus Upgrades | Eligibility & Upgrade Types | United Airlines
Thank you for the details, I appreciate knowing a bit about other airlines.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
OK. My only experience with doored seats was on ANA, and that was on a 777 with a very wide cabin and 1-2-1 layout. I guess the door makes a bigger difference to comfort on smaller planes.
it sure does. I haven’t flown the DeltaOne Suite but word on the street was that the 777 product was great. Those were retired in COVID, now there’s the A350 which is supposedly still pretty good, and the A339neo which is reportedly more cramped. Now, I believe the 787 is a bit wider than the 339 but I assume these seats on the 789 won’t be fantastic but assuming they are getting a wider seat for the 77Ws (vs just wider aisles), those could well be quite good.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by ijgordon
it sure does. I haven’t flown the DeltaOne Suite but word on the street was that the 777 product was great. Those were retired in COVID, now there’s the A350 which is supposedly still pretty good, and the A339neo which is reportedly more cramped. Now, I believe the 787 is a bit wider than the 339 but I assume these seats on the 789 won’t be fantastic but assuming they are getting a wider seat for the 77Ws (vs just wider aisles), those could well be quite good.
I’ve flown the DL One suites in the 764 and A339 — they’re nice and didn’t feel very cramped me. Strikes the right balance of space and privacy. That said, I can definitely understand how someone could view it as a bit tight. Also lacks pockets and what not. The 764 felt like it had more room, but that was also MCO-ATL vs. BOS-CDG on the neo so it could have been because I spent more time in the swat.

Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
I’ve flown the DL One suites in the 764 and A339 — they’re nice and didn’t feel very cramped me. Strikes the right balance of space and privacy. That said, I can definitely understand how someone could view it as a bit tight. Also lacks pockets and what not. The 764 felt like it had more room, but that was also MCO-ATL vs. BOS-CDG on the neo so it could have been because I spent more time in the swat.

Flown this one too.
May main issue (and it was a big issue) was that the footwell is not designed for someone to bend his knees or be on their side.
My shins were always touching the roof of the footwell. Not good.
beachfan likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Flown this one too.
May main issue (and it was a big issue) was that the footwell is not designed for someone to bend his knees or be on their side.
My shins were always touching the roof of the footwell. Not good.
Yes, that is true. Now that you mentioned it and looking back at photos, it gets very narrow where the back of the seat in front comes in. I basically tried to sleep on my back or kind of curled up for that reason.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:11 pm

Aside from all discussions about the seats themselves, I’m just wondering why AA thinks they need 51 Business seats on 789 and 70 Business seats on 77W? Are they seriously confident that they are going to fill these seats?

On contrast, it’s JV partner, Japan Airlines, which provides far more consistently superior service (most of the time) than AA, has the least dense 789 and 77W fleet in the world, and their 195 seater 789 only has 44 business seats and the 236 seater 77W only has 8F 49J seats.

If AA wins anything now, it must be fitting the highest number of J seats in 77W and 789...and I can see how it can use this as the reason to say it’s a premium airline now. lol
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by doglynx
Aside from all discussions about the seats themselves, I’m just wondering why AA thinks they need 51 Business seats on 789 and 70 Business seats on 77W? Are they seriously confident that they are going to fill these seats?

On contrast, it’s JV partner, Japan Airlines, which provides far more consistently superior service (most of the time) than AA, has the least dense 789 and 77W fleet in the world, and their 195 seater 789 only has 44 business seats and the 236 seater 77W only has 8F 49J seats.

If AA wins anything now, it must be fitting the highest number of J seats in 77W and 789...and I can see how it can use this as the reason to say it’s a premium airline now. lol
Well their other JV partner BA actually has even more J seats on the 77W — their new configuration is 8F and 76J, and they think they can fill them and probably AA does as well (we can save the debate about whether BA is a premium airline or not for another day haha).

And while 51J on the 789 seems like a lot UA fits 48J on their 789 as well
Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Originally Posted by truncated
Well their other JV partner BA actually has even more J seats on the 77W — their new configuration is 8F and 76J, and they think they can fill them and probably AA does as well (we can save the debate about whether BA is a premium airline or not for another day haha).

And while 51J on the 789 seems like a lot UA fits 48J on their 789 as well
I'm flying AA80 (DFW-LHR) tonight, and business class is full, as is business and first class on AA78 (both 77W), so there's definitely some routes where AA is constrained by the number of premium seats they offer. The 77W fleet is pretty small and mostly limited to the ultra premium routes already anyways, so I do think this makes sense from AA.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 4:53 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by doglynx
ANA's 77W only has 212 seats...and business class comprises 64 or 68 seats, depending on configuration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.