Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New Flagship Suites coming to 77W, 789 & 321XLR; 3-class F and 321T sub-fleet to go

New Flagship Suites coming to 77W, 789 & 321XLR; 3-class F and 321T sub-fleet to go

Old Sep 21, 22, 5:42 am

The new Flagship Suite still cannot kick the feeling of a bee hive
Old Sep 21, 22, 6:03 am

Programs: AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by lightbulbs View Post
Weird how they are quiet on how they will fly the transcons. I could imagine a few wide bodies doing LAX-JFK but not BOS or SFO. So that leaves either XLRs on JFK-SFO or a reconfigured a321 with presumably the new suites designed for transcon (so swapping one sub fleet for another?). I wonder if they reconfigure a normal a321 non XLR with these new suites what they config will be (20 new J suite seat, no PE and MCE+Y? I wonder if they will mix the XLR and reconfigured a321 fleets or keep the XLR for thin Intl and just have a new dedicated sub fleet with lie flats for the transcon? The transcon upgrades might get hard if they lose 10 lie flats seats and a lot more Y seats
You articulated well what my concern is, how lie-flats and upgrade chances will work on non-JFK/LAX transcons.
  • I agree with you that a widebody isn't likely given how AA's struggled to fill the A321T, unless frequencies went down to like one flight a day, which would be a separate problem for the non-leisure transcons.
  • It doesn't sound like they're creating a new A321 transcon fleet given the language "American will also retrofit its Airbus A321T fleet to align those 16 aircraft with the rest of its A321 fleet" which I interpret as turning them into regular Oasis planes. Also AA seems very motivated to get rid of subfleets.
XLR feels like a waste on a transcon flight that a regular narrowbody can serve, and is designed to unlock long-range/thin destinations. But given the above I'd guess it is the new transcon plane. Then what I'll most miss is the A321T's 2-2 J config which made upgrades to a lie-flat possible:That's roughly the same number of lie-flat J seats but 1.5x the number of economy passengers fighting for the same number of upgrades.

On the plus side, you get a really nice seat if you do catch the upgrade. And the W 2-2 consolation prize is better than 3-3 MCE.

It sounds like my disappointment fits the ethos of the rest of this thread: I wish they weren't so motivated by doors and getting to a 1-1 config. For transcons, more lie flats and frequency is what I've cared about most. My dream narrowbody config is probably La Compagnie, with J in 2-2 with 32 Y/44 J but AA domestic upgrade rules.
Old Sep 21, 22, 6:08 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Ghoulish View Post
Doors certainly provide a greater degree of privacy, especially while laying down, as do moveable partitions between center seats.

As for "anyone can look over", I've never encountered that creepy behavior, but it would take a degree of effort that they'd come to regret, unless it was an FA.
Explain how that is needed. It's J on an airplane, not a changing room in a store. How much privacy do you really need and are you willing to give up other features/space to get it? Just doesn't make sense.
m.y, Arsey00 and MarkOK like this.
Old Sep 21, 22, 6:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I'm 6' 3" and the view of fellow passengers across the cabin is significantly hindered by the doors, sitting or standing, what are you, 6' 8" and flying a mystery carrier with clear doors?
Granted, I've not tried every seat on every AA widebody (or the transcons) in J, but in every seat I have had, I don't remember ever having a clear view of other passengers while sitting down unless I leaned way over (beyond the shell) and even then I would probably only see some knee action.
-------------
With 50 XLR orders, there is plenty of capacity to use these for the transcon routes -and- open new thin-long routes. I imagine AA will appreciate the flexibility of scheduling some aircraft to hop Europe->JFK/BOS->LAX/SFO (for example).
m.y, Antarius and Arsey00 like this.
Old Sep 21, 22, 7:00 am
Original Member

probably not due to cargo needs
Old Sep 21, 22, 9:38 am

Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Confort is an entirely different issue. I'm addressing the additional privacy offered.

I don't know what substandard seats with doors you're flying, but please, tell us, which doored configuration allows you an equally clear view of fellow passengers across that cabin equal to seats without them? ANA? Qatar? I think it'll be quite a revelation when you reveal which config allows you as clear a view at your fellow passengers that closed door cabins do. To claim there's no more privacy with doors is absurd on its face, despite the peanut gallery, many of whom are chiming in without apparently ever experiencing the product.

I'm 6' 3" and the view of fellow passengers across the cabin is significantly hindered by the doors, sitting or standing, what are you, 6' 8" and flying a mystery carrier with clear doors?
Debated replying given your rather impolite tone, but decided I should to clarify that I have indeed flown several doored products and am not "chiming in without apparently ever experiencing the product" (I wonder who would waste time doing this).

Having flown QR Qsuites many times and BA's new suite product, I still stand by my statement that the privacy element is marketing fluff. I can see exactly the same amount standing as I can in a reverse herringbone like CX or AA have. While seated, in the doored product, I see my door while in the reverse herringbone, I can see the back of the diagonal seat shell; neither situation grants me more real visibility than the other (still staring at fake airline composite fabric or plastic). I have not flown ANA's new config and cannot comment on it.
airb330, LovePrunes and Arsey00 like this.
Old Sep 21, 22, 9:52 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
How do we think transcon upgrades will work on the A321XLR between JFK or BOS and SFO and LAX? Will it still be possible to go from Y to J? Do we think they might change it up to only go Y -> PE?
Old Sep 21, 22, 10:13 am

Programs: AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by donotblink View Post
How do we think transcon upgrades will work on the A321XLR between JFK or BOS and SFO and LAX? Will it still be possible to go from Y to J? Do we think they might change it up to only go Y -> PE?
The best analog is Hawaii flights which have both PE and J. For that, upgrades still go from Y to J, and EXP just get PE for free if there are any left.
Old Sep 21, 22, 10:37 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA PLAT, DL GOLD, B6 MOSAIC, IHG PLAT FOR LIFE, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post
Hopefully AA PE pitch with these seats will be more generous than DL's tight domestic F pitch.
Now hear me out here, I'll take AA putting in Delta's tight domestic first pitch, IF it means we get these seats on the 737/A321 fleet! That alone would make me switch back to AA, as they already have a very good wide-body product, and their lounges are slowly becoming more and more premium. Once I see that I'll finally have to stop connecting any time I want to go anywhere from my current home base of Miami.
Old Sep 21, 22, 2:42 pm

The three things we can be certain of is AA's leading hard product, world class innovation, and the impeccable taste leaders it's uncompromising, Hawaiian shirt clad customer base are known to be.

Sought out as the carrier of choice by travelers the world over who are invariably disappointed to be stuck with a "useless door" on those skybuses offered by Qatar, Etihad, ANA, and the rest, one can only hope AA reads this forum, reverses course and retains it's leadership in the luxury segment. /s

Last edited by Ghoulish; Sep 21, 22 at 2:51 pm
Old Sep 21, 22, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Plat)
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground View Post
I agree - when I am in Qsuites I cannot see a single other person from my seat with the door closed. I am not sure how that is not more private than most seats.
Yes, the Qsuite provides good privacy. The Qsuite is an excellent product in multiple ways. However, the new AA seat is not a Qsuite; it is the Adient Ascent, which has very low walls and (at least in QR's 789 version) doors that do not close. No privacy, no storage, no space. An awful product.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 22, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Plat)
Originally Posted by bchandler02 View Post
Explain how that is needed. It's J on an airplane, not a changing room in a store. How much privacy do you really need and are you willing to give up other features/space to get it? Just doesn't make sense.
For a transcon, not much. For true long-haul, especially overnight flights where sleep is a priority, the more privacy the better. QR's Qsuite is an excellent product: it's roomy (one can stand up in one's suite), it has ample storage and surfaces, it has reasonable walls and a door that closes. It's a great J product. I prefer it to BA's F product. But AA is not installing the Qsuite product. They're installing the Adient Ascent, a miserable, cramped, crap product with no privacy, no storage, no space. It'll be fine on a transcon, but unpleasant on a long-haul. And this will be AA's top of the line product; no 77W F.
Arsey00 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 22, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by anabolism View Post
They're installing the Adient Ascent, a miserable, cramped, crap product with no privacy, no storage, no space.
Are you listening, AA?
cmd320 and Arsey00 like this.
Old Sep 21, 22, 3:56 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by donotblink View Post
Originally Posted by A321T View Post
The best analog is Hawaii flights which have both PE and J. For that, upgrades still go from Y to J, and EXP just get PE for free if there are any left.
I'm thinking the roll-out of PE in the premium transcon market will be accompanied by a review of the upgrade benefit/process for relevant routes that might not have been worth the effort when domestic PE was limited to select Hawaii/Alaska routings.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Sep 21, 22, 4:06 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
I don't understand all the controversy over the door. If you don't like it, don't use it. It doesn't take anything away from the seat. I recently flew in ANA's new J seat, and the door doesn't reduce space or have any other disadvantages.
LovePrunes and Ghoulish like this.

Search this Thread