Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

If you're a status member, your bag benefit applies if higher based on status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec

As the title says, all of the notes on Basic Economy restrictions state this:
"If you're an AAdvantage status member, your bag benefit applies if higher based on status."

Humbly, and I consider myself a bit of a linguist, this just doesn't comprehend to anything intelligible. "if higher based on status" in particular is confusing.

I think the intent of this is saying that even if you book Basic Economy, you can check bags for free? Anyways, considering buying Basic Economy for my family (3 total). Single PNR, all AA metal, and I have status. We will be checking bags, and I want to ensure I'm not going to get hosed when I show up at the airport.

Here's a screenshot

Confusing verbiage
Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:48 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Yes you should get the normal bag allowance you are used to based on your PPro Status. You also will get your MCE seats you are used to. The only real restriction for an elite is that the ticket is non-refundable and non-changable, so unless a schedule change happens you are stuck with what you booked.
Antarius, Kawliga and rt23456p like this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:49 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BrianV
As the title says, all of the notes on Basic Economy restrictions state this:
"If you're an AAdvantage status member, your bag benefit applies if higher based on status."

Humbly, and I consider myself a bit of a linguist, this just doesn't comprehend to anything intelligible. "if higher based on status" in particular is confusing.
If you have a higher bag benefit due to your status, that applies, not the standard BE baggage rules. The wording is clear to me (assuming my interpretation is correct of course).
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
MathMusic,
Thanks, that's what I was after. I never flew BE pre-pandemic because it really sucked. No MCE/seats, no EQM, etc. However, now it seems BE is just really pre-pandemic Economy Main, but you can't pay a change fee. Given how cheap these flights are, basically any pre-pandemic change fee would've cost the same as the ticket, so effectively no changes from old Economy Main for a status member. I was able to get MCE for all three of us!

Thanks!
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
If you have a higher bag benefit due to your status, that applies, not the standard BE baggage rules. The wording is clear to me (assuming my interpretation is correct of course).
I get what you're saying now, that makes sense. They should've worded it like you did. All "status" members have a bag benefit though, so it seems weird to even mention it. It still sounds really awkward and weird to me.
Antarius likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I get what you're saying now, that makes sense. They should've worded it like you did. All "status" members have a bag benefit though, so it seems weird to even mention it. It still sounds really awkward and weird to me.
I see what you're saying. Like most things AA, it could be better worded.
Antarius likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I agree that the choice is words is needlessly convoluted. BE has no checked bags, so a simple "Your AAdvantage status checked baggage allowance will apply" or something like that would be much clearer.
ksucats likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
I agree that the choice is words is needlessly convoluted. BE has no checked bags, so a simple "Your AAdvantage status checked baggage allowance will apply" or something like that would be much clearer.
Glad I'm not losing my mind.
Antarius likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 10:07 pm

But OP's screenshot says BE includes a checked bag for "select cities in the Caribbean".
Antarius likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 11:31 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Do you get free checked bags on BE with no status but an AA credit card?
Old Sep 20, 2022, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
But OP's screenshot says BE includes a checked bag for "select cities in the Caribbean".
Fair enough - I didn't realize that that BE had baggage.

That said, Gold and up get 1 bag at least, so "Your AAdvantage status checked baggage allowance will apply" would still work and be clearer, IMO.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
Fair enough - I didn't realize that that BE had baggage.

That said, Gold and up get 1 bag at least, so "Your AAdvantage status checked baggage allowance will apply" would still work and be clearer, IMO.
Except that then someone would ask, "wait, do I get 1 bag for flying to the selected Caribbean city, and 1 bag for being Gold, so I get 2"? Thus, adding the "if higher" makes sense. (I'm just making this up, I have no idea why they put it there.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.