Wiki Posts
Search

772 "Aircraft Change" weirdness?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2022, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

772 "Aircraft Change" weirdness?

Hi everyone,

I'm flying DFW-HNL in J on AA 123 on 11/19, aircraft is a 772. A couple of days ago I received a notification of two changes to the flight: it is now 10 minutes longer, and it said there was a "change of aircraft" but the aircraft is still listed as a 772. There are no open seats in the J cabin currently, so I can't see if the aircraft has been switched from a Super Diamond J cabin (which it originally was) to a Zodiac J cabin based on the little divets in the seatmap. I'm really hoping it hasn't been, but would that be a reason to refer to this as an "aircraft change"? Because I can't think of another reason it would say that if it's still a 772 as before.

Thanks!
Daniel
Old Sep 15, 2022, 3:18 pm

Have to tried recently to select a seat? There was an issue with seat selections a few days ago.

and you won’t know which seats are planned until about 24 hours prior

Originally Posted by danwer930
Hi everyone,

I'm flying DFW-HNL in J on AA 123 on 11/19, aircraft is a 772. A couple of days ago I received a notification of two changes to the flight: it is now 10 minutes longer, and it said there was a "change of aircraft" but the aircraft is still listed as a 772. There are no open seats in the J cabin currently, so I can't see if the aircraft has been switched from a Super Diamond J cabin (which it originally was) to a Zodiac J cabin based on the little divets in the seatmap. I'm really hoping it hasn't been, but would that be a reason to refer to this as an "aircraft change"? Because I can't think of another reason it would say that if it's still a 772 as before.

Thanks!
Daniel
Antarius likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
You aren't going to know for sure if it is a Super Diamond or Concept D until 24-48 hours or so in advance.
danwer930 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 3:52 pm

AA seems to swap their wide body equipment a lot to HNL and OGC and am 90% sure it has to do with freight capabilities. I almost had it figured out for PHX-HNL and PHX-OGC
danwer930 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 6:50 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by Antarius
You aren't going to know for sure if it is a Super Diamond or Concept D until 24-48 hours or so in advance.
I'll raise that to "you aren't going to know for sure if it is a Super Diamond or Concept D until you get on the plane". In my experience, it is very hit and miss on whether the seat map gets updated to reflect the divots for reverse Concept D seats.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
OP it could change to a 789 at some point. I saw that happen a few times last year around the holidays. Eventually both flights stayed 789 for a short time, some days had 772s and 789s, some days 773 789, etc. Just keep an eye on it!
Antarius likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
I'll raise that to "you aren't going to know for sure if it is a Super Diamond or Concept D until you get on the plane". In my experience, it is very hit and miss on whether the seat map gets updated to reflect the divots for reverse Concept D seats.
If you use the AA website, then yes absolutely. If you find the likely assigned tail number and then check which seats it has, you can probably figure it out in advance 24-48 hours.

I just choose 7L now and don't worry about it. Either config, it's a good seat.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 11:45 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by Antarius
If you use the AA website, then yes absolutely. If you find the likely assigned tail number and then check which seats it has, you can probably figure it out in advance 24-48 hours.

I just choose 7L now and don't worry about it. Either config, it's a good seat.
Is there a good source for finding tail numbers in advance? Like you, I always try to pick a seat that work in either config, but sometimes those aren't available.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 12:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Is there a good source for finding tail numbers in advance? Like you, I always try to pick a seat that work in either config, but sometimes those aren't available.
I don’t think so. I’ll be surprised if AA even know which specific 772 they are using in advance.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by airb330
OP it could change to a 789 at some point. I saw that happen a few times last year around the holidays. Eventually both flights stayed 789 for a short time, some days had 772s and 789s, some days 773 789, etc. Just keep an eye on it!
Yep, AA even had 77Ws flying to Hawaii last year though the F and J cabins were both sold as Flagship Business

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.