Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 24, 2023, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ExpatExp
From AA's "Systemwide upgrades" page as of 24 July 2023 (edited to remove references to mileage upgrades, which are not the topic of this thread):

Enjoy a confirmed upgrade from most Business fares to First, from Premium Economy to Business, or from Economy to Premium Economy when flying transatlantic on British Airways.

Systemwide upgrades can be used for one-way travel for up to 3 flight segments on British Airways marketed and operated flights or British Airways operated flights marketed by American. At least one American marketed flight must be in the itinerary to be eligible.
  1. Log in to aa.com and make sure you have systemwide upgrades available in your AAdvantage® account.
  2. Call your AAdvantage® status service desk to confirm your upgrade. If available, the required number of upgrades will be deducted from your balance.*
  3. If an upgrade isn’t available at the time of booking, you can check back with us. There is no option to waitlist for an upgrade on British Airways flights.

*Systemwide upgrades are subject to upgrade seating availability.
From AA's "AAdvantage® FAQs" page as of 24 July 2023 (edited to remove references to mileage upgrades, which are not the topic of this thread):

Upgrades on British Airways and Iberia
  • Can I upgrade on British Airways and Iberia flights? Yes, systemwide upgrades can be used for one-way travel for up to three segments on British Airways marketed and operated flights or British Airways operated flights marketed by American.
  • Can I upgrade from a discount Main Cabin fare? Systemwide upgrades on British Airways are valid on all purchased, published fares.
  • Why is my upgrade on British Airways not valid from Economy to Business? Systemwide and mileage upgrades are valid for a one cabin upgrade. On British Airways flights that offer Premium Economy, upgrades from Economy will be to Premium Economy. On flights where British Airways doesn’t offer Premium Economy, the upgrade will be to Business.
Print Wikipost

SWU upgrades on BA are live

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2022, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
SWU upgrades on BA are live

Mods - I think this deserves its own thread for now, but understand if you want to merge.

SWUs are now possible on BA, as confirmed by AA's website.

Called EXP desk and futher learned:
  • upgrade inventory (seems to be) derived from Miles SAAver awards - so if you are booked in Club Suites / World, you can go to First if Z is available
  • on short-haul segments you go from World Traveler (Economy) to Club Europe (Business), on long-haul you go from World Traveler to World Traveler Plus (PE), so for long-haul you need to buy PE if you want J
  • can't waitlist upgrades, and you can't yet search on Expert Flyer, so the best way to find availability right now is searching for award tickets for one-way segments on AA's website then calling to confirm (unfortunately, the "Systemwide upgrades" link doesn't appear if you try to buy a ticket with cash)
Even if this benefit is cumbersome to use, I have to give AA a lot of credit for genuinely improving a benefit.

Old Sep 12, 2022, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Not bad. I'm impressed.

Now I'm debating whether to call and bump my BA segment to Club Europe or stay in the exit row where I actually can fit my legs properly.
Brandinho1 and golfer20 like this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 5:25 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
This is excellent news.

I usually just do the miles upgrade on my BA flights as it’s an excellent value.
travelergurl likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Antarius
Not bad. I'm impressed.

Now I'm debating whether to call and bump my BA segment to Club Europe or stay in the exit row where I actually can fit my legs properly.
Club Europe is pretty weak and BA flies narrowbodies in a tight configuration even on longer 3+ European routes
onlyquestions likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 5:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That isn't what the image posted says

It only indicates that upgrades are avaulable on BA transatlantic flights; there is nothing that indicates the ability to upgrade from Euro Traveller to Club Europe on that screen

The T&Cs also states "Upgrades are valid only on scheduled flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle offering a First or Business Class cabin for travel, or on British Airways marketed and operated transatlantic flights. Not valid on codeshare flights, except for flights marketed by American and operated by British Airways."
Antarius and nancypants like this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Sep 12, 2022 at 6:01 pm
Old Sep 12, 2022, 5:54 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I wonder if Iberia will join in on the upgrades too? Also is the inventory this pulls from still C?
Old Sep 12, 2022, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Big benefit bump and it seems less restrictive than what JonNYC and the blogs reported where a AA-operated segment is needed.

Some of the high-J cabins are probably going to be easier to upgrade especially when compared to a AA 788/9, provided space is released.

I believe BA’s equivalent for Golds was also rolled out today, though they will need to buy W to get into J.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
That isn't what the image posted says

It only indicates that upgrades are avaulable on BA transatlantic flights; there is nothing that indicates the ability to upgrade from Euro Traveller to Club Europe on that screen

The T&Cs also states "Upgrades are valid only on scheduled flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle offering a First or Business Class cabin for travel, or on British Airways marketed and operated transatlantic flights. Not valid on codeshare flights, except for flights marketed by American and operated by British Airways."
Good point.
Just read the webpage as well. I was going off the tweet from JonNYC earlier.
​​​​​
Old Sep 12, 2022, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
But then it says they are valid for up to three segments on BA. How could one reasonably get to three BA segments if it only includes the transatlantic leg?
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
So no C on intra Europe flights? Just coach to PE for transatlantic? Is that the bottom line? I don’t consider J to F a benefit. If one is already buying J the delta isn’t much. I can’t afford J trans Atlantic tickets. This is the true sole reason for 99% of travelers: the ability to upgrade from coach to transatlantic J.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
So no C on intra Europe flights? Just coach to PE for transatlantic? Is that the bottom line? I don’t consider J to F a benefit. If one is already buying J the delta isn’t much. I can’t afford J trans Atlantic tickets. This is the true sole reason for 99% of travelers: the ability to upgrade from coach to transatlantic J.
PE to J on BA TATL.

Club Europe sucks. We're not missing much.
enviroian, ryanbriar and hsumh316 like this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
But then it says they are valid for up to three segments on BA. How could one reasonably get to three BA segments if it only includes the transatlantic leg?
My guess is that it will be similar to how you apply GUCs on AF / KLM — short-haul flights under I want to say 1,500 miles attached to the long haul can have the GUC applied. Otherwise, can’t use the GUC on said short-haul flight.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wonder what if any reciprocal benefits BAEC members will get.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
PE to J on BA TATL.

Club Europe sucks. We're not missing much.
but Y-PE correct? I’d rather roll the dice buying AA PE as at least I’d get a waitlisted for J
Old Sep 12, 2022, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Wonder what if any reciprocal benefits BAEC members will get.
They received two SWU-like instruments for AA flights, though can’t go Y—>J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.