FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   SWUs on BA are live (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2094091-swus-ba-live.html)

golfer20 Sep 12, 22 6:20 pm

SWUs on BA are live
 
Mods - I think this deserves its own thread for now, but understand if you want to merge.

SWUs are now possible on BA, as confirmed by AA's website.

Called EXP desk and futher learned:
  • upgrade inventory (seems to be) derived from Miles SAAver awards - so if you are booked in Club Suites / World, you can go to First if Z is available
  • on short-haul segments you go from World Traveler (Economy) to Club Europe (Business), on long-haul you go from World Traveler to World Traveler Plus (PE), so for long-haul you need to buy PE if you want J
  • can't waitlist upgrades, and you can't yet search on Expert Flyer, so the best way to find availability right now is searching for award tickets for one-way segments on AA's website then calling to confirm (unfortunately, the "Systemwide upgrades" link doesn't appear if you try to buy a ticket with cash)
Even if this benefit is cumbersome to use, I have to give AA a lot of credit for genuinely improving a benefit.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...1343207702.jpg

Antarius Sep 12, 22 6:22 pm

Not bad. I'm impressed.

Now I'm debating whether to call and bump my BA segment to Club Europe or stay in the exit row where I actually can fit my legs properly.

355F1 Sep 12, 22 6:25 pm

This is excellent news.

I usually just do the miles upgrade on my BA flights as itís an excellent value.

fly747first Sep 12, 22 6:37 pm


Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 34594715)
Not bad. I'm impressed.

Now I'm debating whether to call and bump my BA segment to Club Europe or stay in the exit row where I actually can fit my legs properly.

Club Europe is pretty weak and BA flies narrowbodies in a tight configuration even on longer 3+ European routes

Dave Noble Sep 12, 22 6:54 pm

That isn't what the image posted says

It only indicates that upgrades are avaulable on BA transatlantic flights; there is nothing that indicates the ability to upgrade from Euro Traveller to Club Europe on that screen

The T&Cs also states "Upgrades are valid only on scheduled flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle offering a First or Business Class cabin for travel, or on British Airways marketed and operated transatlantic flights. Not valid on codeshare flights, except for flights marketed by American and operated by British Airways."

donotblink Sep 12, 22 6:54 pm

I wonder if Iberia will join in on the upgrades too? Also is the inventory this pulls from still C?

ryanbriar Sep 12, 22 6:55 pm

Big benefit bump and it seems less restrictive than what JonNYC and the blogs reported where a AA-operated segment is needed.

Some of the high-J cabins are probably going to be easier to upgrade especially when compared to a AA 788/9, provided space is released.

I believe BAís equivalent for Golds was also rolled out today, though they will need to buy W to get into J.

Antarius Sep 12, 22 7:03 pm


Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 34594808)
That isn't what the image posted says

It only indicates that upgrades are avaulable on BA transatlantic flights; there is nothing that indicates the ability to upgrade from Euro Traveller to Club Europe on that screen

The T&Cs also states "Upgrades are valid only on scheduled flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle offering a First or Business Class cabin for travel, or on British Airways marketed and operated transatlantic flights. Not valid on codeshare flights, except for flights marketed by American and operated by British Airways."

Good point.
Just read the webpage as well. I was going off the tweet from JonNYC earlier.
​​​​​

USFlyerUS Sep 12, 22 7:06 pm

But then it says they are valid for up to three segments on BA. How could one reasonably get to three BA segments if it only includes the transatlantic leg?

enviroian Sep 12, 22 7:13 pm

So no C on intra Europe flights? Just coach to PE for transatlantic? Is that the bottom line? I don’t consider J to F a benefit. If one is already buying J the delta isn’t much. I can’t afford J trans Atlantic tickets. This is the true sole reason for 99% of travelers: the ability to upgrade from coach to transatlantic J.

Antarius Sep 12, 22 7:17 pm


Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 34594845)
So no C on intra Europe flights? Just coach to PE for transatlantic? Is that the bottom line? I donít consider J to F a benefit. If one is already buying J the delta isnít much. I canít afford J trans Atlantic tickets. This is the true sole reason for 99% of travelers: the ability to upgrade from coach to transatlantic J.

PE to J on BA TATL.

Club Europe sucks. We're not missing much.

ryanbriar Sep 12, 22 7:40 pm


Originally Posted by USFlyerUS (Post 34594831)
But then it says they are valid for up to three segments on BA. How could one reasonably get to three BA segments if it only includes the transatlantic leg?

My guess is that it will be similar to how you apply GUCs on AF / KLM ó short-haul flights under I want to say 1,500 miles attached to the long haul can have the GUC applied. Otherwise, canít use the GUC on said short-haul flight.

enviroian Sep 12, 22 7:46 pm

Wonder what if any reciprocal benefits BAEC members will get.

enviroian Sep 12, 22 7:48 pm


Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 34594854)
PE to J on BA TATL.

Club Europe sucks. We're not missing much.

but Y-PE correct? Iíd rather roll the dice buying AA PE as at least Iíd get a waitlisted for J

ryanbriar Sep 12, 22 7:53 pm


Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 34594925)
Wonder what if any reciprocal benefits BAEC members will get.

They received two SWU-like instruments for AA flights, though canít go Yó>J.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 4:00 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.