SWUs on BA are live

Old Sep 15, 22, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
You stated that the terms explicitly include non transatlantic flights when the terms explicitly state that it is only transatlantic flights

The general blurb is not saying anything that is contrary to the T&Cs - there is nothing in there that suggests that economy to business upgrades on BA are permitted
While I agree that your interpretation makes sense, we have had multiple reports that it is possible. I personally was told that it is doable, albeit no waitlisting.
A few posters above seem to have cleared BA CE upgrades as well.
​​​​​
asnovici likes this.
Old Sep 15, 22, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
While I agree that your interpretation makes sense, we have had multiple reports that it is possible. I personally was told that it is doable, albeit no waitlisting.
A few posters above seem to have cleared BA CE upgrades as well.
​​​​​
I am not doubting the veracity of the people saying that they have been able to do so, I am addressing that the T&Cs are explicit that the upgades are on transatlantic flights only and the opposite to what was being posted

I suspect that when these have been in place for a while then either AA will update terms or it will clarify to agents that it is for TATL only
Old Sep 15, 22, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
Once again to reiterate -- I have already confirmed and ticketed an upgrade involving one TATL segment on BA plus one Euro segment on BA. No AA segments were involved.
So, yes, it is possible to upgrade Y>J on BA within Europe.

Bill
JohnDCA and Antarius like this.
Old Sep 15, 22, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
I am not doubting the veracity of the people saying that they have been able to do so, I am addressing that the T&Cs are explicit that the upgades are on transatlantic flights only and the opposite to what was being posted

I suspect that when these have been in place for a while then either AA will update terms or it will clarify to agents that it is for TATL only
History being a guide, no change will happen. The SWU page still says next class of service,despite PE being a class of service for years.

Poorly worded T&Cs the lodestar of AA's being.
Old Sep 16, 22, 1:09 am

Programs: UA *G, AA EXP, BA Silver

My understanding was that the upgrades are only for itineraries that include TATL flights, not only for the TATL flights themselves – so you cannot upgrade a trip that is just LHR-FCO, but you can upgrade LHR-FCO if that is the only upgradeable flight on a trip from JFK-LHR-FCO.

But I could have misunderstood
Old Sep 16, 22, 1:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid View Post
My understanding was that the upgrades are only for itineraries that include TATL flights, not only for the TATL flights themselves so you cannot upgrade a trip that is just LHR-FCO, but you can upgrade LHR-FCO if that is the only upgradeable flight on a trip from JFK-LHR-FCO.

But I could have misunderstood
That would have logic, but the T&Cs are quite explicit. Be interesting to see whether the ability to upgrade UK-EU flights ( though I would rarely want to downgrade from the exit row if it is in economy ) is a temporary thing until agents start understanding it more or whether it is an error in the T&Cs
Old Sep 16, 22, 5:58 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid View Post
My understanding was that the upgrades are only for itineraries that include TATL flights, not only for the TATL flights themselves so you cannot upgrade a trip that is just LHR-FCO, but you can upgrade LHR-FCO if that is the only upgradeable flight on a trip from JFK-LHR-FCO.
I think it might be slightly more nuanced than that. An itinerary could be a multi-city itinerary where the LHR-EU flight is not part of the routing of another leg. In that case, the LHR-FCO flight could not be upgraded unless it's part of a US-LHR-FCO routing (i.e., a connection in LHR instead of a stopover in LHR). I think this is what you meant but wanted to clarify in case I'm reading it wrong.
Old Sep 16, 22, 6:21 am

Programs: UA *G, AA EXP, BA Silver
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS View Post
I think it might be slightly more nuanced than that. An itinerary could be a multi-city itinerary where the LHR-EU flight is not part of the routing of another leg. In that case, the LHR-FCO flight could not be upgraded unless it's part of a US-LHR-FCO routing (i.e., a connection in LHR instead of a stopover in LHR). I think this is what you meant but wanted to clarify in case I'm reading it wrong.
I really have no idea ... in fact it could be even more nuanced - for example, if JFK-LHR is on AA, and you are not flying BA transatlantic it may not be possible to upgrade LHR-FCO, even if a true connection. The original screen shots do explicitly state 'when flying transatlantic on British Airways.'

These airlines clearly have clever marketing people eager to come up with a new scheme, but not enough time to craft accurate terms and conditions. Or maybe too many lawyers vetoing the precise details that we need
Old Sep 16, 22, 6:36 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Whoever writes these communications at AA really needs to vet them, ideally with a group of FFs or something. I feel like we go around in circles every time AA changes a policy, adds a benefit, or clarifies an existing policy. They're never clear, which only makes agents' jobs harder and frustrates FFs who try to use the benefits. I don't get why this is so hard.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Sep 16, 22, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I bet everyone likes BA's high award fuel surcharge (which leads to good availability) now!

Search this Thread