FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   SWU upgrades on BA are live (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2094091-swu-upgrades-ba-live.html)

Fanjet Sep 12, 2022 10:19 pm

So, using these does not require a fuel surcharge differential? IIRC, BAEC members who use miles or certificates to upgrade into a higher cabin have to pay the difference in the fuel surcharge between those corresponding cabins.(I.e. If someone upgrades from W to J, there is a charge for the difference between the fuel surcharge in J versus the fuel surcharge in W, which was originally paid for at ticket purchase).

mrow Sep 12, 2022 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by stevendorechester (Post 34595168)
My AMEX card does not have the opportunity to transfer to AA. I got BA status last winter with one round-trip YUL-LHR-DXB on an I class ticket. You won't get that on AA. I just wished that AA offers all their award seats to other partner airlines that do the same.

AA do offer all the ‘saver’ award level to partners. But additionally they also have other awards that are often more expensive (in mileage terms) that you can buy with AA miles but not partner miles.

Dave Noble Sep 12, 2022 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by golfer20 (Post 34595347)
EXP AAgent told me that the "transatlantic" phrasing was for Y -> PE on BA vs. Y -> J on AA or Y -> J on BA Europe. I do find the wording confusing in the T&Cs, though.

Also possible the person I spoke to had it wrong and the policy will be clarified later. Either way, Club Europe is hardly better and often worse than AA MCE.

Given that the T&Cs is very clear that the BA upgrades are on transatlantic flights only, I would take it as almost certain that the agent was wrong

The description on the page refers to transatlantic and the T&Cs state it too - plus there is nothing to indicate an economy to business upgrade option

SFO_FT Sep 12, 2022 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet (Post 34595359)
So, using these does not require a fuel surcharge differential? IIRC, BAEC members who use miles or certificates to upgrade into a higher cabin have to pay the difference in the fuel surcharge between those corresponding cabins.(I.e. If someone upgrades from W to J, there is a charge for the difference between the fuel surcharge in J versus the fuel surcharge in W, which was originally paid for at ticket purchase).

Agree. Would be nice to know. I bet that BA will charge the additional amounts.

BRITINJAPAN4 Sep 13, 2022 12:43 am

Originally Posted by cova (Post 34594999)
I much prefer the exit row (over the upgrade). Only problem is BA won't let you put anything under the seat in front of you when in an Exit row.

I don't think that's a BA thing, I think is a safety based mandate pretty much globally.

rill2503456 Sep 13, 2022 2:11 am

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4 (Post 34595567)
I don't think that's a BA thing, I think is a safety based mandate pretty much globally.

This is not true and has apparently been discussed previously in this forum. There are a number of carriers that require that, but afaik none of the US carriers do as policy. Outside of the US, it seems to depend entirely on the airline?

Dave Noble Sep 13, 2022 2:28 am

Originally Posted by rill2503456 (Post 34595679)
This is not true and has apparently been discussed previously in this forum. There are a number of carriers that require that, but afaik none of the US carriers do as policy. Outside of the US, it seems to depend entirely on the airline?

I beleiev that the CAA mandates it for UK carriers

ime it is common outside of the US

sombrachinesca Sep 13, 2022 4:14 am

Just to be clear in response to several posts above-
(1) I upgraded both TATL and intra-Europe segments with one SWU. Agent did ask if I was upgrading the entire trip, so I assume it would have been possible to only upgrade one segment.
(2) No additional tax or fees were collected

Personally, I would not spend a SWU just to upgrade a 2-3 hour European flight.

Bill

krispy84 Sep 13, 2022 4:53 am

I think the big selling point is being able to upgrade the following:

US domestic in Y, connecting onto TATL in W, then onto BA intra-Europe in Y

to all 3 segments in J.

355F1 Sep 13, 2022 9:51 am

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4 (Post 34595567)

I have always been able to have bags under front seat in exit row on AA/DL/CX domestic and international flights.

Amon_Ra_ Sep 13, 2022 9:53 am

The SWU can only be applied to BA TATL and intra-Europe routes? a TATL + something LHR-ACC would not be possible, right?

enviroian Sep 13, 2022 10:17 am

The benefit for me would be booking AA metal to LHR then BA CE to wherever in the EU I'm flying to. Those cabins are pretty much empty so I would think the SWU would clear. I'll take row 1 in BA CE any day.

Jonesdds Sep 13, 2022 3:03 pm

I just called American to see about doing this with and the agent had no idea what I was talking about....hang up and call again.

Antarius Sep 13, 2022 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by krispy84 (Post 34595866)
I think the big selling point is being able to upgrade the following:

US domestic in Y, connecting onto TATL in W, then onto BA intra-Europe in Y

to all 3 segments in J.

or theoretically US Domestic in Y connecting to TATL in Y on AA and then BA-intra-Europe in Y to all 3 in J. But this remains to be seen as the written rules do not really cover the intra-europe piece if read literally.

I did call the EXP line and inquired about this reservation at the end and asked about whether I can move my LHR-AMS to CE with the already cleared SWU on that set of flights. They said that it is possible if it is available and that they cannot waitlist.

enviroian Sep 13, 2022 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 34597576)
They said that it is possible if it is available and that they cannot waitlist.

Did they check and see if it's available? EF is useless with this info and not obtainable.