SWUs on BA are live

Old Sep 12, 22, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Expertflyer has been failing when trying to search for reward inventory on BA in Z or U. Been like this all weekend.

BA award inventory is temporarily unavailable due to an issue with our data provider. They are actively working to fix the issue. Thank you for your patience.
Old Sep 12, 22, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Not bad. I'm impressed.

Now I'm debating whether to call and bump my BA segment to Club Europe or stay in the exit row where I actually can fit my legs properly.
I much prefer the exit row (over the upgrade). Only problem is BA won't let you put anything under the seat in front of you when in an Exit row.
Antarius likes this.
Old Sep 12, 22, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
Just successfully used a SWU for flights next March PIT-LHR-MAD.
Agent had me on hold for a long time as she said "it is all new and I need help to do it" but in the end, the upgrade went through with no problem.
I had been booked in PE on the PIT-LHR segment and Y on LHR-MAD. Both segments upgraded to J.

The only thing I noticed is that I was switched onto the BA prime numbers (I was originally on the AA codeshare #).

(The return segment was AA flights and had been previously upgraded, but the agent never mentioned AA segments being necessary)

Bill
Old Sep 12, 22, 7:59 pm

Programs: ba silver
I don't know why BA is doing this. I am BA Silver and have NOT received an SWU for use on AA. Is it only available to BA Gold.

AA members get a lot more from BA than vice-versa in general. I find it particularly wrong that while it is easy to use AA miles on BA ( or other OW ) flights, especially off-peak AA seems to zero out most of their inventory when I try to use Avios for AA North American flights.

I think BA and other OW should cut off AA members from award seats unless AA offered every award seat they offer their own members, let alone offer upgrades on their own flights without reciprocity.

Last edited by stevendorechester; Sep 12, 22 at 8:10 pm
Old Sep 12, 22, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stevendorechester View Post
I don't know why BA is doing this. I am BA Silver and have NOT received an SWU for use on AA. Is it only available to BA Gold.
BA silver equivalents on AA don't get these either.
Old Sep 12, 22, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

AA members get a lot more from BA than vice-versa in general. I find it particularly wrong that while it is easy to use AA miles on BA ( or other OW ) flights, especially off-peak AA seems to zero out most of their inventory when I try to use Avios for AA North American flights.

I think BA and other OW should cut off AA members from award seats unless AA offered every award seat they offer their own members, let alone offer upgrades on their own flights without reciprocity.
It is a BA Gold status benefit I read - which makes sense since SWUs are an EP statys benefit

If AA is that much better , why would you stay with a scheme that basically doesnt offer reward flights - just slightly discounted tickets ( given the surcharges ) ?
Old Sep 12, 22, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by sombrachinesca View Post
Just successfully used a SWU for flights next March PIT-LHR-MAD.
Agent had me on hold for a long time as she said "it is all new and I need help to do it" but in the end, the upgrade went through with no problem.
I had been booked in PE on the PIT-LHR segment and Y on LHR-MAD. Both segments upgraded to J.

The only thing I noticed is that I was switched onto the BA prime numbers (I was originally on the AA codeshare #).

(The return segment was AA flights and had been previously upgraded, but the agent never mentioned AA segments being necessary)

Bill
Nice! Did you see confirmable space (understanding there are some EF issues at the moment) or figure youd call up?

Id definitely save down your original itinerary / cost to ensure you get the appropriate LP should it post as distance and your LP spend calculation > distance.

Based on the AA SWU page, theyre not needed.
Antarius likes this.
Old Sep 12, 22, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ryanbriar View Post
Nice! Did you see confirmable space (understanding there are some EF issues at the moment) or figure youd call up?

Id definitely save down your original itinerary / cost to ensure you get the appropriate LP should it post as distance and your LP spend calculation > distance.

Not speaking for the OP in this case, but W to J on BA hasn't been terribly difficult to come by historically.

And yes, definitely keep records.
Old Sep 12, 22, 8:29 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
The Expertflyer issue has been going on for a while now. This is not new, and it sucks.
Old Sep 12, 22, 8:36 pm

Programs: ba silver
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
It is a BA Gold status benefit I read - which makes sense since SWUs are an EP statys benefit

If AA is that much better , why would you stay with a scheme that basically doesnt offer reward flights - just slightly discounted tickets ( given the surcharges ) ?
My AMEX card does not have the opportunity to transfer to AA. I got BA status last winter with one round-trip YUL-LHR-DXB on an I class ticket. You won't get that on AA. I just wished that AA offers all their award seats to other partner airlines that do the same.
Old Sep 12, 22, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
to be honest it would be welcome. I don’t consider an “award “ ticket on BA CW across the Atlantic to cost $1200.
Old Sep 12, 22, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
to be honest it would be welcome. I dont consider an award ticket on BA CW across the Atlantic to cost $1200.
Flip side is that the 57.5k offers (or 85k in F) are easier to come by and often the only awards that are sensible short of shelling out 180k each way on AA. For that delta, I can find award space on Qatar, which would save thousands of dollars. (The sweet spot TATL awards are the 78k web specials in F if you can find them.)
etiene likes this.
Old Sep 12, 22, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
Originally Posted by ryanbriar View Post

Yes - checked on BA.com for a one-way award, verified there was J award space ("1 seat remaining")
Then, to be safe, also checked on AA.com for a one-way award, also showing there

And yes, after a covid-era refund fiasco with Iberia 2 years ago, I keep receipts, ITA matrix printouts, screenshots, credit card statements, etc...
Old Sep 12, 22, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP / 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold

Just imagine if AA charged ridiculous fuel surcharges on all award flights, making you want to avoid booking award travel with them altogether.
Old Sep 12, 22, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
That isn't what the image posted says

It only indicates that upgrades are avaulable on BA transatlantic flights; there is nothing that indicates the ability to upgrade from Euro Traveller to Club Europe on that screen

The T&Cs also states "Upgrades are valid only on scheduled flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle offering a First or Business Class cabin for travel, or on British Airways marketed and operated transatlantic flights. Not valid on codeshare flights, except for flights marketed by American and operated by British Airways."
EXP AAgent told me that the "transatlantic" phrasing was for Y -> PE on BA vs. Y -> J on AA or Y -> J on BA Europe. I do find the wording confusing in the T&Cs, though.

Also possible the person I spoke to had it wrong and the policy will be clarified later. Either way, Club Europe is hardly better and often worse than AA MCE.

Search this Thread