FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   SWUs on BA are live (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2094091-swus-ba-live.html)

cova Sep 12, 22 8:17 pm

Expertflyer has been failing when trying to search for reward inventory on BA in Z or U. Been like this all weekend.

https://www.expertflyer.com/fw/def/i...dot_000000.gif BA award inventory is temporarily unavailable due to an issue with our data provider. They are actively working to fix the issue. Thank you for your patience.

cova Sep 12, 22 8:21 pm


Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 34594715)
Not bad. I'm impressed.

Now I'm debating whether to call and bump my BA segment to Club Europe or stay in the exit row where I actually can fit my legs properly.

I much prefer the exit row (over the upgrade). Only problem is BA won't let you put anything under the seat in front of you when in an Exit row.

sombrachinesca Sep 12, 22 8:46 pm

Just successfully used a SWU for flights next March PIT-LHR-MAD.
Agent had me on hold for a long time as she said "it is all new and I need help to do it" but in the end, the upgrade went through with no problem.
I had been booked in PE on the PIT-LHR segment and Y on LHR-MAD. Both segments upgraded to J.

The only thing I noticed is that I was switched onto the BA prime numbers (I was originally on the AA codeshare #).

(The return segment was AA flights and had been previously upgraded, but the agent never mentioned AA segments being necessary)

Bill

stevendorechester Sep 12, 22 8:59 pm

I don't know why BA is doing this. I am BA Silver and have NOT received an SWU for use on AA. Is it only available to BA Gold.

AA members get a lot more from BA than vice-versa in general. I find it particularly wrong that while it is easy to use AA miles on BA ( or other OW ) flights, especially off-peak AA seems to zero out most of their inventory when I try to use Avios for AA North American flights.

I think BA and other OW should cut off AA members from award seats unless AA offered every award seat they offer their own members, let alone offer upgrades on their own flights without reciprocity.

Antarius Sep 12, 22 9:13 pm


Originally Posted by stevendorechester (Post 34595090)
I don't know why BA is doing this. I am BA Silver and have NOT received an SWU for use on AA. Is it only available to BA Gold.

BA silver equivalents on AA don't get these either.

Dave Noble Sep 12, 22 9:16 pm


Originally Posted by stevendorechester (Post 34595090)
I don't know why BA is doing this. I am BA Silver and have NOT received an SWU for use on AA. Is it only available to BA Gold.

AA members get a lot more from BA than vice-versa in general. I find it particularly wrong that while it is easy to use AA miles on BA ( or other OW ) flights, especially off-peak AA seems to zero out most of their inventory when I try to use Avios for AA North American flights.

I think BA and other OW should cut off AA members from award seats unless AA offered every award seat they offer their own members, let alone offer upgrades on their own flights without reciprocity.

It is a BA Gold status benefit I read - which makes sense since SWUs are an EP statys benefit

If AA is that much better , why would you stay with a scheme that basically doesnt offer reward flights - just slightly discounted tickets ( given the surcharges ) ?

ryanbriar Sep 12, 22 9:23 pm


Originally Posted by sombrachinesca (Post 34595063)
Just successfully used a SWU for flights next March PIT-LHR-MAD.
Agent had me on hold for a long time as she said "it is all new and I need help to do it" but in the end, the upgrade went through with no problem.
I had been booked in PE on the PIT-LHR segment and Y on LHR-MAD. Both segments upgraded to J.

The only thing I noticed is that I was switched onto the BA prime numbers (I was originally on the AA codeshare #).

(The return segment was AA flights and had been previously upgraded, but the agent never mentioned AA segments being necessary)

Bill

Nice! Did you see confirmable space (understanding there are some EF issues at the moment) or figure you’d call up?

I’d definitely save down your original itinerary / cost to ensure you get the appropriate LP should it post as distance and your LP spend calculation > distance.

Based on the AA SWU page, they’re not needed.

Antarius Sep 12, 22 9:28 pm


Originally Posted by ryanbriar (Post 34595142)
Nice! Did you see confirmable space (understanding there are some EF issues at the moment) or figure you’d call up?

I’d definitely save down your original itinerary / cost to ensure you get the appropriate LP should it post as distance and your LP spend calculation > distance.

Based on the AA SWU page, they’re not needed.

Not speaking for the OP in this case, but W to J on BA hasn't been terribly difficult to come by historically.

And yes, definitely keep records.

SNA_Flyer Sep 12, 22 9:29 pm

The Expertflyer issue has been going on for a while now. This is not new, and it sucks.

stevendorechester Sep 12, 22 9:36 pm


Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 34595129)
It is a BA Gold status benefit I read - which makes sense since SWUs are an EP statys benefit

If AA is that much better , why would you stay with a scheme that basically doesnt offer reward flights - just slightly discounted tickets ( given the surcharges ) ?

My AMEX card does not have the opportunity to transfer to AA. I got BA status last winter with one round-trip YUL-LHR-DXB on an I class ticket. You won't get that on AA. I just wished that AA offers all their award seats to other partner airlines that do the same.

enviroian Sep 12, 22 9:41 pm


Originally Posted by stevendorechester (Post 34595090)
I think BA and other OW should cut off AA members from award seats unless AA offered every award seat they offer their own members, let alone offer upgrades on their own flights without reciprocity.

to be honest it would be welcome. I don’t consider an “award “ ticket on BA CW across the Atlantic to cost $1200.

ryanbriar Sep 12, 22 9:58 pm


Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 34595179)
to be honest it would be welcome. I don’t consider an “award “ ticket on BA CW across the Atlantic to cost $1200.

Flip side is that the 57.5k offers (or 85k in F) are easier to come by and often the only awards that are sensible short of shelling out 180k each way on AA. For that delta, I can find award space on Qatar, which would save thousands of dollars. (The sweet spot TATL awards are the 78k web specials in F if you can find them.)

sombrachinesca Sep 12, 22 10:13 pm


Originally Posted by ryanbriar (Post 34595142)
Nice! Did you see confirmable space (understanding there are some EF issues at the moment) or figure you’d call up?

I’d definitely save down your original itinerary / cost to ensure you get the appropriate LP should it post as distance and your LP spend calculation > distance.

Based on the AA SWU page, they’re not needed.


Yes - checked on BA.com for a one-way award, verified there was J award space ("1 seat remaining")
Then, to be safe, also checked on AA.com for a one-way award, also showing there

And yes, after a covid-era refund fiasco with Iberia 2 years ago, I keep receipts, ITA matrix printouts, screenshots, credit card statements, etc...

razzaba Sep 12, 22 10:23 pm


Originally Posted by stevendorechester (Post 34595090)
I don't know why BA is doing this. I am BA Silver and have NOT received an SWU for use on AA. Is it only available to BA Gold.

AA members get a lot more from BA than vice-versa in general. I find it particularly wrong that while it is easy to use AA miles on BA ( or other OW ) flights, especially off-peak AA seems to zero out most of their inventory when I try to use Avios for AA North American flights.

I think BA and other OW should cut off AA members from award seats unless AA offered every award seat they offer their own members, let alone offer upgrades on their own flights without reciprocity.

Just imagine if AA charged ridiculous fuel surcharges on all award flights, making you want to avoid booking award travel with them altogether.

golfer20 Sep 12, 22 11:10 pm


Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 34594808)
That isn't what the image posted says

It only indicates that upgrades are avaulable on BA transatlantic flights; there is nothing that indicates the ability to upgrade from Euro Traveller to Club Europe on that screen

The T&Cs also states "Upgrades are valid only on scheduled flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle offering a First or Business Class cabin for travel, or on British Airways marketed and operated transatlantic flights. Not valid on codeshare flights, except for flights marketed by American and operated by British Airways."

EXP AAgent told me that the "transatlantic" phrasing was for Y -> PE on BA vs. Y -> J on AA or Y -> J on BA Europe. I do find the wording confusing in the T&Cs, though.

Also possible the person I spoke to had it wrong and the policy will be clarified later. Either way, Club Europe is hardly better and often worse than AA MCE.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:54 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.