Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

American Airlines | AAdvantage

Low-segment, high-rev flyers left in the cold?

Low-segment, high-rev flyers left in the cold?

Old Sep 12, 22, 9:00 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New York City + Vail, CO
Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Posts: 2,820
Itís really a shame I canít get concierge key based on the quantity of flyertalk posts I make.
vasantn, coxm, emma dog and 9 others like this.
donotblink is online now  
Old Sep 12, 22, 9:10 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: EZE
Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 1,324
Originally Posted by donotblink View Post
Itís really a shame I canít get concierge key based on the quantity of flyertalk posts I make.
With this post you have earned Concierge Key 🔑
Brandinho1 is offline  
Old Sep 12, 22, 9:38 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Rolling Lakes Yacht Club
Posts: 4,757
I don't think true high rev, low segment fliers really care.

JME, YMMV, IYKYK
DataPlumber is offline  
Old Sep 12, 22, 11:35 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: TX
Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Posts: 916
Different answer: you expect AA to be an airline. Their recent financials show theyíre a credit card company that flies planes in their non-profit division.

Spend $50k on their credit card and theyíll pay you more attention. Spend it on something unrelated to flights and theyíll love you more.
bgasser, arollins, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
thatmikereed is offline  
Old Sep 12, 22, 11:42 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Washington,DC
Posts: 1,709
I'm with the OP on this one.

I believe the 30 segment rule makes sense to stop someone who spends $200K on a credit card getting 4 SWU's and the perks on AA of EXP, with whom they spend no direct revenue.

But imagine that you fly JFK to LHR RT twice a month. You'd be spending $150K a year on AA and yet only 24 segments.

This is a case where the rule was designed to catch 99% of issues, but OP is treated badly by this rule. If OP is spending $50K on J fares then he is high profit for AA and maybe a call to executive liaison desk will yield a better result than the regular line. I'v been AA EXP for years at a $30-$40K spend and never been less than #1 on an upgrade list. I'd bet 95% of eXP spend less than $50K a year
jordyn, scoonee, ryanbriar and 1 others like this.
SteveinA2 is offline  
Old Sep 13, 22, 12:35 am
  #36  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: CGK/KOA
Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Posts: 1,625
Totally agree with OP on this one. I think AA should have combined LP points for their credit card spend
AND instead of 30 segment kept a dollar amount for airfare spend to unlock rewards.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Penguinmoon is offline  
Old Sep 13, 22, 6:03 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PHL
Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,512
Originally Posted by SteveinA2 View Post
I'm with the OP on this one.

I believe the 30 segment rule makes sense to stop someone who spends $200K on a credit card getting 4 SWU's and the perks on AA of EXP, with whom they spend no direct revenue.

But imagine that you fly JFK to LHR RT twice a month. You'd be spending $150K a year on AA and yet only 24 segments.

This is a case where the rule was designed to catch 99% of issues, but OP is treated badly by this rule. If OP is spending $50K on J fares then he is high profit for AA and maybe a call to executive liaison desk will yield a better result than the regular line. I'v been AA EXP for years at a $30-$40K spend and never been less than #1 on an upgrade list. I'd bet 95% of eXP spend less than $50K a year
Wouldn't that be 48 segments? But I do get your point and agree with it.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
apeortdz is offline  
Old Sep 13, 22, 6:46 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: DFW Area
Programs: AA ConciergeKey; Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 230
I suspect that the low segment CK flyer (I have been CK for four years and have never flown more than ~14-16 segments in one year) is disadvantaged by this, but it isnít that common and wonít change their flying behavior in any material way. Itís worse this year though as I have a million LPs (mostly AA card spend), so donít get any of the choice awards even though I maxed out the tiers.

Maybe I need to do a segment run (though I guess that undercuts my premise that it doesnít change flying behavior). Diabolical AA!
apeortdz and LowValueCustomer like this.
davecraze is offline  
Old Sep 13, 22, 2:43 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: STL/ORD/SAN
Programs: AA CK, AC SE100K, BA Silver, accidental DL FO, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, AmEx PLT
Posts: 1,888
Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
1: Your information is not accurate since you have ZERO evidence other than you stating that the $50K is false when you have no sources and yet you seem highly envious that AA would share more information with me. Jeez I don't know, maybe they consider me (or more realistically, my company in general) a better customer?
LOL. This entire rant strikes me as exceptionally narcissistic. I assure you I am not envious of you and your self-confessed OPM spend.

Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
Before Covid, $50K was the minimum needed to be considered for CK, but that didn't mean that everyone who spent that minimum was granted CK status.
You continue to miss the fact that 50k is not a blanket minimum. I'm going to stay away from the word "published," since that seems to be creating some confusion here. Perhaps someone advised you that 50k is the minimum for you or employees at your company who are in the same market (same home city/airport/nomination pathway, etc.), but that minimum varies widely throughout the CK population. An AA executive has confirmed to me directly in person that the criteria vary by city (this was already known to many in the CK thread, based on discussions there over the years), and data points from FT posters suggest that it was possible to earn CK via the so-called profitability pathway without spending $50k pre-COVID.

Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
How can something be logical when you have stated over and over that the $50K minimum is false? If that's your belief, no problem, but that doesn't change the fact that you have zero sources to support that claim. Just because people posted here that they made CK spending well under $50K doesn't make it statistically significant.
When I said "logical," I was referring to the fact that it is logical for AA to want to maintain certain percentages of elites within each status tier -- I wasn't referencing any minimum spend with that term. Furthermore, not everything discussed on FlyerTalk needs to be "statistically significant." Statistical significance can be quite a difficult thing to achieve even when you have a great theory and robust data sets, but if everything needed to be "statistically significant" in the true sense of the term (which is used in my industry quite regularly), you'd never be able to draw any conclusions from the things you read on FT. This is a website where flyers informally share their experiences and own data points... not a formal survey with systematic data collection that is then processed to test a theory.

Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
Wrong again. Since when do you write "finally" and then continue talking about different points? lol
I said, "Finally - a modicum of truth" when referring to your prior post... not "finally" as in the last point I intended to make in that post lol. What an odd thing to attempt to criticize.

Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
We earned it purely by flying AA without any pre-paid program.
Good for you, I guess? I didn't know that one pathway of achieving CK is better than any other. There are likely Airpass CKs who are more profitable to AA than you and your company.

Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
If you have evidence proving that the majority of CKs made it through AIRPASS, I would love for you to share it,
Why would I attempt to present evidence of that? I never made such a claim.

Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
$50k in J tickets and no CK…..?
I'm a bit surprised also, based on the posted information, but SFO home market could be the issue, or perhaps the profitability figure is still a bit low given the average length of those trips, or plenty of other unknown factors.

Originally Posted by davecraze View Post
I suspect that the low segment CK flyer (I have been CK for four years and have never flown more than ~14-16 segments in one year) is disadvantaged by this, but it isn’t that common and won’t change their flying behavior in any material way. It’s worse this year though as I have a million LPs (mostly AA card spend), so don’t get any of the choice awards even though I maxed out the tiers.
Seems like a nice trade off for the low segment / high spend flyer -- if I had to choose, I know I'd rather have CK than the loyalty choice rewards!

Last edited by metallo; Sep 13, 22 at 3:00 pm Reason: typos
metallo is online now  
Old Sep 13, 22, 5:27 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: AUS
Programs: AA PPro, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Posts: 5,848
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
can we put aside the "who's got the bigger...:" and get back to this subject. This is getting a little old.
Totally agree. If these two want to have a dance off it would be great if they would do it via PM...

To both fly747first and metallo, contrary to what you may believe this actually isn't a good look for either of you...

Regards
enviroian likes this.
scubadu is offline  
Old Sep 13, 22, 5:46 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU/KIAH
Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 8,887
I wouldn't be surprised if AA introduces a $ alternative to 30 segments in the future.

Above x $ spend on AA, you get a segment waiver.
Antarius is offline  
Old Sep 13, 22, 6:13 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 1,525
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if AA introduces a $ alternative to 30 segments in the future.

Above x $ spend on AA, you get a segment waiver.
UA does something like this with their spend requirement. $13,500 with 36 segments, $15K without.
TheDudeAbides and Antarius like this.
Catbert10 is offline  
Old Sep 13, 22, 6:52 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: DTW/EYW
Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Platinum ,Hilton Diamond, Mariott Gold
Posts: 251
In my opinion, it is the high segment/mileage but relatively low spend flyers getting screwed over the most. With the new program there is 0 incentive to fly more than 30 flights. Also, on upgrade lists it is far more common to find yourself lower now to someone who flys only a few flights per year but have a crazy amount of LPs via cc spend, BAAH, etc. I am at 94 segments for the year and only 150k LPs (130k from flights).
keyw is offline  
Old Sep 13, 22, 10:03 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU/KIAH
Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 8,887
Originally Posted by keyw View Post
In my opinion, it is the high segment/mileage but relatively low spend flyers getting screwed over the most. With the new program there is 0 incentive to fly more than 30 flights. Also, on upgrade lists it is far more common to find yourself lower now to someone who flys only a few flights per year but have a crazy amount of LPs via cc spend, BAAH, etc. I am at 94 segments for the year and only 150k LPs (130k from flights).
I don't know if they're being screwed as much as being deliberately weeded out. AA doesn't want 94 segment 150k LP flyers having high status.

Last edited by Antarius; Sep 13, 22 at 10:23 pm
Antarius is offline  
Old Sep 13, 22, 10:31 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 1,525
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
I don't know if they're being screwed as much as being deliberately weeded out. AA doesn't want 94 segment 150k LP flyers having high status.
Likewise, AA doesn't feel the need to reward, high-spend but low segment flyers, especially if they're flying on partner airlines. One, no marginal benefit. They'll likely continue to fly AA without the SWUs. Second, they're getting OWE which is probably the most important benefit for them anyway.

AA wants the high credit card spend customer because that's a high profit, low expenditure customer. Second, AA wants the program to reward high spend but high frequency travelers because the higher frequency means more chances to choose the competition.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Catbert10 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread