Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Low-segment, high-rev flyers left in the cold?

Low-segment, high-rev flyers left in the cold?

Old Sep 12, 22, 3:04 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gdm View Post
I just requalified for EXP (I think this is year 15) and apparently I had missed the new requirement of 30 AA segments/year for acquiring SWUs.

Seriously, am I missing something? Is AA really that uninterested in defending high-value low-segment flyers?
The answer is yes, AA believes you need to fly those 30 segments to unlock the SWUs, etc.

Question back to you: Are SWUs worth the time/money spent to obtain 30 segments? If yes, then do the segment run. If not, not worth it.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Sep 12, 22, 3:08 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I asked about it once-upon-a-time and they was pointed out that a lot of my flying is on partners at the time, BA and CX.
I think you're kind of answering your own question
Old Sep 12, 22, 3:11 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, American Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Look at it this way - instead of $50K spent on AA, you can now spend $20K on AA and earn EXP, and divert the other $30K to other carriers based on price and schedule (and probably try out their top tier elite programs).
TheDudeAbides and galaticos like this.
Old Sep 12, 22, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, accidental DL FO, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
Airpass has nothing to do with CK status. Before Covid, $50K was the minimum needed to be considered for CK, but that didn't mean that everyone who spent that minimum was granted CK status. There are also plenty of government officials who aren't even close to spending $50K and AA has granted them CK status. AA will never publish the actual minimum and it changes every year because AA likes to keep a certain % of flyers in each loyalty tier.
This reply is all wrong also.

First, anyone spending at least 60k on Airpass and selecting CK with their status points would surely disagree with you that Airpass has nothing to do with CK.

Secondly, there was never a 50k minimum for non-Airpass invitees, even pre-COVID. How can you say its the minimum and then say, basically in the same breath, that its not the minimum and also that AA doesnt publish the minimum?

To set the record straight - theres no published minimum, except for Airpass. Furthermore, all it takes to see that the $50k pre-COVID minimum theory is false, is to look back at the data points in the CK thread from 2018 and 2019. Some posters made it with fewer than 50k EQDs, and I doubt theyre all government officials.

Also, where did you read that AA keeps a certain percentage of people in each tier? While it may be logical to assume that, theyve never announced anything like that publicly. Do you work for AAdvantage?

Sorry, its just frustrating to see such misinformation posted here.
LovePrunes and Pittie Pup like this.
Old Sep 12, 22, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by metallo View Post
This reply is all wrong also.

First, anyone spending at least 60k on Airpass and selecting CK with their status points would surely disagree with you that Airpass has nothing to do with CK.

Secondly, there was never a 50k minimum for non-Airpass invitees, even pre-COVID. How can you say its the minimum and then say, basically in the same breath, that its not the minimum and also that AA doesnt publish the minimum?

To set the record straight - theres no published minimum, except for Airpass. Furthermore, all it takes to see that the $50k pre-COVID minimum theory is false, is to look back at the data points in the CK thread from 2018 and 2019. Some posters made it with fewer than 50k EQDs, and I doubt theyre all government officials.

Also, where did you read that AA keeps a certain percentage of people in each tier? While it may be logical to assume that, theyve never announced anything like that publicly. Do you work for AAdvantage?

Sorry, its just frustrating to see such misinformation posted here.
The only misinformation being communicated is yours. I explicitly stated that AA doesn't publish minimum requirements for CK qualification. However, as a CK flyer (for nearly 10 consecutive years), I have spoken to many corporate staff who are familiar with the minimum thresholds. In addition, I don't think I could have it more clear when I previously wrote that even government officials who weren't even close to spending $50K were granted status (sorry you took such statement to be that literal to mean that it only applied to government officials). Regardless, whether you like it or not, in most cases, AA does set a minimum for consideration, but from there, not everyone who reaches such minimum is ultimately granted CK status.

Airpass is essentially a pre-paid program. There are people like myself that without Airpass, have had no trouble requalifying for CK status because we spend six figures with AA (well to be fair, my company does, not me, but I get the full perks).

Before making such embarrassing statements, I would strongly encourage you to research more. FACT: AA constantly monitors the % of flyers that they have in each loyalty tier. How do you think they decided the amount of EQDs that they gifted people last year before the transition to LPs? And how do you think that they came up with 200K LPs for EXPs in the new program?
Old Sep 12, 22, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Yeah - agree with all of the above...and while I often do long-haul on AA, I'm not that stupid to be overly loyal to them...well, unless they had a Porsche pick me up at the jetway and treat me to champagne in a private room while waiting for the next fight.
Old Sep 12, 22, 4:28 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by GaryZ View Post
Yeah - agree with all of the above...and while I often do long-haul on AA, I'm not that stupid to be overly loyal to them...well, unless they had a Porsche pick me up at the jetway and treat me to champagne in a private room while waiting for the next fight.
I got that Porsche treatment twice when Delta introduced it in 2014 back when I was mileage running all over the world for fun. I was a Diamond but definitely not a high-spender. haha

Old Sep 12, 22, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, accidental DL FO, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
The only misinformation being communicated is yours.
There is no misinformation in any of my posts, which remain accurate, as written above.

I explicitly stated that AA doesn't publish minimum requirements for CK qualification.
No you didn't. You said the minimum was $50k pre-COVID, which I told you was wrong.

I have spoken to many corporate staff who are familiar with the minimum thresholds
OK, sure, AA shares its "minimum threshold" data with the "many corporate staff" you know, and they pass along that proprietary information to you. Right. Got it.

whether you like it or not, in most cases, AA does set a minimum for consideration, but from there, not everyone who reaches such minimum is ultimately granted CK status.
Finally - a modicum of truth, although now you've gone from saying the minimum pre-COVID was $50k to AA setting a "minimum for consideration" in "most cases." That's not what you wrote before. I don't dispute that AA may have unpublished minimum thresholds, but based on data points here over the years, that apparent minimum likely varies quite a bit, even based on one's home city/airport. The $50k number you threw out as a potential blanket minimum to be even considered for CK status is simply false, and it was false pre-COVID also. Furthermore, all of this conjecture is subject to change now that Loyalty Points and credit card spend (directly or indirectly via LPs) have been thrown into the mix.

Airpass is essentially a pre-paid program. There are people like myself that without Airpass, have had no trouble requalifying for CK status because we spend six figures with AA (well to be fair, my company does, not me, but I get the full perks).
You literally said Airpass has "nothing to do" with CK, and I corrected you. I'm not sure why you felt the need to clarify to everyone that your company pays 6 figures for your flights and that you're able to obtain CK without Airpass. Most of the posters in the CK thread seem to make it without Airpass, so what's your point here?

Before making such embarrassing statements, I would strongly encourage you to research more.
It's pretty brazen to suggest that I'm embarrassing myself, when you're the one whose facts were off. Perhaps you meant something different than what you actually originally typed, but there's no need to insult a fellow CK who simply corrected your statements for the benefit of other readers.

FACT: AA constantly monitors the % of flyers that they have in each loyalty tier. How do you think they decided the amount of EQDs that they gifted people last year before the transition to LPs? And how do you think that they came up with 200K LPs for EXPs in the new program?
Again, it would be logical to assume that, but what is your source here? More corporate contacts?
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Sep 12, 22, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
LOVE that Porsche treatment...sadly I think it's another past perk. But was exciting for me.
ryanbriar and 355F1 like this.
Old Sep 12, 22, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by GaryZ View Post
LOVE that Porsche treatment...sadly I think it's another past perk. But was exciting for me.
If AA offered this it would be a VW Bus. lol
bbbb, plancast, jtav559 and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 12, 22, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
If AA offered this it would be a VW Bus. lol
I know you're joking, but AA -does- offer this -- previously, they did it with Cadillac Escalades. That changed last year when their partnership transitioned from Cadillac to Avis, and now the transfers happen in Chevy/GMC vehicles. The service itself is still basically just as nice as it used to be.
enviroian, 355F1 and donotblink like this.
Old Sep 12, 22, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by metallo View Post
There is no misinformation in any of my posts, which remain accurate, as written above.

No you didn't. You said the minimum was $50k pre-COVID, which I told you was wrong.

OK, sure, AA shares its "minimum threshold" data with the "many corporate staff" you know, and they pass along that proprietary information to you. Right. Got it.

Finally - a modicum of truth, although now you've gone from saying the minimum pre-COVID was $50k to AA setting a "minimum for consideration" in "most cases." That's not what you wrote before. I don't dispute that AA may have unpublished minimum thresholds, but based on data points here over the years, that apparent minimum likely varies quite a bit, even based on one's home city/airport. The $50k number you threw out as a potential blanket minimum to be even considered for CK status is simply false, and it was false pre-COVID also. Furthermore, all of this conjecture is subject to change now that Loyalty Points and credit card spend (directly or indirectly via LPs) have been thrown into the mix.

You literally said Airpass has "nothing to do" with CK, and I corrected you. I'm not sure why you felt the need to clarify to everyone that your company pays 6 figures for your flights and that you're able to obtain CK without Airpass. Most of the posters in the CK thread seem to make it without Airpass, so what's your point here?

It's pretty brazen to suggest that I'm embarrassing myself, when you're the one whose facts were off. Perhaps you meant something different than what you actually originally typed, but there's no need to insult a fellow CK who simply corrected your statements for the benefit of other readers.

Again, it would be logical to assume that, but what is your source here? More corporate contacts?
1: Your information is not accurate since you have ZERO evidence other than you stating that the $50K is false when you have no sources and yet you seem highly envious that AA would share more information with me. Jeez I don't know, maybe they consider me (or more realistically, my company in general) a better customer?

2 &3: Go back to my original post under #12. ANYONE can see that I wrote: "Before Covid, $50K was the minimum needed to be considered for CK, but that didn't mean that everyone who spent that minimum was granted CK status." Nowhere did I state that it was a "published threshold." In fact, I very clearly commented that "AA will never publish the actual minimum." Again, the $50K figure was based before Covid and I was told that by several AA staff. Sorry to disappoint you, but when you are spending more than double that amount, I don't have a need to ask my AA corporate contacts to give me an idea as to whether that remains the number or not. As to your sarcastic remarks, maybe you missed the memo that AA doesn't exactly have best-in-class staff and they do sometimes disclose things they shouldn't. Feel free to redirect your anger at them.

4: Wrong again. Since when do you write "finally" and then continue talking about different points? lol

5: In my case and that of my colleagues, AIRPASS has NOTHING to do with our CK status. We earned it purely by flying AA without any pre-paid program. If you have evidence proving that the majority of CKs made it through AIRPASS, I would love for you to share it, though it would directly contradict your previous statement, "
Most of the posters in the CK thread seem to make it without Airpass." Also, note that CK qualification/requalification was always subject to change, even before the introduction of LPs.

6: Surely you must know that AA has analysts, senior analysts, managers, and directors specifically assigned to its AAdvantage program. Personally, I find them to be coordinators at best, but these wonderful employees interview with other companies, get hired by other companies, and ultimately leave AA. Thus, to answer your question, no I'm not going to disclose my corporate contacts at AA, yet they aren't the only source since AA tends to support a pretty gossipy culture. These are the same unprofessional people that make claims on Linkedin on how AA is the best company and then drop it like a hot potato the second that they find a higher paying job.

7: How can something be logical when you have stated over and over that the $50K minimum is false? If that's your belief, no problem, but that doesn't change the fact that you have zero sources to support that claim. Just because people posted here that they made CK spending well under $50K doesn't make it statistically significant.

Last edited by fly747first; Sep 12, 22 at 5:25 pm
Old Sep 12, 22, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
I feel like you guys are saying pretty much the same thing in different ways, and actually mostly agree... 🤷‍♂️
Old Sep 12, 22, 7:25 pm

I usually try and use my SWUs on long-hauls. I guess I've used them occasionally on SFO-JFK if they're about to expire. Domestic lounge access via credit card.

I cannot stand UA... so if I go somewhere else, it's DL. Their partners to Asia are pretty disappointing though.
why not AS? Seems like it would be an easy transition with reciprocal benes
Old Sep 12, 22, 7:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage GLD; AGR
I fly SFO-LHR 4-6 times/year and SFO-JFK about the same. Paid J fares, always.
What about switching to BA ExecClub? Each of those segments would get you 140 tier points and ordinary BA Gold qualification (EXP equivalent) is at 1500 tier points during the course of your membership year (which doesnt match the calendar year). This calendar year until December 31st you can qualify with only 1125 tier points.

In general, BA only have a four segment requirement and the flights dont have to be BA operated they could even just be BA codeshares of AA flights.
arollins and Adelphos like this.

Search this Thread