Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking award travel for another person — exp benefits?

Booking award travel for another person — exp benefits?

Old Sep 8, 22, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by LovePrunes View Post
If you're booking it for her SOLO travel for whatever reason (vs her booking her own itinerary) by putting her AA number on the record, it'll allow her to log in and select MCE seats.
Huh? That's totally wrong. I've booked lots of award reservations for lots of family and friends over the years. They never receive any benefits of my status when traveling without me.

Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
The source of miles and status of the purchaser doesn't matter. The passenger's status is what determines the benefits they get. If the OP's mom has no status, she will not be entitled to any extra benefits.​​
Precisely.

And Ian what are you doing? Making Mom fly coach??? C'mon man!
Antarius, FAA1996, wrp96 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Herb687; Sep 8, 22 at 6:38 pm Reason: clarify
Old Sep 9, 22, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post
Huh? That's totally wrong. I've booked lots of award reservations for lots of family and friends over the years. They never receive any benefits of my status when traveling without me.

Precisely.

And Ian what are you doing? Making Mom fly coach??? C'mon man!
i assumed Mom had the EXP status and remarked I thought it was random Mom wasnt booking her own. as others have said, the source of the miles paying for the ticket dont matter.
you can't "guest" your status benefits if son is paying, just bc son is apparently EXP instead of Mom
Old Sep 12, 22, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Mom has no status. You could put a dreamliner and a CR2 in front of my mom and she wouldn't know which is which.

anyway if I had the miles I would have booked J but I only had 110K miles. I booked the itinerary in fact lhr-ord-dtw because this itinerary gets her roughly into dtw the same time I arrive from Dallas and I will have a rental car so it made logistical sense.
She has almost three hours to kill at ORD which is just fine by me and gives her time. I honestly couldn't recall whether or not at sometime in my past did I connect from Int'l to domestic there. She'll have luggage so I don't think she's going to be able to trek up to the sky train over to T3.

Recommendations?
Old Sep 12, 22, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Mom has no status. You could put a dreamliner and a CR2 in front of my mom and she wouldn't know which is which.

anyway if I had the miles I would have booked J but I only had 110K miles. I booked the itinerary in fact lhr-ord-dtw because this itinerary gets her roughly into dtw the same time I arrive from Dallas and I will have a rental car so it made logistical sense.
She has almost three hours to kill at ORD which is just fine by me and gives her time. I honestly couldn't recall whether or not at sometime in my past did I connect from Int'l to domestic there. She'll have luggage so I don't think she's going to be able to trek up to the sky train over to T3.

Recommendations?
At ORD after she's cleared customs, she'll drop her bag at the baggage recheck desk at T5, then she can take the train over to T3 and clear security there. Even if for some strange reason she couldn't drop her bags off at the bag recheck desk at T3, she can take the bags on the train over to T3.
enviroian likes this.
Old Sep 12, 22, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
At ORD after she's cleared customs, she'll drop her bag at the baggage recheck desk at T5, then she can take the train over to T3 and clear security there. Even if for some strange reason she couldn't drop her bags off at the bag recheck desk at T3, she can take the bags on the train over to T3.
Right-- I forgot about the baggage - recheck . That should work out just fine. I wouldn't expect she could lug her back up to the train however.
Old Sep 12, 22, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I wish I could waitlist my mom for J with an SWU. Too bad they aren’t valid on award travel.
Old Sep 22, 22, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My mom is flying this trip tomorrow. Guess what? I get the infamous and dreaded text from AA: "your flight tomorrow is canceled. We are working to re-accommodate you". Flight 99 to ord is canceled tomorrow for mx. I had only a few choices of getting here to DTW not at a crazy time and changed it to lhr-clt-dtw. She'll have a 3 hour layover there and won't have to screw around with ORD. Unfortunately she now gets in at 7 pm rather than 4 and I have to get an uber for her as I can't pick her up at that time.
Old Sep 22, 22, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
My mom is flying this trip tomorrow. Guess what? I get the infamous and dreaded text from AA: "your flight tomorrow is canceled. We are working to re-accommodate you". Flight 99 to ord is canceled tomorrow for mx. I had only a few choices of getting here to DTW not at a crazy time and changed it to lhr-clt-dtw. She'll have a 3 hour layover there and won't have to screw around with ORD. Unfortunately she now gets in at 7 pm rather than 4 and I have to get an uber for her as I can't pick her up at that time.
Call the EXP line and see if they will put you on DL17 (LHR-DTW nonstop). Unlikely, but you may get lucky especially given the issue is MX.
Old Sep 23, 22, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Call the EXP line and see if they will put you on DL17 (LHR-DTW nonstop). Unlikely, but you may get lucky especially given the issue is MX.
Good advice but i didn't ask and she's 4 hours from landing down at CLT
Antarius likes this.

Search this Thread