FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   What’s your percentage of time being upgraded as EXP Executive Platinum? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2093350-what-s-your-percentage-time-being-upgraded-exp-executive-platinum.html)

gowarty Sep 6, 2022 7:08 am

What’s your percentage of time being upgraded as EXP Executive Platinum?

I’m curious what your personal experience has been with complementary upgrades as EXP this past year or so. Was looking for a ballpark percentage. Also, if flying with companion, how often have they been upgraded with you? And have you seen a difference in upgrades for award tickets vs. paid ones.

I know there are many criteria and variations, but looking to learn from experienced group.

fotographer Sep 6, 2022 7:16 am

well , since you asked... on my flights where I dint not purchase J or F... its been 9/10.. the only one I missed
was ATL-MIA departing at 6.20am..... but other then that not bad.. and 2 were on award tickets too

USFlyerUS Sep 6, 2022 7:27 am

100% on the flights where I haven't paid for F.

dvs7310 Sep 6, 2022 7:28 am

I don't fly domestic very often, but for the past year mine is 100%. I haven't been there since comp upgrades started for companions but in Dec/Jan this year that was also 100% on sponsored upgrades. Again, I'm not the ideal sample but the last time I missed an AA domestic upgrade was January 2020, PIT-ORD.

Will test the system later this month, we have a few domestic flights not attached to our international tickets, but by the looks of it I'm pretty certain we'll clear most if not all of them. Worst case I burn my Amex $250 credit on check-in upgrades.

Raralith Sep 6, 2022 7:28 am

Lots of variables but I'm around 33% comp upgrades from LAX:
  • No upgrades to OGG, destination driven
  • Hit or miss to PHX, hub to hub + small planes mean F get easily sold out
  • Upgrades to LAS
I've always been #1 on waitlist though.

enviroian Sep 6, 2022 7:34 am

23%

DFW based with 180K LP.

EXP100 Sep 6, 2022 8:01 am

Me low spend EXP MIA based was getting down to near 50% so other than RJs (where as an EXP you're almost 100% to get upgraded), row 11 on the 321ceo or very short flights I'm now buying F. Despite being a low spend EXP I was often number one on the list but the cabin was already sold out at T-100 leaving me to hope for a no show/misconnect.

ghsbass0406 Sep 6, 2022 4:26 pm

There is no "ballpark percentage". Someone DFW based would have a much different ballpark percentage than someone based in MCO, for instance. I'm DFW based and I'd guess I average complimentary upgrades probably around 40-50% of the time but it's insanely hit or miss. One time I was 4th on the list from LAX-DFW on a systemwide (Connecting DFW-EZE on a confirmed SWU) and didn't clear the LAX-DFW leg. Other times I've been lucky to snag some some great complimentary upgrades such as DFW-HNL and KOA-DFW. I'm almost always successful T-100 confirming an upgrade from JFK-SFO but good luck clearing DFW-SFO. So it's just hit or miss especially if you're hub captive to DFW like I am.

Your companion should upgrade right below you on the list so if you're 1 and 2, and there are two seats, you'll be fine. Sometimes problems happen when the traveling companion has his or her own status and then the upgrade priority splits- however the Admirals club/ checkin should be able to fix that.

The only thing different with award tickets vs. paid ones is that you're below all EXP who are flying on a paid ticket. Other than that, no difference.

kg07 Sep 6, 2022 5:48 pm

Based in Miami, I’m close to 100% for the past couple of years - whenever I don’t buy J. However, I usually have a fair amount of flexibility on the specific flights I choose and I always book close to the day of travel, so I look for flights where first class still has availability and vast majority of times the upgrade seems to clear for me.

donotblink Sep 6, 2022 6:33 pm

In the high 90%…but I intentionally book flights in an effort to get upgraded…sometimes 4 days in advance

Pickles Sep 6, 2022 6:34 pm

Probably around 50%. But more than once I've been #1 on the list and not cleared.

PurpleMonkey Sep 6, 2022 7:36 pm

SFO based.

YTD: 86% (12/14 segments)
Last 12 months: 91% (21/23 segments)

It was 100% until last week! There was one other segment (SFO-DFW) I didn't get upgraded in early 2021 or late 2020. I'm also 100% on Alaska flights, except when traveling on a companion pass (0% then).

enviroian Sep 6, 2022 7:38 pm

Wow! I think I need to move :D

mosfet Sep 6, 2022 8:54 pm

JFK based and have a 100% Y-F this year between JFK and LAX (twice). Pretty rare to jump 2 cabins but there you go!

EVA Air Sep 6, 2022 8:58 pm

SEA based.

YTD:
38% (3/8) on AA.
I'm doing slightly better on AS - 43% (6/14).