Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What’s your percentage of time being upgraded as EXP Executive Platinum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What’s your percentage of time being upgraded as EXP Executive Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: AA EXP , Alaska MVP100K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GNALUZU
Just got a text from my father as he is at the airport (PHX-LAX). He is #11 on the upgrade list as Exec Plat. There are 52 people on the upgrade list. Apparently, the new LP system is making it too easy to get status now.
They are diluting EXP for sure as the bar is set too low for EXP. I am the perfect example, I decided to "chase" EXP status as I cannot get to 75K on Alaska due to my territory changed at work, so flying mostly west coast only and best I can get is MVP Gold. Well since EXP clear after 75K on Alaska, I am better off chasing EXP and then the AA flights I do take (about 30 percent of my flying) I will have better shot at clearing.

I stated "chasing" status on 08/24/2022 and by the time my credit card statement closes I will be Plat I had a lot of work charges for some upcoming seminars. By end of October credit card statement I will be Plat pro as I booked some hotel stays via AA Hotels and changed my points earning on Marriott to AA miles as I am hosting several business events at Marriott properties and 2X miles for every dollar and my events run about 7K with food A/V etc. I also have a small business that I know I have some large charges coming up, so I will be EXP within 90 days of trying and never stepped foot on AA metal during that time.

I understand AA LP scheme, its all about revenue generation, but the bar is set too low for EXP. They are going to have to raise the bar or the system will be flooded with EXP.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by remedy
Almost always X PHX=>CMH=>PHX, which is never.
I'm confused, is it always or never? Especially curious as I fly the reverse CMH->PHX->CMH a lot.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 2:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fotographer
what really bugs me about AA and the upgrade stuff... they will continue to try to sell seats in F.. even at the upgrades windows...
100hrs..etc... I understand that you want to make money.. its fine.. just tell your customers..
hey if you lucky land we dont try to up sell F until the day of the flight..you might get an upgrade
FWIW this is common with DL and UA too. It's the worst at UA where they will hold virtually every seat for sale until T-40 Minutes.

AA at least does give out upgrades at T-100. Most of mine with AA come at T-100.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by CMK10
AA at least does give out upgrades at T-100
Not out of Dallas they don't.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
I've flown about 40 segments this year; paid F/J on about 12 of them and upgraded on just one of the other ones. Typically, I'm buying Y last minute when F is sold out, so it's understandable that I'm not getting upgrades if they won't sell me the seat for $, but I'm still getting a little tired of flying in the back of the plane myself (although i've had decent odds getting exit row middles).
Old Sep 23, 2022, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
FWIW this is common with DL and UA too. It's the worst at UA where they will hold virtually every seat for sale until T-40 Minutes.

AA at least does give out upgrades at T-100. Most of mine with AA come at T-100.
Agree regarding UA. Have an upcoming Sunday am flight and saw that there are 5/9 open seats. Figured my comp’d Silver status may finally land an upgrade — list opened up and I’m 16 of 18 . DL cleared my return flight ~3 days out when there were only a few seats left. I’ve typically been getting DL upgrades as a diamond at the window.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 5:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
It's been pretty good, about 80% I'd say. Even got the rare SWU upgrades to biz going to and from TLV, although I'm still pretty sure that the return's upgrade happened because some unlucky biz pax got stuck in the horrific TLV security and check-in queues; the u/g notice on the AApp hit about five minutes before they called group 1. That cabin had been full for weeks.

The times I miss out are almost always on A319s... that rumored upgrade to 12 F seats can't come soon enough, though I did clear CLT/YYZ (A319) for Sunday as of yesterday.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVEL4SCUBA
They are diluting EXP for sure as the bar is set too low for EXP. I am the perfect example, I decided to "chase" EXP status as I cannot get to 75K on Alaska due to my territory changed at work, so flying mostly west coast only and best I can get is MVP Gold. Well since EXP clear after 75K on Alaska, I am better off chasing EXP and then the AA flights I do take (about 30 percent of my flying) I will have better shot at clearing.

I stated "chasing" status on 08/24/2022 and by the time my credit card statement closes I will be Plat I had a lot of work charges for some upcoming seminars. By end of October credit card statement I will be Plat pro as I booked some hotel stays via AA Hotels and changed my points earning on Marriott to AA miles as I am hosting several business events at Marriott properties and 2X miles for every dollar and my events run about 7K with food A/V etc. I also have a small business that I know I have some large charges coming up, so I will be EXP within 90 days of trying and never stepped foot on AA metal during that time.

I understand AA LP scheme, its all about revenue generation, but the bar is set too low for EXP. They are going to have to raise the bar or the system will be flooded with EXP.
From what we know about AA's finances, they probably love the "flood of EXPs" as you call it, who don't even get on their planes. If all these people are making EXP without flying much, they're not competing for your upgrade, so nothing anyone needs to be frustrated about.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP , Alaska MVP100K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
From what we know about AA's finances, they probably love the "flood of EXPs" as you call it, who don't even get on their planes. If all these people are making EXP without flying much, they're not competing for your upgrade, so nothing anyone needs to be frustrated about.
i will absolutely start flying AA more once I hit exp , so yes . Then another newly minted exp to compete with that did very little to gain the status.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by enviroian
My DFW-CMH % is 100, and it's almost always at my upgrade window opening. Just gotta fly to Columbus is the only thing.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 5:59 pm

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
Change in fortunes (EXP @ 220k) over the last week and a half.

8 segments, DFW CLT etc. Pretty much, every flight went out totally zeroed, according to EF

50%.

Died #1 on the list when not upgraded; when upgraded, it happened when was I was walking to the gate, so, T -5 minutes.

All the best, James

PS - and just what was up with BNA (Nashville)?. both flights were J0 weeks in advance.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 8:50 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
As an SFO EX Plat for 10 years, and at the cusp of renewing again, I’m at 90% or so, typically at the 100 hour mark or battlefield UG, not much in the middle. This year my flying segments on AA and OW is pretty low, about 50 or so.

Originally Posted by tomj888
We typically fly LAX-LHR nonstop twice a year. None of my SWU's has cleared until day of departure. Next flight is on 9/29 and there are 4 seats in F (we paid I class) and I cannot get them to release. Same thing on the return.
I have two LHR trips in December and two of the four flights I was able to confirm at booking, but I strategically booked what I could UG. The other two cleared within a month of booking, those were I fare class, the first two were coach. These were all booked in April as I was trying to redeem my soon to be expiring SWU like everyone else.

On a side note I too am flying on the 29th but I think we’re not on the same LAX-LHR as mine only has one F for sale, and yes I’m waitlisted too. Hoping all of our flights clear.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 6:12 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
My DFW-CMH % is 100, and it's almost always at my upgrade window opening. Just gotta fly to Columbus is the only thing.
I'm 3/3 on DFW-RDU at the T-100 window this year.

Meanwhile, I cleared RDU-LGA-CLE for this afternoon at T-100 thus making me 84.71% (72/85) on the year.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I'm 3/3 on DFW-RDU at the T-100 window this year.

Meanwhile, I cleared RDU-LGA-CLE for this afternoon at T-100 thus making me 84.71% (72/85) on the year.
You must have much higher LP than me then. I just passed 200K LP and my upgrade rate has dropped to the high teens.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 9:09 am

You must have much higher LP than me then. I just passed 200K LP and my upgrade rate has dropped to the high teens.
I am below 200K LP and I am nailing over 80%.

This weekend TPA-DCA and DCA-ORD during a lot of folks escaping Tampa I was 100% before check-in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.