Where have all the late flights gone?

Old Aug 28, 22, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Where have all the late flights gone?

I fly CLT - MCO every week. Over the past month or so, all the evening flights have disappeared. The latest departure is 5:30 from MCO. It makes it hard to get a full day of work in. Iíve noticed the same for surrounding airports (JAX, TPA, DAB). Maybe itís just the days I fly (Tues/Wed) but seems it would be better for some to leave an hour or so later. Iím left with the option of leaving work early or taking either NK or F9 leaving around 10pm.
Spanish likes this.
Old Aug 28, 22, 8:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage
On slower days like Tue, Wed and Saturday AA often doesn't have later flights. Likely the late night bank of flights at CLT is also reduced during those days, which means fewer late flights from spokes. You could maybe look at a MCO/MIA/CLT routing as MIA likely retains a late flight back to CLT 7x.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Aug 28, 22, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by EXP100 View Post
On slower days like Tue, Wed and Saturday AA often doesn't have later flights. Likely the late night bank of flights at CLT is also reduced during those days, which means fewer late flights from spokes. You could maybe look at a MCO/MIA/CLT routing as MIA likely retains a late flight back to CLT 7x.
There has been a 7pm flight for yearsÖjust seems strange, but maybe has to do with staffing? There is a 7pm via MIA, but really hate the thought of backtracking, but it is what it isÖsafe travels
Old Aug 28, 22, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
"Gone to graveyards, every one..."
ryanbriar, Moderator2 and SJOGuy like this.
Old Aug 28, 22, 8:48 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA View Post
"Gone to graveyards, every one..."
Oh, boy. I'm old.
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Aug 28, 22, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpencerC11 View Post
There has been a 7pm flight for years…just seems strange, but maybe has to do with staffing? There is a 7pm via MIA, but really hate the thought of backtracking, but it is what it is…safe travels
7PM MCO-CLT flight did not operate on Tue and Wed throughout July and early August according to flightaware.com. Also looks to not have operated daily at other points this year. It is currently scheduled as 4x weekly operating on Sun/Mon/Thu/Fri for September and October (except 9/8 and 9/15) and returning to daily in November. September and October are slower travel months along with Tue/Wed/Sat travel.

Old Aug 28, 22, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA CK, AC SE100K, BA Silver, accidental DL FO, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, AmEx PLT
I fly CLT - MCO every week. Over the past month or so, all the evening flights have disappeared. The latest departure is 5:30 from MCO. It makes it hard to get a full day of work in. I’ve noticed the same for surrounding airports (JAX, TPA, DAB). Maybe it’s just the days I fly (Tues/Wed) but seems it would be better for some to leave an hour or so later. I’m left with the option of leaving work early or taking either NK or F9 leaving around 10pm.
I've flown through DFW on some Tuesday and Wednesday nights the past year or so, and I can't believe how sparse the late night schedule is compared to pre-COVID... times have definitely changed.
doc4science and Spanish like this.
Old Aug 29, 22, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
I fly CLT - MCO every week. Over the past month or so, all the evening flights have disappeared. The latest departure is 5:30 from MCO. It makes it hard to get a full day of work in. Iíve noticed the same for surrounding airports (JAX, TPA, DAB). Maybe itís just the days I fly (Tues/Wed) but seems it would be better for some to leave an hour or so later. Iím left with the option of leaving work early or taking either NK or F9 leaving around 10pm.
Originally Posted by metallo View Post
I've flown through DFW on some Tuesday and Wednesday nights the past year or so, and I can't believe how sparse the late night schedule is compared to pre-COVID... times have definitely changed.
I was looking at Expert Flyer regarding the situation here at CMH and have found similarities for all flights to and from the hubs. Every hub has less flights, some significantly. ORD and CLT used to be 8-9 returns daily, now it's 4 or 5. MIA only has 1 flight, PHL has only 1 flight on many days. JFK is lucky to get 2.

It's quite unfortunate and not pleasant. All of the early crew buyouts for retirement have caused a snowball effect.

Sounds like we've all been hosed and it's not fun at all...

Search this Thread