Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

3-class first being discontinued? [Twitter / travel blog reports]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3-class first being discontinued? [Twitter / travel blog reports]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2022, 3:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton DMD, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
A potentially amazing product that AA has never nailed.

FFD is amazing, but they don't seem to advertise it. They never once have told me about it during checkin when I've flown F, in fact many times I've had to ask specifically for an invite at the FL.

Skipping the meal on the redeye and then hitting FFD is my favorite way to cross the country. Second favorite is Jetblue Mint with a throne seat - good food in flight (at the cost of sleep time), and good cocktails, unlike AA.

The blaring commercials after takeoff and lack of upkeep of power outlets shows that they just don't care about making the plane a premium experience anymore.
cmd320, rt23456p and madmanshoney like this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by bgasser
As someone who flies the JFK-SNA A321T, FFD is not very valuable. The flight departs JFK at 9:30 AM and arrives back at JFK at 10:00 PM. Not times people want to sit down for a meal.
Lots of people sit down for breakfast around 8am. If you do that in JFK FFD, then finish at 8:45 and board the flight, that sounds perfect. How is 8am a bad time for breakfast?
Old Aug 28, 2022, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Lots of people sit down for breakfast around 8am. If you do that in JFK FFD, then finish at 8:45 and board the flight, that sounds perfect. How is 8am a bad time for breakfast?
Especially when one has probably been up since 5 am for the travel day.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:44 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I will not miss the so called AA "First Class"!
Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Breakfast isn't a big meal for me. I get a toasted bagel, some fruit, and bacon in the FL. For me, FFD is valuable if you can get a dinner/late lunch service. Seems weird to eat a large breakfast in FFD then get served the American Breakfast in F.
beachfan and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Breakfast isn't a big meal for me. I get a toasted bagel, some fruit, and bacon in the FL. For me, FFD is valuable if you can get a dinner/late lunch service. Seems weird to eat a large breakfast in FFD then get served the American Breakfast in F.
There's a marked difference in quality between the two. Eat in the FL and skip the one on the plane.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
All the breakfasts on this airline are American Breakfasts . That's kind of the point of FFD (designed primarily for long haul int'l) - eat now, rest on plane.
ryanbriar and Arsey00 like this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 9:33 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
I would prefer they keep it - will I miss it much? No - I did like the time AA flights operated out of T5 in LHR and one could use the CCR for those. I had a couple flights this year where F was cheaper than J - especially if booked through BA
Old Aug 29, 2022, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton DMD, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
This could be OT from the subject of Flagship First Removal, but another compelling benefit of the "protected" F cabin is that one can often buy an F ticket for any flight of the day, and then, day of, switch to pretty much any departure, even when J is sold out across the day.

But there are certainly ways of emulating this sans-F - holding a few seats for changes day of and bumping fares up to F-level for those last few seats. But that's not as visible a way of doing it.

Not even sure if that's a widely perceived feature of FF!
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't seen this from a reputable source yet (sorry, front page of FT, you don't qualify) but it would not surprise me too much if true. The Business Plus product doesn't really make that much sense in conjunction with F.

Having said that, I thought that AA's JV with BA required them to sell a true F cabin. How will their revenue splitting work if the cabins don't match up?
Arsey00 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Originally Posted by tomj888
This is supposed to happen as A321XLR's come on board in 2024. I happen to enjoy the extra space and less crowded cabin. I've had the privilege of flying F TATL on the 773. I'm seldom expect haute cuisine from any airline. Turkish is the outlier there. Amazing food. But their hard product is dated for sure. At 6'3" size 14 shoe many of the new PODS have small footwells. Again the exception in this case is JAL with their ottoman foot wells (777's). So I will miss the extra space. Maybe AA's upcoming hard product will offer something like Jet Blue, where Row1 will be/have a much bigger footprint. I'll bet
AA could monetize too. I'd pay for a bigger space for sure. Would you?
If I remember correctly, UA’s A321 XLR’s will offer 1 x 1 business, 2 x 2 premium economy, and 3 x 3 economy plus and economy. Does anyone know if AA will be doing something similar? As someone who flies solo the majority of the time, a 2 x 2 business doesn’t work for me on a red-eye transcon or an international flight.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I haven't seen this from a reputable source yet (sorry, front page of FT, you don't qualify) but it would not surprise me too much if true. The Business Plus product doesn't really make that much sense in conjunction with F.

Having said that, I thought that AA's JV with BA required them to sell a true F cabin. How will their revenue splitting work if the cabins don't match up?
I think that formula will be fairly straightforward - all F revenue goes to BA!
Old Aug 30, 2022, 3:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by spanishflea
I think that formula will be fairly straightforward - all F revenue goes to BA!
How appropriate for this thread! After all, BA F is the "world's greatest business class." (Even that is highly debatable).

-FlyerBeek
cmd320 and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 3:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The Business Plus product doesn't really make that much sense in conjunction with F.
When they announced Business Plus my assumption was that it is a transition product where they will stop selling First Class but allow Business Plus passengers access to First Class seats and FFD until they are fully retrofitted out of the system. That seems like a pretty common tactic (e.g. full-fare J customers on Asiana can select the formerly first class suites as their seats on the A380, but those on discount business class fares can't).
Old Aug 30, 2022, 3:56 am
formerly rt23456p

I just never understand the economics of running reverse herringbone onboard narrowbody at 1-1, why not run Apex instead, Apex provides way better passenger comfort as it is originally designed as a high-density first class seat compared to reverse herringbone yet can achieve higher density on a narrowbody.
Arsey00 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.