Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Will AA protect me if QF cancels on AA award?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will AA protect me if QF cancels on AA award?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2022, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pochama
https://www.qantas.com/au/en/qantas-...t-network.html

Looking at this, it says the SYD-HND route begins 12 September 2022, subject to borders. It's a risky proposition IMO.

https://twitter.com/konotaromp/statu...66716991086592

This recent tweet by Kono Taro indicates the dropping of PCR test requirement for triple vaxed passengers on 07 September, but is that enough to justify resuming flights without the visa waiver? My gut says no.
good point although i believe QF will start it for the Japanese. Don't forget that japanese need not take any tests, nor be vaccinated to visit Australia. JL and NH have been pretty full going to SYD. QF just wants in on the action.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lrdpenn
Do you have UA or *A miles, or can you get some? ANA seems wide open HND-SYD the week of Sep 17. I would book a backup if I were you. Highly risky made significantly more complicated if you cannot enter Japan
not really. not a single J award space HND-SYD
Old Aug 26, 2022, 12:32 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by libuser
not really. not a single J award space HND-SYD
You are right, I was looking at Y. But if you really don’t have other options, maybe that Y award is better than canceling the trip or an expensive cash fare
Old Aug 26, 2022, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lrdpenn
You are right, I was looking at Y. But if you really don’t have other options, maybe that Y award is better than canceling the trip or an expensive cash fare
well y is readily available on most airlines today or tomorrow so i could book that a day before departure so yea if that happens thats what ill do.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

I spoke with a sup this morning that told me that if that happens and QF will not find an alternative for me to fly they will make space on AA's own metal since I used their miles. He already noted my PNR and basically if they cancel they will re-accommodate me on the LAX-SYD route for the same price(40k) regardless if they have saver space or not. AA rocks, that way I will cancel my DL award and just have them rebook me on the nonstop. Now I hope they cancel that route for when I travel. Win-win situation
Old Aug 28, 2022, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I spoke with a sup this morning that told me that if that happens and QF will not find an alternative for me to fly they will make space on AA's own metal since I used their miles. He already noted my PNR and basically if they cancel they will re-accommodate me on the LAX-SYD route for the same price(40k) regardless if they have saver space or not. AA rocks, that way I will cancel my DL award and just have them rebook me on the nonstop. Now I hope they cancel that route for when I travel. Win-win situation
That seems bizarre. Your ticket with AA is only HND-SYD, and particularly with your TPAC flight not being on AA or even Oneworld, it seems odd they would force open space to rebook you from LAX. I hope he did actually document the record.
wrp96, js1993 and Peter Snijder like this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
That seems bizarre. Your ticket with AA is only HND-SYD, and particularly with your TPAC flight not being on AA or even Oneworld, it seems odd they would force open space to rebook you from LAX. I hope he did actually document the record.
well i let him know that i am flying DL LAX-HND and without the onward flight, DL would deny me boarding for sure(and I would hold them liable since this is a 001 ticket). Under the circumstances it would only make sense for them to alter the ticket to fly on their metal. I do not see anything bizarre in that. They have protected me on their metal and opened up space many times before when partners were not able to(irrops, cancelations etc)
Old Aug 28, 2022, 5:09 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
well i let him know that i am flying DL LAX-HND and without the onward flight, DL would deny me boarding for sure(and I would hold them liable since this is a 001 ticket). Under the circumstances it would only make sense for them to alter the ticket to fly on their metal. I do not see anything bizarre in that. They have protected me on their metal and opened up space many times before when partners were not able to(irrops, cancelations etc)
Hard to imagine AA honoring this if your circumstances become unfavorable. The part about Delta denying you boarding doesn't seem to be AA's problem, since you not only chose the routing through Japan but booked it away from AA. Not sure why "it would only make sense" for AA to fly you across the Pacific for free as a result, especially when, as noted above, you have other options for HND-SYD, albeit not options you love.
Mwenenzi and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by js1993
Hard to imagine AA honoring this if your circumstances become unfavorable. The part about Delta denying you boarding doesn't seem to be AA's problem, since you not only chose the routing through Japan but booked it away from AA. Not sure why "it would only make sense" for AA to fly you across the Pacific for free as a result, especially when, as noted above, you have other options for HND-SYD, albeit not options you love.
thats where elite status comes into the equation. In any case I am very satisfied with the outcome. This move alone will make me spend more money on AA.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 5:21 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Have an award ticket booked long time ago on QF26 HND-SYD. Flight is in about 3 weeks. ...
I spoke with a sup this morning that told me that if that happens and QF will not find an alternative for me to fly they will make space on AA's own metal ...
AA's own metal doesn't start flying to SYD until late October, or did AA move it up?

Just searched the last week of Sept. and found nothing on AA.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by js1993
AA's own metal doesn't start flying to SYD until late October, or did AA move it up?

Just searched the last week of Sept. and found nothing on AA.
rats. We didnt even check. Looks like if this does not fly the only thing to do it to just delay it to next year. I will take them up on their offer will just push it.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 5:41 pm

rats. We didnt even check. Looks like if this does not fly the only thing to do it to just delay it to next year. I will take them up on their offer will just push it.
AA isn't going to rebook you LAX-SYD in J for 40,000 AA miles many months later. It was unlikely AA would have done so in the situation you described, but it's impossible to imagine AA doing so as a voluntary rebooking many months later. AA is selling that route for ~$9,000 or ~400,000 miles.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 11:07 am
Original Poster

fwiw flight operated as expected and DL had zero issues issuing the BP upon providing connecting flight. QF was amazing as expected. Mask compliance was non-existent in HND even though I expected them to be fully masked up. Overall an amazing trip.
galaticos likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.