Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Aadvantage points consistently being under-credited

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2022, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Maybe it's just me (is it??) but I'm noticing Aadvantage e-shopping is getting worse & worse about crediting purchases. For the month of August I have 6 purchases through their portal, all done from a laptop using Chrome. Two have been credited, four haven't. This type of thing has been going on for months. Seems like I have to track every purchase and write in about at least half of the. Anyone else?

Also I've just started flying again. I had an international itinerary in business class on QR, marketed through AA. Midway through the itinerary I hit Gold status. I was supposed to get a cabin bonus for PHL-DOH legs, I didn't. I should have gotten the gold 40% bonus on my DOH-ORD return, I didn't.

So here's the itinerary - PHL-DOH-SEZ outbound, SEZ-DOH-ORD-PHL return. I hit gold on the SEZ - DOH leg on the return. AA credited the DOH-ORD flight first, and then a few days later credited the SEZ-DOH flight. They gave me the gold bonus on ORD-PHL, but neither of the other legs. I called and asked for it to be applied on the DOH-ORD and was told it would be requested. 10 days later nothing happened, so I called back, and after about 30 mins on the phone and back and forth between the agent & supervisor, I was told I wouldn't get the gold on DOH-ORD because it was credited (not flown!) before the SEZ-DOH. It seemed to take the rep a while to understand that OF COURSE SEZ-DOH was flown first, either look at the ticket date or use common sense!! But regardless, no bonus. OK-so then why no gold on SEZ-DOH since they stated that I qualified for gold on DOH-ORD? OK, we'll look into that (after an argument when I was told that the "bonus" was gold, and I had to point out it was a cabin class bonus, because the points were the same on outbound and return!

So next I called in to ask whether I should have gotten cabin class bonus on the PHL-DOH and DOH-ORD legs. Rep says I should have, and puts it in for review.

Today I check - they had DELETED my DOH-ORD leg entirely from my account! Phone call #3; rep says it's being worked on. An hour later it's back, with the gold bonus they said I wasn't going to get - but no cabin class bonus!!

I'm giving them a couple of days for the cabin class bonus, and then calling yet again.

But here's the point - they are "losing" more and more of the Aadvantage e-shopping transactions (which, oddly enough show up on store visits, but are not credited to my account until I wait the requisite 15 days and then email to ask). They didn't give cabin bonus. They didn't give gold bonus. Off the top of my head this is going to add up to over 20k loyalty points.

Anyone else finding they are consistently being shorted on their Loyalty Points?

Last edited by erdoran; Aug 23, 2022 at 9:46 am
Old Aug 23, 2022, 12:15 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
The eShopping inconsistencies have been happening since the program rolled out. I did the same as you - spreadsheet to track purchases and have had a few that took a few requests to get posted.

Some vendors are great and quick about posting. Others, not so much.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Since the first month when I didn't understand how the ad blockers were causing problems, I've had zero problems with my giftcard purchases being credited properly.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Flight crediting has nothing to do with AAdvantage eshopping
Old Aug 23, 2022, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
Flight crediting has nothing to do with AAdvantage eshopping
I know. Two separate systems. My point is that AA loyalty points seem to be CONSISTENTLY under-reported both through the shopping portal AND flight bonuses, at least for me. I'm curious as to whether this is a pattern. And I'm not talking about an occasional order, but a high percentage, at least of mine. And almost my entire itinerary for cabin/status bonus--at least this ought to be automatic and not require multiple phone calls.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 2:18 pm
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by erdoran

Also I've just started flying again. I had an international itinerary in business class on QR, marketed through AA. Midway through the itinerary I hit Gold status. I was supposed to get a cabin bonus for PHL-DOH legs, I didn't. I should have gotten the gold 40% bonus on my DOH-ORD return, I didn't.

Today I check - they had DELETED my DOH-ORD leg entirely from my account! Phone call #3; rep says it's being worked on. An hour later it's back, with the gold bonus they said I wasn't going to get - but no cabin class bonus!!

I'm giving them a couple of days for the cabin class bonus, and then calling yet again.
If the flight was marketed by AA, meaning you flew an AA flight # on QR metal, your LP calculation should be the same as though you flew AA (fair paid x status), with no class of service bonus.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ines/qatar.jsp
Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Qatar Airways will earn AAdvantage® miles and Loyalty Points according to the American mileage accrual chart.
USFlyerUS, Antarius and erdoran like this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DreAAmliner
If the flight was marketed by AA, meaning you flew an AA flight # on QR metal, your LP calculation should be the same as though you flew AA (fair paid x status), with no class of service bonus.

Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Qatar Airways will earn AAdvantage® miles and Loyalty Points according to the American mileage accrual chart.
Thank you. I looked up the AA mileage accrual chart because the QR chart shows me earning 150%, and of course you are right. A sad commentary on AA reps, because the phone rep told me I was entitled to the extra 50% because I was business R fare. So then they just shorted me my Gold points, which they finally gave me.
_kurt likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I know. Two separate systems. My point is that AA loyalty points seem to be CONSISTENTLY under-reported both through the shopping portal AND flight bonuses, at least for me. I'm curious as to whether this is a pattern. And I'm not talking about an occasional order, but a high percentage, at least of mine. And almost my entire itinerary for cabin/status bonus--at least this ought to be automatic and not require multiple phone calls.
There are a few vendors that take forever (Marriott and large GC purchases) and a couple that track but don't post (Moo and a couple others reported), but no major widespread issues AFAIK. See: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...issues-93.html

I've had maybe 30 eShopping transactions post, 2 Rocketmiles and 25 flights with one vendor requiring write in.

Originally Posted by DreAAmliner

This. QR operated, AA marketed will be treated as an AA flight and will not have a cabin bonus. On the return, you should get the gold bonus (assuming AA Marketed again), however many airlines don't handle status changes mid trip very well. On AA if you are EXP when you book and no status when you fly, unless you remove and re-add the number or the reservation changes, ou'll fly that specific flight as an EXP (and vice versa). Write in to AAdvantage CS for this.
erdoran and AAway like this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 6:59 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
It's not systemic. I've had 68 shopping portal purchases this year, only one of which didn't ultimately post. Check out the Cartera thread for tips on how use the cleanest browser for best tracking. All my flights have posted correctly too, though most were not codeshares.
Antarius likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 7:59 am
Original Poster

You guys are great, THANK YOU! Especially the explanation about the cabin bonus.

So let me doublecheck something if you don't mind. I have the following itinerary, bought through the Iberia website, all segments are business I class. What cabin bonus should I expect? AA tells me that I'll get cabin bonus for all legs, but the same rep told me I was entitled to cabin bonus for that last itinerary which you guys pointed out I wasn't. Will be good to know what I should look for (or not):

IB7324, operated by BA, PHL-LHR
IB3163, operated by IB, LHR-MAD
IB7903, operated by QR, MAD-DOH
IB2494, operated by QR, DOH-MLE
IB2493, operated by QR, MLE-DOH
IB7900, operated by QR, DOH-MAD
IB4675, operated by AA, MAD-PHL

I know, crazy itinerary - gave the best fare where I could get AA miles/points and I was able to pay with IB gift cards purchased from IB at 15% off.

Thanks in advance for any info - sad that I have to come here rather than to AA for accurate info.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Sad you can’t get either TATL on QR!
Old Aug 24, 2022, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Snuggs
Sad you can’t get either TATL on QR!
Amen to that one! Just back from Seychelles with TATL both ways on QR, quite the experience. But to buy through IB I had to route through MAD. I could have paid the same for JetBlue with a straight shot PHL-DOH-MLE but I would NOT have gotten AA LPs.
Snuggs likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Hijacking this thread for a similar issue: I flew two legs on BA, on a ticket I bought from AA. They appear to have credited me using the miles and cabin formula, not the price of the ticket. How do I fix this?
Old Sep 24, 2022, 11:13 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Originally Posted by ckendall
Hijacking this thread for a similar issue: I flew two legs on BA, on a ticket I bought from AA. They appear to have credited me using the miles and cabin formula, not the price of the ticket. How do I fix this?
Were they BA flight numbers or AA flight numbers? BA flight numbers bought on an AA ticket (001) credit using the miles formula, not the fare formula.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
You guys are great, THANK YOU! Especially the explanation about the cabin bonus.

So let me doublecheck something if you don't mind. I have the following itinerary, bought through the Iberia website, all segments are business I class. What cabin bonus should I expect? AA tells me that I'll get cabin bonus for all legs, but the same rep told me I was entitled to cabin bonus for that last itinerary which you guys pointed out I wasn't. Will be good to know what I should look for (or not):

IB7324, operated by BA, PHL-LHR
IB3163, operated by IB, LHR-MAD
IB7903, operated by QR, MAD-DOH
IB2494, operated by QR, DOH-MLE
IB2493, operated by QR, MLE-DOH
IB7900, operated by QR, DOH-MAD
IB4675, operated by AA, MAD-PHL

I know, crazy itinerary - gave the best fare where I could get AA miles/points and I was able to pay with IB gift cards purchased from IB at 15% off.

Thanks in advance for any info - sad that I have to come here rather than to AA for accurate info.

Good luck -- 3 of 5 flights I took with Iberia this year I've had to manually request credit... still waiting on the most recent one from August. IB has had this problem for years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.