Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Gary Leff gets ConciergeKey and now Posts good things about AA (LoL)

Old Aug 21, 2022, 9:33 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb

Pretty funny that he is normally highly critical (and rightfully so in many instances) of AA but now posts 5 Reasons To Be Excited About American Airlines:

​​​​​​https://viewfromthewing.com/5-reason...m=BoardingArea

5 Reasons To Be Excited About American Airlines

by Gary Leff on August 21, 2022
I have offered many focused criticisms of American Airlines over the past several years. Ive long been of the belief that there is no U.S. airline with more potential to be better than it is today. But in the interest of fairness and balance I wanted to offer 5 reasons to be genuinely excited about American Airlines. They are the airline I fly most, and Ive been at least an Executive Platinum member of their AAdvantage program for more than a decade...

I don't even think that the reasons he posted are even close to being excited about.

for this article Gary Leff.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 9:37 pm

Amazing what given CK will do for your view from the wing

lost all credibility in my mind.
Markie, lsquare, bse118 and 10 others like this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 9:52 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
This guys calls himself a Thought Leader.

hahaha

Did he ever get around to mentioning the 7/31 SWU-expiration fiasco?
Antarius likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 9:55 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Easier elite status that respects customers
hahaha

Discussion and data points: SWUs lost on July 31, 2022 due to long wait times, etc.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
What is wrong with Gary's post? All his points are valid. Comparing to mainline competitors, the 5 topics are clear differentiators for AA.

Of course, this all assumes they have their operational stuff together - big assumption

Last edited by aztimm; Aug 22, 2022 at 10:18 am Reason: FT Rule #16, use of offensive language (masking is not permitted): https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules#offensive
Old Aug 21, 2022, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by DFW_CK
What is wrong with Gary's post? All his points are valid. Comparing to mainline competitors, the 5 topics are clear differentiators for AA.

Of course, this all assumes they have their operational $hit together - big assumption
That last sentence is the thing. It's an absurd article to post at a time when AA is canceling more flights than any other airline. AA's operations are quite likely at their lowest point ever. The idea that people should be excited about new J seats in 2024 or FFD that even most people here have never enjoyed is laughable.

AA does have some great partners, but "You can redeem AA miles on partners so you don't have to fly AA!" is a rather odd "compliment."
rt23456p and Peter Snijder like this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DFW_CK
His tone has taken a dramatic turn since his CK status, that's the issue. Points are valid, but they were never presented like they're the solution to world hunger like they are now.

If he's going to be a shill, some disclosure is necessary.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 12:29 am

Hes a bought and paid for shill of whatever airline or hotel will give him special treatment. His articles in last few years have been wildly click bait or just plain designed to drive division for eyeballs, very little useful posts. Years ago he wrote useful stuff but thats been over for a long time.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by 355F1
Pretty funny that he is normally highly critical (and rightfully so in many instances) of AA but now posts 5 Reasons To Be Excited About American Airlines:

​​​​​​https://viewfromthewing.com/5-reason...m=BoardingArea

5 Reasons To Be Excited About American Airlines

by Gary Leff on August 21, 2022
I have offered many focused criticisms of American Airlines over the past several years. Ive long been of the belief that there is no U.S. airline with more potential to be better than it is today. But in the interest of fairness and balance I wanted to offer 5 reasons to be genuinely excited about American Airlines. They are the airline I fly most, and Ive been at least an Executive Platinum member of their AAdvantage program for more than a decade...

I don't even think that the reasons he posted are even close to being excited about.

for this article Gary Leff.
Pathetic but not any different than all the other bloggers out there. Frankly, CK just gets me better treatment, but I still have to put up with AA's horrible operational performance and lousy onboard food.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 1:04 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I think the part you're missing is HOW he got CK. He got it due to the SimplyMiles fiasco, as did the other's who bought several million miles. Maybe he's trying to butter up AA so he can keep it past March.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
If AA gifts me ConciergeKey, I promise I'll write positive posts about AA on FlyerTalk. PM me!
Old Aug 22, 2022, 1:35 am
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by lsquare
If AA gifts me ConciergeKey, I promise I'll write positive posts about AA on FlyerTalk. PM me!
I will do that only for Exec Plat! AA PM Me
scoonee, Fims, lsquare and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I'm a fan of Gary's. He has been a very valuable member here for over 20 years, and has personally provided me with help and advice on more than one occaasion. While I don't subscribe to his column, I do check it from time to time and find it to be generally objective and informative.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 7:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage
If AA comped me CK I'd probably be excited about AA too.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA
Is he "travel consultant" that was banned by United?
rt23456p likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.