Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Short Check my luggage to PHL rather than to LHR on BA

Old Aug 19, 22, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-LT Gold 1.2MM ,DL, Marriott LT TITANIUM; HH Gold, AMEX PLT

I have a 1 hour and 10 min connection in PHL from AA to BA. After my last experience with transferring my luggage from AA to BA I am reluctant to do so again. My luggage almost went to Nairobi instead of Berlin. I would like to short check my luggage in JAX to PHL and then recheck it at the BA counter. The problem is that my connection time is only 1 hour and 10 minutes. This means I have to collect my luggage, Recheck it and then go through security again and hopefully make the connection to LHR.
Do you think it is wise to do this or just take my chances?
Thanks
Old Aug 19, 22, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by tbrein View Post
No.

BA check-in closes 60 mins prior to departure best I can tell so you'd be leaving essentially 10 mins from the scheduled arrival time to head to baggage claim, claim your bags, then rush to the BA check-in counters to drop them off again. Ain't gonna happen.

That stinks that your bags evidently got screwed up on your last trip, however under normal circumstances if the bags are tagged correctly then it will be no problem for them to make the flight with 1:10 at PHL.
Old Aug 19, 22, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Nowhere near enough time. However, I've transferred bags many times AA to BA and have never had an issue.
Antarius likes this.
Old Aug 20, 22, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. Will just hope that the bags make the connection.
Old Aug 20, 22, 12:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
I have a 1 hour and 10 min connection in PHL from AA to BA. After my last experience with transferring my luggage from AA to BA I am reluctant to do so again. My luggage almost went to Nairobi instead of Berlin. I would like to short check my luggage in JAX to PHL and then recheck it at the BA counter. The problem is that my connection time is only 1 hour and 10 minutes. This means I have to collect my luggage, Recheck it and then go through security again and hopefully make the connection to LHR.
Thanks
What does almost went Nairobi mean? It either did or didnt. Does AA fly to Nairobi? If previous itinerary was AA to LHR and BA to Berlin, thats LHR baggage ops not PHL.
Mwenenzi and SJOGuy like this.
Old Aug 20, 22, 1:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Agree that trying to recheck is a bad idea. One precaution can take (should always take, actually) is to make sure you see the bag tags and that the destination is correct. Some airlines/locations have a standard practice of proactively pointing out the destination on the bag take.
ryanbriar and seawolf like this.
Old Aug 20, 22, 2:52 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I don’t think this is a good idea even if you have enough time. You are essentially doubling the risk of something going wrong.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 22, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Does AA even permit short-checking these days?
ashill likes this.
Old Aug 20, 22, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Does AA even permit short-checking these days?
if its an international flight into the US, youll have to pick up your luggage at customs even if you have a connecting flight
Old Aug 20, 22, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
You really wouldn't have a prayer. For one thing, to get from the arrivals side to the departures side you'll have to cross the train platform, and I'm not totally sure how to do that. Second, the BA check-in is in Terminal A, and while some AA domestic flights come into A, most go into B or C. There are no customs issues to go from domestic to international, and AA will have bag tracking in the app so in the unlikely event your bag isn't properly loaded you'll at least be able to address it quickly. You might also consider getting a Tile or AirTag for your bag, which will help you keep track of it.
Old Aug 20, 22, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by nd2010 View Post
if its an international flight into the US, youll have to pick up your luggage at customs even if you have a connecting flight
Yes, but the OP is traveling in the opposite direction: JAX-PHL-LHR.
Old Aug 20, 22, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
What does almost went Nairobi mean? It either did or didn’t. Does AA fly to Nairobi? If previous itinerary was AA to LHR and BA to Berlin, that’s LHR baggage ops not PHL.
We were flying from JAX-ORD-LHR-TXL. In ORD we were flying on BA. i notified the BA rep in the FC lounge that our bags needed to be transferred from AA. She nodded but really seemed like she did not care. Upon arrival in TXL our bags were not there. We filed a claim. We were told they would be on the next flight to Berlin. They were not. The next morning I received a text that they would be on the evening flight on Air Kenya to my final destination—Nairobi. Many phone calls later we were able to get our luggage rerouted to Berlin.
Obviously, I don’t want a repeat performance. The bags were tagged correctly. i am not sure why I received that text. We spent three hours in the Berlin Airport while they searched for our luggage. Two days wasted. They never made the connection in ORD even though there was plenty of time.
seawolf likes this.
Old Aug 20, 22, 6:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
We were flying from JAX-ORD-LHR-TXL. In ORD we were flying on BA. i notified the BA rep in the FC lounge that our bags needed to be transferred from AA. She nodded but really seemed like she did not care. Upon arrival in TXL our bags were not there. We filed a claim. We were told they would be on the next flight to Berlin. They were not. The next morning I received a text that they would be on the evening flight on Air Kenya to my final destinationNairobi. Many phone calls later we were able to get our luggage rerouted to Berlin.
Obviously, I dont want a repeat performance. The bags were tagged correctly. i am not sure why I received that text. We spent three hours in the Berlin Airport while they searched for our luggage. Two days wasted. They never made the connection in ORD even though there was plenty of time.
ORD agent didnt care because if the bag is tagged correctly theres not much for them to do. Its up to baggage handling downstairs to do their job; not up to front line agent upstairs to tell them to do their job. I dont believe Air Kenya flies to ORD so I would speculate AA mishandled the bag at ORD and it took another flight to LHR where it was mishandled a second time.

As others have chimed in, I wouldnt risk it even if BA dont close check-in much later than mentioned earlier. You are committed if AA does short check. What if outbound is delayed after leaving departing gate at JAX leaving you 35 min at PHL (barely enough time to transit airside but it means you have to abandon bag at PHL baggage claim)?

By going landslide, you also put yourself at risk of missing the connecting flight should there be a long wait at PHL security. So if you have to choose, risk of bag being delayed or you miss the flight as well?

IMO doing what you propose is taking on unnecessary risk with no benefit as majority of bags are delivered on time to begin with.
ryanbriar, wrp96, tbrein and 2 others like this.

Last edited by seawolf; Aug 20, 22 at 6:52 pm
Old Aug 20, 22, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
IMO doing what you propose is taking on unnecessary risk with no benefit as majority of bags are delivered on time to begin with.
This is the key point. High risk with zero reward.

I had to check bags on several trips this spring / summer (including through LHR and across multiple airlines) and the only bag I lost was a ski bag at CDG in April. The folks in GVA is this was a common occurrence at CDG.

Not having a bag show up is beyond frustrating, but introducing additional variables into the equation (especially with a tight timeframe) likely wont end well.
wrp96 and Antarius like this.
Old Aug 20, 22, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

You have all convinced me. We will not do this. Thank you for all your help.
ashill and ryanbriar like this.

Search this Thread